• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Kathy Afzali's response to my displeasure.....

I understand your concerns and I have them as well with 2nd Amendment issues. However, facts about HB 1302 are more important than what is on Facebook or social media.
    I, like Governor Hogan, supported the Red Flag bill because I don’t want people who are mentally deranged to have access to firearms. I fully support the 2nd Amendment, which is why I have an A rating from the National Rifle Association. However, I believe that convicted criminals and the seriously mentally ill should not have access to firearms. Currently Maryland says that if you are involuntarily committed to a mental institution you cannot purchase a firearm.

I heard the due process concerns after this legislation passed the House, and I worked with Republican members in the Senate (particularly Senator Hough) to address these. The House ended up passing the Senate version which addressed the due process concerns of many. The NRA was part of the workgroup on that bill. The NRA had several amendments added and, in the end, did not oppose the bill.

The following changes were made that I supported:

1. Any interested party was removed and those who can petition a court would now have to be law enforcement, family or a medical doctor

2. The final order requires a clear and convincing standard

3. Law enforcement can be held liable for damage to firearms and they must not mark the firearm and must store them in cases

4. Disqualified individuals can transfer their firearm to a dealer or family member, who is not in the same home

5. At every stage, judges can now order emergency mental health evaluations.

6. Timelines for speedy return of firearms for individuals who were cleared was added to the language.

I do not believe that someone who is an extreme risk of violence should have a firearm. I stand by my vote.

If you have any other question please call me at the number below as I am happy to discuss further.

I don't think that list is correct. But since the bill passed is not posted, how would you know!

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I don't think that list is correct. But since the bill passed is not posted, how would you know!

Right... She has corresponded back and forth with me the last couple weeks regarding this bill. She is pleasant enough in her emails to me but she might know me too. Her daughter dances at the same studio as mine so I think she, at least, recognizes my last name.

Oh well, she is running for County Exec. next. If its between her and Jan Gardner I might have to hold my nose.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    the final bill

House Bill 1302 as passed ("enrolled bill") is attached, or it may be downloaded directly from the Maryland General Assembly website here.

Attachments

• House Bill 1302 Enrolled.pdf
      700.9 KB · Views: 193

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge

I understand your concerns and I have them as well with 2nd Amendment issues. However, facts about HB 1302 are more important than what is on Facebook or social media.
    I, like Governor Hogan, supported the Red Flag bill because I don’t want people who are mentally deranged to have access to firearms. I fully support the 2nd Amendment, which is why I have an A rating from the National Rifle Association. However, I believe that convicted criminals and the seriously mentally ill should not have access to firearms. Currently Maryland says that if you are involuntarily committed to a mental institution you cannot purchase a firearm.

I heard the due process concerns after this legislation passed the House, and I worked with Republican members in the Senate (particularly Senator Hough) to address these. The House ended up passing the Senate version which addressed the due process concerns of many. The NRA was part of the workgroup on that bill. The NRA had several amendments added and, in the end, did not oppose the bill.

1. Any interested party was removed and those who can petition a court would now have to be law enforcement, family or a medical doctor

3. Law enforcement can be held liable for damage to firearms and they must not mark the firearm and must store them in cases

4. Disqualified individuals can transfer their firearm to a dealer or family member, who is not in the same home

6. Timelines for speedy return of firearms for individuals who were cleared was added to the language.

I do not believe that someone who is an extreme risk of violence should have a firearm. I stand by my vote.

If you have any other question please call me at the number below as I am happy to discuss further.

You should ask her if she is alright with someone who is an extreme risk of violence out walking the streets with access to knives, gasoline, vehicles and anything else that can be a weapon.

This bill is proof that Democrats only give a damn about people dying, if it was caused by someone wielding a gun.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Kathy Afzali says:

The House ended up passing the Senate version which addressed the due process concerns of many. The NRA was part of the workgroup on that bill. The NRA had several amendments added and, in the end, did not oppose the bill.

Ms. Afzali....explain to me how Due Process is in place when "many" say it is. We have Due Process when ALL agree it is not being violated.

Kathy, having talked to you many times trying to get this notion through your little chatterbox blizzard of deflections and excuses, I can tell you I will use every resource I have to keep you from the job promotion you seek in Frederick County. You do not have the character needed for continued public service and your career needs to end now.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

She's a dope, Hough worked his ass off to take some of the teeth out of this bill and then voted against it. I guess she didn't get the memo.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    So what does a Frederick county resident do come voting time with Kathy and Jan as choices for county exec?

Jan Gardner has privately stated her goal is to shut down every gun range in the county and attempted as much with Cresap Rifle Club.

Kathy Afzali we already know about.

Kathy stands on conservative platforms other than this. Jan is a far left progressive liberal.

Tough times to come for Frederick County.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So what does a Frederick county resident do come voting time with Kathy and Jan as choices for county exec?

Jan Gardner has privately stated her goal is to shut down every gun range in the county and attempted as much with Cresap Rifle Club.

Kathy Afzali we already know about.

Kathy stands on conservative platforms other than this. Jan is a far left progressive liberal.

Tough times to come for Frederick County.

Are those your only choices?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Are those your only choices?

I'm just guessing Afzali will be the party nominee. Currently she has stated she will be running for the county exec seat against incumbent Jan Gardner. No one else from the Republican side has stated they are running. Afzali is still popular in the area so I don't think anyone is going to run in a primary against her.

Some guy Pippy is running for Afzali's seat. He is a young guy. 2A supporter.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    So far Kirby Delauter and Regina Williams are also running for the Republican nomination. I don't think Gardener has any challenger.

I didn't know that. Good.

Gardner will not be primaried. All my left wing nut neighbors love her. I was wearing my new SOTAR shirt the other day, in the yard, and was asked what that was. I was happy to explain.

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Montgomery County Prosecutors weigh-in on the new Red Flag law.... this won't be abused.... :sad20:

https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/04/p...-approved-maryland-gun-sexual-predator-bills/

A day after Maryland lawmakers passed a series of gun-related bills, local prosecutors are breaking down how they can use those new laws as tools to protect the community.

State lawmakers passed a bill to enable judges to order someone to temporarily give up their firearms if they are found to pose an immediate threat. That will make a difference, according to Chief of the Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office Special Victims Unit Debbie Feinstein.

“If someone has a suspicion of a mental health concern, then they can go essentially get a protective order that’s going to be able to get the guns out of the hands of the person,” Feinstein said.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    So the statement...."The NRA had several amendments added and, in the end, did not oppose the bill. " is being ignored by everybody?

Is this true?

I was told by a delegate that the final bill has 90% of what the NRA wanted. That delegate also told me that he hadn’t (at that time) seen the final bill.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    “If someone has a suspicion of a mental health concern, then they can go essentially get a protective order that’s going to be able to get the guns out of the hands of the person,” Feinstein said.

Suspicion is the standard of Montgomery County? That seems like a pretty low standard.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    So the statement...."The NRA had several amendments added and, in the end, did not oppose the bill. " is being ignored by everybody?

Is this true?

I would like to see it from someone else besides a traitor. The nra testified against the bill. I doubt her saying the nra didn’t oppose it meant they supported it but I wouldn’t doubt here in md after doing all they could getting amendments added that the nra was going to spend much more time and effort here when they and everyone else knew the outcome ahead of time.

Just imagine how the nra felt after opposing these type bills in md and then all the republicans voting for these anti gun anti constitutional laws.

Shit if I was the nra rep I wouldn’t even come to the md GA.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Suspicion is the standard of Montgomery County? That seems like a pretty low standard.

What would happen if you suspected someone in Montgomery county was an illegal alien or a gang member?

Feinstein is chiming in on the Maryland bill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom