• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I would just like to have a focused place where we can talk about the remaining session activity on the likeliest unfriendly bills (HB0786/SB0737) remaining on the known schedule. We know what these bills presently have in them and don't need more perspective. Their content is very unlikely to change at this point, so continued debate about their current or future content is not very productive to the purpose this thread.

I ask again. Is anyone planning to visit Annapolis on Monday? I haven't made up my mind about taking another day off yet. It is their last day, and I'd really like to stare at the eyes of any would-be infringers.

I know of one PP wwnc not me unfortunately It was in my plan but noon I can't do . I'm a contractor with deadlines and granite being installed Monday on a job

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Do we know who ran Friday's Senate sessions? Last journalized one had Mike present. Looks like he is trying to tough it out.

They have 12 hours and enough legislative sessions remaining to move things they have time for it appears.

Having a substitute president would I think slow things down a bit.

Only two bills that *appear* to be moving are the long gun transfer bill (with potential disagreement between the houses) and the hprb repeal bill (cross filled no disagreement).

Soon this will move over to the governor's office if they are hell bent to move these lousy bills.

I assume this late in the game leadership has to prioritize their floor time to decide what they want and what they risk not getting.

The lemon has been squeezed hard and this is all that's left.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Do we know who ran Friday's Senate sessions? Last journalized one had Mike present. Looks like he is trying to tough it out.

They have 12 hours and enough legislative sessions remaining to move things they have time for it appears.

Having a substitute president would I think slow things down a bit.

Only two bills that *appear* to be moving are the long gun transfer bill (with potential disagreement between the houses) and the hprb repeal bill (cross filled no disagreement).

Soon this will move over to the governor's office if they are hell bent to move these lousy bills.

I assume this late in the game leadership has to prioritize their floor time to decide what they want and what they risk not getting.

The lemon has been squeezed hard and this is all that's left.
    Kathy Klausmeier, in her role as President Pro Tem

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    My vote is on the SB Amish version passing. That version is a heck of a lot less stinky than the other HB version with the loaning BS in it.

Both have loan language added, and I doubt it. SB737 never even made it over to the House so I don't know how they'd have enough time at this point.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Both have loan language added, and I doubt it. SB737 never even made it over to the House so I don't know how they'd have enough time at this point.
    Soft kill? As hard a time that Mike Miller gets here, it seems that he makes no one happy on gun bills. He probably grew up with hunters, and this legislation affects this community particularly those seeking to buy used and get a discount from a private seller. Those who buy their long guns in gun stores are less affected. I think if there was a clear history of used long guns from secondary sales being used in the commission of crimes (that this legislation would prevent), there might be more urgency.

If I remember correctly, the Capital Gazette shooter bought his shotgun after passing a NICS check. And this tragic event is part of the impetus for this bill, in which the disturbed shooter could have been pursued earlier through the legal system, but the Gazette elected not to. Wonder if he could have been red flagged under current MD laws, which were possibly not in effect back then.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

But because the Senate amended HB0786, it would have to go back to the House for a new reader and floor vote, too. The only extra hurdle for the Senate bill would be the House Rules Committee, which as we saw with other bills, is a rubber stamp that takes a few minutes, if that's what House leadership wants.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Those aren’t defeatist questions, those are the words of a pro gun control, anti 2a hero wanna be, doing his best to convince others that taking away our rights is somehow helping them.

Anyone helping the leftists are leftists themselves no matter what they say to hide it.

No, it’s just that a handful of us are gun owners, pro-hunting and what we view as pro-2A, but aren’t absolutists with the second amendment or any of the amendments. If I got in a room with the MDA crowd and we listed out what we each thought was okay gun control we might have 1 or 2 things that overlapped out of dozens. A broken clock is right twice a day. I am against pretty much every gun control law on the books except background checks and (for the most part) what constitutes a prohibited person. That’s basically it. I don’t agree with how background checks are implemented now or what is proposed with SB737 or Hb786.

For the strategy moving forward, call as much as possible our legislators and show up on Monday if possible.

That is if you believe in luck, get a rabbits foot or pray if religious I guess.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Let's just talk about the remaining session activity on the likeliest unfriendly bills (HB0786/SB0737) remaining on the known schedule in this thread please. Save the bickering for Tuesday.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    The only extra hurdle for the Senate bill would be the House Rules Committee, which as we saw with other bills, is a rubber stamp that takes a few minutes, if that's what House leadership wants.

I'm not 100% certain but I think it would also need to go through three readings and a committee besides rules on the house side, which the house bill has already done. They haven't even seen the senate bill yet.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I've asked you nicely to stop the derailing comments and questions. I'm done asking.

I'm amazed that such apparently intentional muddying of the waters is allowed to continue and screw up threads.

You've had the patience of Job, my friend.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I am thinking about going to Annapolis tomorrow. I may not make it for the start, but I don't think I will be able to concentrate at work knowing that such tyranny may be constructed in our State Capitol.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Today in session, Del Kipke motioned to suspend the rules and move a bill from second to third reader and vote it in the same session. I had read that on some circumstances they could do that, but the requirements to do that are unknown to me.

They voted on the suspend the rules and then proceeded to vote and pass the third reader too. Could they use this instrument to advance HB0786/SB0737 faster?

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Patriot Picket will be at the Statehouse on Monday, Sine Die!

Patriot Picket will be there for the final day of the 2019 MGA session (“Sine Die”) from 12 PM until 12 AM, from Noon to Midnight!

Come when you can, stay as long as you like, leave when you need to ... wear your “WE WILL NOT COMPLY” (WWNC) shirts, PP gear or anything that suits you in your Patriotic frame of mind.

Note: Details of all Sine Die counter-cuck organized events, PP Cavalry Ride, PP meetups and meals, and all PP Sine Die Monday event/action updates, member questions and check- ins moved here:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=5537649#post5537649

Patriotism is as patriotism does ... and, as Patriots, you will be among friends.

See you there!

Click on this shareable PP link for more info, including easy parking options:

https://patriotpicket.org/f/patriot-picket-at-final-legislative-day-of-mga

Last edited:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Today in session, Del Kipke motioned to suspend the rules and move a bill from second to third reader and vote it in the same session. I had read that on some circumstances they could do that, but the requirements to do that are unknown to me.

They voted on the suspend the rules and then proceeded to vote and pass the third reader too. Could they use this instrument to advance HB0786/SB0737 faster?
    I believe the answer is yes on any bill that has had a hearing in both houses and that's why it isn't over till it's over

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Both houses are on legislative day 4/1 for Monday, so that gives them 8 sessions each. That's the whole legislative day versus calendar day concept. The committees can even meet. Yesterday, House Judiciary even left and met for a short meeting during the session, so the remaining delegates stayed and did things that didn't require roll call votes.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Both houses are on legislative day 4/1 for Monday, so that gives them 8 sessions each. That's the whole legislative day versus calendar day concept. The committees can even meet. Yesterday, House Judiciary even left and met for a short meeting during the session, so the remaining delegates stayed and did things that didn't require roll call votes.

And per Maryland's open meetings act, those side meetings are open to the public and anyone can attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom