HB 1277 - Sales and Use Tax - Ammunition - Developmental Disabilities Funding - 50%

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BerettaTMC

Apr 12, 2010
    It is a sales and USE tax.... so that means that the 50% tax still applies to out of state purchases. The tax liability becomes payable to the state after the property (ammunition) is held in the state of Maryland for 30 consecutive days. Theoretically, all of our out of state purchases are subject to use tax anyway (and credit for any out of state sales tax is allowed up to the MD sales tax rate of 6%).

I can tell you in practice 99.9% of the people do not file anything with the state to remit that use tax. However, given this Regime's penchant for punishing gun ownership, I wouldn't be surprised to see sales and use tax audits targeting gun owners.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It is a sales and USE tax.... so that means that the 50% tax still applies to out of state purchases. The tax liability becomes payable to the state after the property (ammunition) is held in the state of Maryland for 30 consecutive days. Theoretically, all of our out of state purchases are subject to use tax anyway (and credit for any out of state sales tax is allowed up to the MD sales tax rate of 6%).

I can tell you in practice 99.9% of the people do not file anything with the state to remit that use tax. However, given this Regime's penchant for punishing gun ownership, I wouldn't be surprised to see sales and use tax audits targeting gun owners.

The comptroller (Pete Franchot), stated going after the internet tax is not feasable.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    correct. But it is NOT cross-filed and not going anywhere as a result, as I posted earlier in this thread

Um...I think there is plenty of time for this to be passed in the house and sent to senate without a cross file being necessary. However, I agree it may not or likely will not, but it still deserves a response to kill it in committee.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Done.

I oppose HB 1277, which will be heard in committee today, March 8th, 2013. I respectfully ask that you stand in opposition with me.

A 50% "tax" on items required to exercise a fundamental right is simply not acceptable. Would you support a 50% "tax" on Bibles or pens and paper?

What is your stance on this bill? Will you oppose it?

Sincerely,

BerettaTMC

Apr 12, 2010
    Sent:

I am writing today to strongly urge you to strike down proposed HB 1277 which aims to apply a 50% sales and use tax on ammunition. This proposal is an egregious and punitive attack on responsible and law abiding gun owners here in Maryland. From a practical standpoint, the passage of this bill would only result in lost revenues to Maryland merchants and less sales tax collected by the State. I and other shooting enthusiasts would merely go to ranges outside of the state and purchase and shoot the ammunition there. Maryland would not see a single cent of sales and use tax revenue in that scenario.

Any support for this piece of legislation would result in my financial and electoral support for your opponent in the next election.

BerettaTMC

Apr 12, 2010
    The comptroller (Pete Franchot), stated going after the internet tax is not feasable.

Well....when this Regime sees it as way to punish gun owners and they have our SSN to coordinate the audits...it is only a matter of time...

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Um...I think there is plenty of time for this to be passed in the house and sent to senate without a cross file being necessary. However, I agree it may not or likely will not, but it still deserves a response to kill it in committee.

OK, I'll concede that. The deadline to get it to the Senate is the 76th day of the session, or 3/25. So they have around 2 weeks to get it heard (today) then voted on by the committee, then passed on the House floor (3 readings and 3 votes), and over to the Senate.

Hopefully their schedules are too clogged up to get that done, even if they do pass this POS in committee.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    OK, I'll concede that. The deadline to get it to the Senate is the 76th day of the session, or 3/25. So they have around 2 weeks to get it heard (today) then voted on by the committee, then passed on the House floor (3 readings and 3 votes), and over to the Senate.

Hopefully their schedules are too clogged up to get that done, even if they do pass this POS in committee.

Yeah, I've got my fingers crossed on their being too clogged as well. Interestingly, only the sponser is on the committee and there are very few co-sponsers so hopefully a good sign.

davek

Feb 4, 2013
    2:40 pm and hb1277 has not been heard. Signup was closed today at noon. Folks like me that ran down and missed the cut of cannot testify....
    Will update when I can.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I posted this in another thread on this subject, but I will post it here. My wife and I have a daughter with a severe form of Cerebral Palsy. My wife has worked with many organization in Maryland for years. She was appointed to the Maryland Developmental Disability Counsel by Governor O'Malley. This is the state level organization. This bill has NEVER been brought up or mentioned to them. This is all on the sponsors. Neither her nor I support this bill in any form.

Joe Blow

Joe Blow
    Feb 2, 2012
    Southern MD
    Somebody is sitting around watching old Chris Rock standups, when he said he wouldn't ban guns he would make all bullets $5,000. Ridiculous

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    This should get all Maryland hunters riled up. Some of them may not care about the anti-evil black rifle bills; but this sales tax on ammunition affects EVERYONE.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    This should get all Maryland hunters riled up. Some of them may not care about the anti-evil black rifle bills; but this sales tax on ammunition affects EVERYONE.

but.. but. MOMmy says he will not infringe the hunters?!? :lol2::lol2::lol::lol2::lol::lol2::lol::lol2::lol::lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom