• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DE0529

Dec 27, 2015
    Germantown
    Hello all! Recently I went through the HQL process and it went active on 01/05. A few days after receiving the card, went and bought a Buck mark from Atlantic guns. Friday 01/23 was supposed to be the end of my waiting period but when I called to make sure I could pick the gun up, the guy told me the MSP had a hold on my application because of a discrepancy. I was told I needed to call the MSP and talk to the them to find out what was wrong. So I called and left a message. Has anyone ever gone through this? I'm assuming if it was a serious problem, they would have pulled up to my door, but I cannot figure out what it might be especially considering they JUST approved the HQL and the person at the shop said everything looked good on my application. I know no one will have a definite answer to this question, but I'm kind of pissed off and venting because I expected to have the gun this weekend.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I've had it happen but before the HQL. The dealer knew me and I had picked up another purchase from them a week or two before. On the purchase in question, my FFL released after 7 days then I got a letter from MSP saying it should have been disapproved. Already had the gun. Turns out it was an error on the paperwork. Went back re-did paperwork and all is well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DE0529

Dec 27, 2015
    Germantown
    Thanks for the quick reply rbird! I hope it's something simple like that. It would be nice if they return my call on Monday and I'm able to pick it up.

DE0529

Dec 27, 2015
    Germantown
    Let us know how it goes. In all likelihood, it's probably nothing.

Will do!

Likely nothing. I've seen people "Disaaproved - Prohibited" days after getting an HQL in the mail, however.

Do you know why people get the HQL and then get "Disapproved-Prohibited" on the gun application? And how is that resolved? Will it be an issue every time I want a handgun?

Probably just dotted a "T" and crossed an "I" by mistake

Hope it's something that simple. Only thing I'm concerned with now is I wont get a call back or resolution until week after next because of the blizzard. I called twice on Friday and I swear he sent me to voicemail the second time I called. LOL!

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I speculate the disapproved or not disapproved comes from the 2 unrelated but identical background checks the MSP performs. Disapprovals usually come about because someone typed in a name that didn't match the spelling of the name associated with that SS number in the database. Would be simple to fix if they double checked their entry before they put a hold on the application.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    He might have just left a block on the form empty or inverted some numbers. They usually don't just disapprove those out of hand, but rather call and try to correct/obtain the necessary info.

If it was something really bad, they would have just disapproved it.

DE0529

Dec 27, 2015
    Germantown
    no info yet?

Yes, see below.

I speculate the disapproved or not disapproved comes from the 2 unrelated but identical background checks the MSP performs. Disapprovals usually come about because someone typed in a name that didn't match the spelling of the name associated with that SS number in the database. Would be simple to fix if they double checked their entry before they put a hold on the application.

It's still on hold, not disapproved or approved just yet.

He might have just left a block on the form empty or inverted some numbers. They usually don't just disapprove those out of hand, but rather call and try to correct/obtain the necessary info.

If it was something really bad, they would have just disapproved it.

Hi everyone, took me a couple of days to talk to MSP, but I got some info. I was arrested over a decade ago and the charges were dropped. My home state does not have a resolution on file for the charges, meaning when MSP did the background check, it didn't say I was not convicted, which I wasn't, and it didn't say convicted either, hence why the application was not disapproved. I was told I need to contact the court and get them to say I was not convicted on official letterhead and get it to them. There is no time limit, and there aren't any penalties or fees associated with it. The trooper told me it didn't matter if they got the document from the court or from me, as long as it was on official letterhead.

Here's where it gets interesting. And I hope I don't piss any troopers off and they make this shit harder for me than it already is. The trooper told me, they found the arrest record when I applied for the HQL. They requested the info from my home state and since my state did not reply with not convicted/convicted in 30 days MD approved the HQL because Maryland is a Shall Issue state when it comes to the HQL. It took about 30 days to get my HQL, so if yours seems to be taking longer than normal, it could be because if you have any arrest or convictions, your state could be taking a while to respond, it might not be entirely MSP's fault.

I'm going to be working with a friend of mine that's a lawyer back home to see about getting the proper paper work. After doing a little research, I also learned that at least where I'm from, arrest can be expunged from your record. I did not know that. I'm waiting to talk to my friend and see if I have to show up in court to complete the expunging process or if its something I can do while I'm here.

I will say, this has been a slight pain, but overall not that bad. I wish MSP would have held the HQL and told me about this BEFORE I purchased the pistol, because now I have a paid for gun sitting at the gun shop waiting for this to be resolved. I called the gun shop this morning and they said everything is fine and just keep in touch.

So if I can offer any advice on my experience so far, is if you know you have something in your past, maybe see if everything is good before you start the HQL process. Obviously, I knew I wasnt convicted, but had no idea my state didnt have a resolution on the books.

I'll keep you guys posted and let you know how it turns out. Before I forget, I did ask the trooper if I would have to go through this every time I wanted to purchase a pistol and she said no, once they received the information, my profile will be updated.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yes, see below.

Hi everyone, took me a couple of days to talk to MSP, but I got some info. I was arrested over a decade ago and the charges were dropped. My home state does not have a resolution on file for the charges, meaning when MSP did the background check, it didn't say I was not convicted, which I wasn't, and it didn't say convicted either, hence why the application was not disapproved. I was told I need to contact the court and get them to say I was not convicted on official letterhead and get it to them. There is no time limit, and there aren't any penalties or fees associated with it. The trooper told me it didn't matter if they got the document from the court or from me, as long as it was on official letterhead.

Here's where it gets interesting. And I hope I don't piss any troopers off and they make this shit harder for me than it already is. The trooper told me, they found the arrest record when I applied for the HQL. They requested the info from my home state and since my state did not reply with not convicted/convicted in 30 days MD approved the HQL because Maryland is a Shall Issue state when it comes to the HQL. It took about 30 days to get my HQL, so if yours seems to be taking longer than normal, it could be because if you have any arrest or convictions, your state could be taking a while to respond, it might not be entirely MSP's fault.

I'm going to be working with a friend of mine that's a lawyer back home to see about getting the proper paper work. After doing a little research, I also learned that at least where I'm from, arrest can be expunged from your record. I did not know that. I'm waiting to talk to my friend and see if I have to show up in court to complete the expunging process or if its something I can do while I'm here.

I will say, this has been a slight pain, but overall not that bad. I wish MSP would have held the HQL and told me about this BEFORE I purchased the pistol, because now I have a paid for gun sitting at the gun shop waiting for this to be resolved. I called the gun shop this morning and they said everything is fine and just keep in touch.

So if I can offer any advice on my experience so far, is if you know you have something in your past, maybe see if everything is good before you start the HQL process. Obviously, I knew I wasnt convicted, but had no idea my state didnt have a resolution on the books.

I'll keep you guys posted and let you know how it turns out. Before I forget, I did ask the trooper if I would have to go through this every time I wanted to purchase a pistol and she said no, once they received the information, my profile will be updated.

"Shall issue" is really how it should be. I am glad to hear that they are following the law on this.

DE0529

Dec 27, 2015
    Germantown
    Forgot to add the other issues I had with MSP personnel that is making the process a bit harder, but wont stop anything. The first time I called the licensing division, I left a message for the trooper for that day and he never called me back. The second trooper I talked to; and she had such a condescending tone and attitude; asked for my email address and said she was going to email me her information so I could get the resolution to them and she update my profile, never emailed me.

Like I said, it could be worse, but that's the little sh*t they do to make the process even harder than it needs to be.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Yes, see below.

Glad it's working out for you but I just shake my head at how it's the citizen's job to jump through hoops to prove they were cleared and not MSP's to prove otherwise. I hope the state in question has better record keeping on archived cases than Maryland courts do. I had to do some old case disposition research and it was absurdly slow, expensive (yes they charged us even though we were a county government), and never did provide a resolution in a lot of cases because the records were so incomplete. Literally people going through old boxes in a basement to try to find paper records.

DE0529

Dec 27, 2015
    Germantown
    Thanks zoostation! Yes it is a pain. I'm hoping they dont give me a problem because the arrest was a few years before a huge flood devastated the area.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    see that is where you went wrong

Thanks zoostation! Yes it is a pain. I'm hoping they dont give me a problem because the arrest was a few years before a huge flood devastated the area.

You are supposed to be bad DURING or RIGHT AFTER the flood. :) J/K You will be fine....

DE0529

Dec 27, 2015
    Germantown
    I have a quick question. Will the issues I'm facing with my handgun application stop me from buying a long gun? Lets say a .22lr, SKS or O/U shotgun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom