• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Practice or get the Holosun ACSS has a big circle rim around the reticle that can only be seen when the dot is not centered, that will allow you to center the dot faster
    I got the 509T-ED X2. Right now, it's living on my range gun, a G19, but my plan is to move it to my on my 6" 10mm for hunting. I'm finding I don't need or like the circle/dot combination. I find the circle too distracting and I don't need the extra help it provides for finding the dot. I'm going with the simple dot.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I have a new Hellcat Pro with a Trijicon RMRcc optic.

This is my first handgun with optics and honestly, I'm not a fan. It is not my carry. (My carry is a Beretta PX4 Storm SC).

Is there some trick to lining that pistol up so I can see the red dot? I raise the pistol and then struggle to see the dot (brightness not an issue)...the dot just isn't there. Takes me a bit to actually see it. When I lower it and bring it back to same position, once again I am fighting to see the red dot again.

Any suggestions?

Seen a few guys fail their CCW practical test with red dots. I tell people to save there money unless they plan on knocking down doors.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Seen a few guys fail their CCW practical test with red dots. I tell people to save there money unless they plan on knocking down doors.
    Yeah? I shot my qual worse because I wasn't allowed to use my red dot. Take 15 minutes to watch Mas's YT video at post #77.
    Truer words were never spoken. I'm going on 65 years and I am much faster and more accurate with a RDS on my handguns.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Yeah? I shot my qual worse because I wasn't allowed to use my red dot. Take 15 minutes to watch Mas's YT video at post #77.
    Truer words were never spoken. I'm going on 65 years and I am much faster and more accurate with a RDS on my handguns.

Yes, no doubt that if you know how to use it, target acquisition will be faster. However, few people practice fast shooting skills, I do, but even for me, I sometimes have to force myself. Just enjoy those smaller group sizes.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I have a new Hellcat Pro with a Trijicon RMRcc optic.

This is my first handgun with optics and honestly, I'm not a fan. It is not my carry. (My carry is a Beretta PX4 Storm SC).

Is there some trick to lining that pistol up so I can see the red dot? I raise the pistol and then struggle to see the dot (brightness not an issue)...the dot just isn't there. Takes me a bit to actually see it. When I lower it and bring it back to same position, once again I am fighting to see the red dot again.

Any suggestions?
    Oh no! You “must” be mistaken! 3/4 of the handgun community has “seen the light” and gone to slide mounted compact red dot sights. You must be defective!
    Seriously, you are NOT defective, but you are discovering that a red dot on a pistol is NOT necessarily a magic death ray.
    I own pistols both with, and without red dot sights and have “fiddled” with them since you basically mounted a beer can sized Weaver, Trashco or Millett on top of your NRA Action Pistol or IPSC gun and hoped the crappy tech of the day would let the dot actually stay ON for a whole match (or at least the next stage!)
    But YES, there is a learning curve, even though the technology has greatly improved, and that’s not as much of an issue that it once was, you still can’t just pick one up and “go to town” with it. You need to put in some serious dry fire “draw and acquire” drills, with the goal of solidifying an iron clad initial grip and hand-wrist consistency that causes you to see that red dot right away, every time. And I think it is a perishable skill, so some periodic refresher training is advisable.
    I have decided that for myself, a red dot on a pistol or revolver is an accuracy enhancer, not necessarily an across the board speed enhancer. I will always maintain proficiency with iron sights as a primary option. Good luck. Develop muscle memory and an identical presentation to acquire that dot!

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    I bet 90% bought the red dots and slapped them on.
    2% might've sighted them properly, but didn't practice enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom