• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I do not think conference is immediate. For example SB0707 (bump stock ban) is getting a House hearing 4/3. To my eye, both House and Senate passed same language, but thats not the end.

I think that either the House or Senate or both need to vote either to accept the other chambers version, or vote to send to conference.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So the question is, now what. House and Senate passed different versions.

The House needs to pass the Senate version, or both house and Senate need to vote to go to a conference, I think.

Either the Senate needs to pass the House version or the Senate needs to pass the House version. If either side adds amendments, and the originating side does not accept the amendments, then it goes to conference committee.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The Senate version, no comprende. There is no cost or hazard that I understand the MSP would have running to the ALJ next if the HPRB overturned them. If the applicant fails, don't they have to pay to go to ALJ?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Just noticed the SJPC gave this bill a unanimous favorable report with amendments. I guess our side threw in the towel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Senate version retains an HPRB , but adds an additional step of Administrative Law Judge after HPRB , but before Md Circuit Court .

How that would work out in practice is presently wild guessing .

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Why if MSP is overruled, they wouldn't go with a de novo hearing with an ALJ? It is not an appeal on the record. They have your game plan now and be more than ready for it with evidence or argument not previously brought before HPRB. Honestly don't understand why this is better. Why wouldn't either side that loses not go the next step? I would hope an applicant could ask to go straight to the ALJ and save what now appears a meaningless step.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Why if MSP is overruled, they wouldn't go with a de novo hearing with an ALJ? It is not an appeal on the record. They have your game plan now and be more than ready for it with evidence or argument not previously brought before HPRB. Honestly don't understand why this is better. Why wouldn't either side that loses not go the next step? I would hope an applicant could ask to go straight to the ALJ and save what now appears a meaningless step.

I think you might appeal within MSP. Then to an ALJ Who would hear testimony and determine if the decision was supported by law and fact. It will look at the statute and ask whether the MSP had a basis to determine whether G&S reason did or did not exist. With the squishyness of the statute, the cases that have ruled against the applicant as precedent, good luck when this is taken out of the hands of an appointed bd. I think MSP will be able to substantially reduce permits if that is what a new governor directs. In the meantime the superintendent will still follow the governor’s directives. Maybe there is a lawyer here who practices admin law who can comment.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Fantastic. The state now spends $$ and wastes applicants time for a show trial, before the de novo hearing in front of an ALJ. The HPRB members don't get paid, but it's a make work program for the administrative staff for the volunteers.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Because, despite what one might think by hanging out here, the state government does other things, too.

yep, raise my taxes, add ******** red tape to my job, promise to repair roads and not doing it add undue burden to farmers along with taking my rights.

oh, but I forgot, if I drive 2 and a half hours I can get a dollar off the toll at the bay bridge.

it no longer matters whos in there since they all vote the same way.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The thing is , the latest version literally retains the HPRB . The Bill seeks to undermine it by a yet to be seen degree by adding ALJ imeadately above it in the appeals chain , but the Board is still there in current form .

819 sucks inherently , and is unnecessary . But since the Board is not abolished , and effects are ambiguous, by itself does not make a fruitful Litmus Test to be used in post game analysis that starts 4/10/ 18 for MGA, and 4/16/18 for the GOV .

We have 888 and 1032 for better predictors .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom