• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    How did you come to this conclusion?

Although the other replies sum up my feelings pretty well, I’ll add on.

A first time offender getting to walk as a prohibited person doesn’t make this law fair. It’s a draconian measure that only restricts people who obey the law in the first place.

UBC’s won’t prevent any crime. Hardened criminals in and around Baltimore are what keeps this state’s crime rates high. Those people are already prohibited yet that doesn’t stop them from acquiring arms. The govt doesn’t do anything to slow them down, instead we lighten sentences across the board or drop gun charges entirely.

I’ve been held up before, by 2 dudes with rap sheets going back a decade with multiple arrests for armed robbery where the gun charges were dropped and they did less then half a year in the joint before doing it all again. This happened before the big “systematic blah blah let’s lower sentences” craze.

Guys like that aren’t stopped by UBC’s, they don’t fear jail and “fear of jail” is the only thing that gives law or government any authority. This law, like most laws, only serves to restrict the already law abiding even more while the MGA lets the criminal element run wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So, if the house and senate refuse to recede on their respective bills, a conference committee would be appointed. Would the conference committee recommendation need to be done (and passed by both chambers) before Sine Die?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    So, if the house and senate refuse to recede on their respective bills, a conference committee would be appointed. Would the conference committee recommendation need to be done (and passed by both chambers) before Sine Die?

That is my understanding. They'll be busy as beavers to get this one passed if they don't agree.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Yes. Well, sort of. To the best of my knowledge once both are passed on third reader it’ll go to conference. Though I think the senate could decide to adopt HB786 as written and vote on it at anytime (and vice versa once/or SB737 is passed on third reader).

But once both have passed on third reader since they were crossfilled the usual course of business is that a conference committee would be appointed.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Yes. Well, sort of. To the best of my knowledge once both are passed on third reader it’ll go to conference. Though I think the senate could decide to adopt HB786 as written and vote on it at anytime (and vice versa once/or SB737 is passed on third reader).

But once both have passed on third reader since they were crossfilled the usual course of business is that a conference committee would be appointed.

They have 64 hours left to form a conference committee, come to agreement, and hold final votes on one bill or the other or a conference-modified version. Busch being in the hospital throws a monkey wrench into House proceedings, so if there was going to be a final vote on one bill as-is by the other house, I'd guess Miller would be able to convince acting House leadership to vote on the Senate version. But anything can happen between now and midnight on the 8th.

Hopefully there is enough other critical business left that the clock will just run out on these bills. That happened a couple years ago with Miller's college campus carry ban a few years ago that died because a final Senate vote was unable to be taken before midnight. IIRC some friendly Senators were using parliamentary maneuvers to help run out that clock, and Miller was rather annoyed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and watching the clock tick down.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    They have 64 hours left to form a conference committee, have them come to agreement, and hold final votes on one bill or the other or a conference-modified version. Busch being in the hospital throws a monkey wrench into House proceedings, so if there was going to be a final vote on one bill as-is by the other house, I'd guess Miller would be able to convince acting House leadership to vote on the Senate version. But anything can happen between now and midnight on the 8th.

Hopefully there is enough other critical business left that the clock will just run out on these bills, like the college campus carry ban a few years ago that Miller pushed so hard for but that died before a final Senate vote was able to be taken before midnight, a couple years back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and watching the clock tick down.

hb0786/sb0737 are still in the Senate, and it's presently scheduled to go back in session at 10:00 Monday. That's 14 hours to get done there, go back to the House, make decisions, organize, and pass. Not impossible, but they're really going to have to want it.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    hb0786/sb0737 are still in the Senate, and it's presently scheduled to go back in session at 10:00 Monday. That's 14 hours to get done there, go back to the House, make decisions, organize, and pass. Not impossible, but they're really going to have to want it.

IIRC the floors don't have to be in session for a conference committee to be named and to complete their work. And backroom deals can be made any time of day or night, they just can't be ratified except between gavels.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    IIRC the floors don't have to be in session for a conference committee to be named and to complete its work. And backroom deals can be made any time of day or night, they just can't be ratified except between gavels.

They haven't had their amended and printed for third reader passed yet. There isn't anything to conference on.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    True. But that's where the backroom deals come in.

There is no understating the evil here. But, in this case, they only have 14 hours to execute on any pre-arranged deals. It's been done before. Is the juice worth the squeeze this time? Who knows, but I'm watching them like a hawk!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Yes, otherwise it dies.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    IIRC the floors don't have to be in session for a conference committee to be named and to complete their work. And backroom deals can be made any time of day or night, they just can't be ratified except between gavels.

Before a connference committee can be convened, the House has to not accept the amendments made by the Senate, that will take one session. The next session would be the appointment of a conference committee (yes they have to do that in a session). In between sessions the conference committee meets and tried to make the bill amenable to both chambers. Next session both chambers vote on the bill and either approve it or not.

Plenty of sessions left for Monday for them to do the above, not sure there is enough time.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Yeah, it's very weird how they differentiate between legislative day and calendar day. That gives them time to bank wiggle room into a closing schedule, then hold sessions one after another when needed. It seems like a system built to encourage slippery behavior.

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    I don't see this one passing unless leadership really wants it. Between third reader passage, house and senate getting their acts together and putting a conference committee together after Monday morning, there's a ton of other high priority stuff that it will be competing with.

SB1000 for me is the benchmark of what attention the leadership is giving to stuff it really wants, and this bill is a good distance behind that. Even Ferguson's bill (SB346) is farther along.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I don't see this one passing unless leadership really wants it. Between third reader passage, house and senate getting their acts together and putting a conference committee together after Monday morning, there's a ton of other high priority stuff that it will be competing with.

SB1000 for me is the benchmark of what attention the leadership is giving to stuff it really wants, and this bill is a good distance behind that. Even Ferguson's bill (SB346) is farther along.

I think the nail has been hit on the head. They really don't want to pass this as it will be a rallying call for the next election on how the current crop of legislators can not be trusted (see promises of FSA2013). If they run this one to the wire, they can tell their constituents that they tried, but ran out of time.

It's all political posturing.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

SB1000 is an example of how fast things can get moved when Miller's personal ego and sense of power are at stake.:sad20:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So by my count there have to be at least two sessions Monday for this to pass. One for third reader to pass, a second for the other chamber to concur. If not, two more sessions involving a conference and approval of the conference bill. Either one existing version passes or I think this dies. Probably the amish version with the ID exception.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    My hope is they run out of time. I feel like that is our last hope. Larry isn’t going to help us on anything.

I agree with you. Larry isn't likely to help with any of this, and even if he does, the Dems have a veto-proof majority in both houses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom