• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    On opening morning of the Utah elk season I got up at 4:45 and made some coffee and breakfast and hiked down the mountain to where I had killed an elk last year. About 9:35 a bull and cow appear about 200yards away. I had the light weight 260 Rem Eddie Harren had built for me and the shot was very easy except for the sun angle. The Berger 140 Hybrid went through the lungs and broke the offside shoulder. Interestingly enough the cow did not die and I had to finish her off. I have seen this happen with other animals which are lung shot and fall so the entrance and exit holes are closed up. This prevents the collapse of the lungs and with the animal immobile there is enough oxygen transfer going on to allow them to stay alive (my opinion).

Three fragments of the bullet exited and the knife blade points to the exit wound.

Things happened in a hurry so there was no time to video the shot on the cow but after the shot I took a video of the bull who wandered off rather aimlessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoS7J91jX0E&list=UUgYpXTM8EypQRgbUh-rhgVg&index=1&feature=plcp

The rifle weighs about 6 pounds 11 ounces without the bipod. It has 20 inch barrel, MacMillan lightweight stock, 2 pound trigger on a Rem short action with a Nightforce 2.5-10X scope with a medium velocity reticle.

Attachments

• 2012elk.JPG
      2012elk.JPG
      173.4 KB · Views: 148
    • 2012elk (4).jpg
      2012elk (4).jpg
      118.8 KB · Views: 145
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads