• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    A year or so ago, these were floating around, and someone posted a warning about it on the Facebook Mosin page. I made a sarcastic comment about buying some stamps, and stamping my Mossberg 500s to resell as Finn captures, thinking people would obviously know I was kidding. Nope, they warned the group about me, and blocked and banned me. On a side note, if someone is looking for a SA Finn capture Mossberg 500, from WW2/Winter War, I might be able to hook you up.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    A year or so ago, these were floating around, and someone posted a warning about it on the Facebook Mosin page. I made a sarcastic comment about buying some stamps, and stamping my Mossberg 500s to resell as Finn captures, thinking people would obviously know I was kidding. Nope, they warned the group about me, and blocked and banned me.

Not a big loss to you, from what I (briefly) saw over there.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    There have been some importers/ distributors known to do this.

Jul 1, 2012
    I was thinking of the same thing... fortunately those Star's are very easy to identify.
    The Waffenamt isn't correct, and without fail (at least so far) they are all dipped/reblued and/or have the small "B" number matching the frame, slide & barrel with a small font.
    The few German contract guns with B numbers used a much larger font.
    Most importantly the S/N's are well known for the Bulgarian (faked) and German contracts.
    It still doesn't stop the uninformed seller (or buyer) from passing these off as genuine.

There's a whole 'nother category, which is restored guns (think equivalent of Turnbulls).
    I'm ambivalent about those, but usually you can tell because they are too nice.
    One infamous guy would restore the guns and then age them and sell as original.
    More than a few Luger and P38 owners have found his work the hard way.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    There's a whole 'nother category, which is restored guns (think equivalent of Turnbulls).
    I'm ambivalent about those, but usually you can tell because they are too nice.
    One infamous guy would restore the guns and then age them and sell as original.
    More than a few Luger and P38 owners have found his work the hard way.

I'm fighting against this syndrome with a gun that I'm slowly piecing together to figure out what it is, how it came to be, etc. Several people--including very knowledgeable guys in the field--immediately dismissed it as a fake or a restoration. It just looks too good not to be, is their reasoning, and I was inclined to believe them for awhile. But now one of the things that initially made me think that fakery was involved (a flaw in the roll mark) is turning out to be the thing that's showing it to be original, since I've located two others with the same flaw from a broken die--in the same contract and time period.

It's rare, but sometimes a gun is "too nice" because it was a Safe Queen for decades. It's nice when that happens.

Jul 1, 2012
    Yep, you have to look at both the intimate details and the gun as a whole, as well as the historical context.
    For instance finding an early high polish P.38 (or 1911) in pristine condition is a yellow flag.
    They exist, but very uncommon due to the chaos it would have to survive during the war.
    So many bring-back guns got abused as well... it's speculated that many nice ones actually saw most of their wear stateside.

It's a continual learning experience which is part of what makes it so fun & interesting.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If anyone is interested I have a genuine Gen 3 Waffenamt stamped Glock 17. With original issue WW1 Russian Kydex holster.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm fighting against this syndrome with a gun that I'm slowly piecing together to figure out what it is, how it came to be, etc. Several people--including very knowledgeable guys in the field--immediately dismissed it as a fake or a restoration. It just looks too good not to be, is their reasoning, and I was inclined to believe them for awhile. But now one of the things that initially made me think that fakery was involved (a flaw in the roll mark) is turning out to be the thing that's showing it to be original, since I've located two others with the same flaw from a broken die--in the same contract and time period.

It's rare, but sometimes a gun is "too nice" because it was a Safe Queen for decades. It's nice when that happens.

SoMDMustangs is the expert on P38s but I seem to remember Spreewerke examples stamped with a broken die. It does happen, esp in stressful situations (aka "last ditch" examples).

Jul 1, 2012
    Yes, the main "CYQ" on the slide in the late-war pieces was a broken/worn die that looks like "CVQ"
    The E/88 Waffenamts on the slide of Spreewerk P38's are usually partially worn, broken, or poorly stamped.
    I've got one with the CYQ stamped upside down, and some are known with it stamped vertically.
    Spreewerk P38's have a lot of interesting boo-boos and rough machining marks which made them less desirable until recently.

Jul 1, 2012
    yeah, I wasn't going to go there...
    (Spreewerk used mostly forced labor, while Walther and Mauser for the most part used paid employees).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom