• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yep Region B of the state is not allowed to use handguns:
    I think Frederick County is an "exception" though, and I think someone mentioned something about Montgomery County as well, I don't know.

I think you said you were in Delaware ?

No, I'm in Virginia. I can go handgun hunting one county over. I'm taking a 1911 in 10mm :D That should do the trick.

Jim

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I just got a reply back Dave Heilmeier regarding the handgun hunting issue is Region B, give me a bit / tomorrow morning, maybe, and I'll post his reply with his recommendation on pursuing the issue. I have a few things I want to investigate and research and I'll update ASAP on this matter.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    UPDATE: 9/30/2010 Handgun Deer Hunting Regulation

UPDATE: 9/30/2010 Handgun Deer Hunting Regulation -

I am still in the process of producing the documents for introducing a petition and submitting public comments for proposal changes to Maryland Deer hunting handgun regulations, so, I'll get to the point...

I did get a reply from David Heilmeier and his summary of the issue was for all requests to be directed to the Maryland Wildlife and Heritage Service, directed by Mr. Paul Peditto, which I am currently awaiting correspondence from Mr. Peditto on the matter.

Mr. Heilmeier also alerted me to the fact that the next session for regulation change proposals related to the Handgun regulations in Region B will not be until early year 2012, so, what that means is, we have plenty of time to make an effort to support a proposal for change in the regulation.

I have completed a new resource on the SMST website to submit a petition with public comments in support of the regulation change proposal. I will soon have available for download and printing the three files for supporting the petition. The three files that are finalized, but, not currently available for public use is, the Letter of Petition, Petition Privacy Policy, and the Petition Signature forms. All three forms will be available for download and printing so that anyone wishing to collect signatures can print the packet, collect signatures, and then return their signature forms to me so that I can compile them and submit all the forms in one presentation in January 2012. I also have an online form so that folks can submit their information online.

I will update everyone on the release of the forms in a day or two, but, I have some more political correspondences to secure first before I can allow the release of the petition process. so, I'll be back soon.

If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know.

In the meantime, I would like to ask for continued support of the ongoing petition regarding the "Roof Over The Range" roof project for the Myrtle Grove shooting range, and it's addendum documents related to other requested upgrades, so, please visit the SMST website and sign the petition, this petition has to be submitted for the 2011-2012 budget proposals, so, time is running short.

downforthecause

refugee from communist MD
    Nov 13, 2009
    Push for a reform of the whole state! Make an argument for the muzzle energy requirements not matching up among different weapons, etc. Rifles should be allowed at all times and places IMO. Harp on the fact that that they provide for a more humane kill with more energy, and accuracy for better placed shots. Also, bring up the argument that women (my wife anyway) has a hard time and feels discriminated against as she cannot readily handle the hard pull of a bow, recoil of a shotgun with slugs (even .410), etc. I think all weapons should be allowed if they provide so many inches of penetration, and match the energy produced by legal bow standards!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Push for a reform of the whole state! Make an argument for the muzzle energy requirements not matching up among different weapons, etc. Rifles should be allowed at all times and places IMO. Harp on the fact that that they provide for a more humane kill with more energy, and accuracy for better placed shots. Also, bring up the argument that women (my wife anyway) has a hard time and feels discriminated against as she cannot readily handle the hard pull of a bow, recoil of a shotgun with slugs (even .410), etc. I think all weapons should be allowed if they provide so many inches of penetration, and match the energy produced by legal bow standards!

Way ahead of you, thanks for the feedback.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Although the title of the thread was originally stated as "Southern Maryland", I want to make it clear to everyone that the efforts behind this proposal submission is for the entire state of Maryland. :party29:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    UPDATE: Reply from Paul Peditto

Here is the reply I received from Mr. Peditto and I am still awaiting the information from Mr. Jayne, so, when I receive the correspondence from him, I will proceed with the pending petition and gathering of public comments for the proposal. I'm glad that Mr. Peditto mentioned the fact that we have plenty of time to pursue public input for the proposal. Here's the reply from Mr. Peditto:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: "smst@somd.net" <smst@somd.net>
    CC: "Jayne, Peter" <PJAYNE@dnr.state.md.us>
    Subject: RE: 2012 Proposal Submissions
    Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:15:21 -0400

Mr. Owens,

Thank you for your question. Pete Jayne, our Assoc. Director for Game Species management will download the details to you shortly. However, you should know that we are a long way from starting the 2012 process so you have not missed out any opportunities for providing input.

Thank you again for the interest and look for a follow-up note from Pete.

Sincerely,
    Paul
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I read the start of the thread, then missed the middle.

The rifle ( & handgun) vs shotgun regs predate the existence of Deer Management Zones. They were establish primarily by counties.

I'll have to go back to quote the source, but just read that a recent study found that when fired at a target at ground level a 12ga firing modern jacketed sabot load actually had larger danger zone ( direct impact plus richocet) than a 150gr .30-06 . Of course in MD if we point that out we are in at least equal probability that they would want to restrict sabot slugs.

Another tact to follow is that of some areas of VA that allow rifles when used from 10 foot elevation in otherwise shotgun area.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    PDF files are available to download and print to collect signatures from your group, club, or anyone who might be interested in supporting the regulation change on the petition page.
    Pass this on to everyone you know.

"Petition To Allow Modern Handgun Hunting
    In Region B Of Maryland - 2012 Proposal"

This Petition Is Sponsored By:
    Southern Maryland Shooting Times

This petition is now available to the public for reviewing and signing.
    All of the details can be found by visiting the petitions page below.
    Closing date for SMST Petition / Public Comment is October 1, 2011

Review & Sign Petition Here

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom