• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Depends on the gun. My Glock has only been completely taken apart once in its 4000 round life, but I field strip it to clean it every few hundred rounds.

somddude

Has a big Member
    Mar 14, 2010
    Brandywine, Marylandistan
    I field strip and clean every time I shoot a weapon. Completely disassemble? I wouldn't attempt myself, and would wait until it had problems first. Then let a gunsmith or armorer play with it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I clean mine every 500 rounds or so, or after I just used Wolf ammo. As long as it's lubed properly and you don't have rocks/sticks/dirt in the gun, it should work fine. If it doesn't, find one that does.

Jim

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    clean wats dat? :)

besides field stripping, i just brush and blow w/ air what i can reach.. close to 10k of rounds.. still ticking.

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    Depends a lot on the gun and the ammo. My Tokerev shooting surplus corrosive ammo, gets a much more detailed cleaning than my CZ82 shooting new production non corrosive ammo.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    Glock suggests that you should have your Glock detail cleaned by an armorer yearly.

As a GSSF member, if you can attend at least one shooting competition a year, a Glock armorer at that shooting competition will perform service and replace any needed parts for all your Glock handguns for free.

Since they no longer have the GSSF annual shooting competitions that used to be held in Maryland or Virginia, the nearest one for me is in Topton, Pennsylvania.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Unless I am using corrosive ammo of some kind I rarely if ever clean my guns, unless I experience a problem. My Glock is going at 2000 and my CZ-75 made it to 1500 before I cleaned it but it turned out to just be bad ammo.

You shouldn't need to ever detail strip your gun to clean it but most guns have a servie life on their springs and I believe Glocks are right around 10K rounds for springs.

SungJunKim

R.I.P.
    Dec 25, 2009
    Maintenance is a constant thing. I clean mine every time after I fire them. But thats Army brainwashing......

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I'll field strip a pistol and give a pistol a "whores bath" each time I shoot it. I'll disassemble the entire thing before a major match and check all parts in case replacement is needed.
    4-5 times a year it gets all pins punched and a through going over.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I just wear mine in the shower. I live in fear that the shower zombies will rise up from the drain and attack.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I pulled out one of my .22s (a Mark II Ruger) the other day and found rust on the take-down lever on the rear of the handle. I scrubbed it with Break Free and finally got rid of it; but there was no other rust. It's a stainless gun and I've found that rust can pop up just about anywhere on both stainless and blue guns. Having said that, it's very rare; however, once rust gets started, it can be a bear to remove. Naval Jelly gets rid of it very effectively, but it also gets rid of bluing.

Generally, just shooting your guns will be adequate. You just have to watch your safe queens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom