• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Yeah cant co-witness...but you just helped me though...I held the position as if I was looking for the iron sights and there that dot was...gonna work this some more.
    ??
    The Hellcat is a "Co-witness Machine"
    I have an original Hellcat OSP with a shield,, The Co-witness has ruined me to all other handguns.
    hellcat2.jpg

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Also, PA now has the Holosun HS507K-X2 with the Vulcan reticle.
    The 507 is native mount on the Hellcat,, so the beautiful factory irons will co-witness.

The Vulcan reticle will get you lined up quick

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Just get training in a specific red dot course. Sig has great courses for beginners. Very well structured. You will learn the nuances of red dot.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I was taught "drop the ball in the bucket" during presentation of a handgun to acquire the sights. Meaning as you raise and punch out the pistol, find the front sight dot as it comes into your line of sight, keep raising it till that drops into the rear notch. Of course practicing the draw and presentation to point shoot soon as it clears the holster will greatly speed this up.

For me, I draw and rotate out, as I raise a RD equipped pistol I find the front sight and drop it in the bucket as I always have, at some point I see the front sight in the dot window, at this point you can fire and hit within a couple inches, then as the pistol rises the rear sight and dot are visible and you can make aimed shots. From there it's all grip, recoil and trigger control to get the dot to return to the target after each shot. Takes practice, IMO co-witnessed irons are a requirement on a defensive pistol, eventually you just draw and there is the dot on target without really thinking about it.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    cannot co-witness the Hellcat Pro and the optics I have.
    Yikes.
    The kludge kinda defeats the whole concept of the Hellcat.
    The Beauty of the Hellcat is that it sits a native (rmsc) optic low.
    The 507K is a rmsc footprint

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I found this interesting. I don’t have a red dot pistol and did not realize there was such a steep learning curve.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Using sights to find the dot isn't realllllllly the best way because it's still forcing your eyes to the gun and not letting them stay on the target. One of the biggest advantages of a red dot is being able to be focused on the target, with the dot superimposing itself over it.

With a dot, it's kind of all about practicing grip and building muscle memory to point at a target then have your dot show up. Looking at the gun ruins that. It's maybe a time where a rail mounted laser could be of benefit to use for lots and lots of dry fire practice. You want your brain trained to be looking at the target, not looking for the sights on the gun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Using sights to find the dot isn't realllllllly the best way because it's still forcing your eyes to the gun and not letting them stay on the target. One of the biggest advantages of a red dot is being able to be focused on the target, with the dot superimposing itself over it.

With a dot, it's kind of all about practicing grip and building muscle memory to point at a target then have your dot show up. Looking at the gun ruins that. It's maybe a time where a rail mounted laser could be of benefit to use for lots and lots of dry fire practice. You want your brain trained to be looking at the target, not looking for the sights on the gun.
    Exactly. You can use your co-witnessing sights to shoot, but you aren't learning how to shoot a RDS. You're only delaying it.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    cannot co-witness the Hellcat Pro and the optics I have.
    You need an optic that has an RMSc footprint. That will get rid of the bulky adapter between your optic and slide. It will make your optic seat lower than your irons.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You could always sell the Trijicon and buy one of the compatible RDS that the slide is cut for.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Take a Modern Samurai Class.
    Excuse me, I was told that 2 day performance-oriented classes were ableist and elitist, and advocating them made you a terrible person. That said, you're not wrong, and there are some interim options that local trainer outfits (JDC, Green Ops, etc.) offer that will also help. I think MSP is a great option, but you want to be reasonably dialed in to get the most out of it.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to dry-firing regularly and really dialing in that index.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Yikes.
    The kludge kinda defeats the whole concept of the Hellcat.
    The Beauty of the Hellcat is that it sits a native (rmsc) optic low.
    The 507K is a rmsc footprint
    Good to know. Unfortunately I listened to the armorer at the gun shop I bought both the Hellcat from and the Trijicon. Lessoned learned. Trijicon RMRcc for sale…lol

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Now THAT is what this forum is all about. Cool!
    And I am even better today. I woke up at 4am stumbled to go pee…walked by my office and picked it up and went right to the dot. BUT, I am going to pause and replace the optics with the correct one For the Hellcat Pro

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    And I am even better today. I woke up at 4am stumbled to go pee…walked by my office and picked it up and went right to the dot. BUT, I am going to pause and replace the optics with the correct one For the Hellcat Pro
    I would look hard at the PA/Holosun 507K ACSS Vulcan, it will sit low, and provide the "self correcting" large outer ring in the reticle.
    Not sure if it will 100% cowitness or "mostly" cowitness,, either way, I will be replacing my Shield SMSc with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom