• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1Shifter

Sep 9, 2013
    I hope everyone is getting thru this snow storm okay. A buddy of mine is interested in getting a C&R to purchase a handgun. Does he need to have the handgun license to purchase or will the 03 suffice? I'm sure that this has probably be asked many times before but this storm is messing with my internet connection (I use a satellite provider).

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    An 03 (C&R) is only for Out of State purchase. You cannot use it in Maryland to purchase a handgun. I want to say you do not need the HQL to buy a C&R pistol out of State, but, I have no certs to back up my "opinion"

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Short answer.... 03FFL for out of state purchase of a c&r is good. In state, you go through a dealer or the MSP and the fact it is a c&r handgun exempts the need for a HQL... you don't need a 03 FFL. You can't buy handguns out of state period without having a FFL03 for C&R guns or going through a in state (your own state) dealer. Longer more detailed answers to this question are in the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    I believe one of the hql exemptions states curio or relic. But you can't purchase a modern handgun that way. And the cr handgun would have to be from out of state.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 7.0 II using Tapatalk

1Shifter

Sep 9, 2013
    Short answer.... 03FFL for out of state purchase of a c&r is good. In state, you go through a dealer or the MSP and the fact it is a c&r handgun exempts the need for a HQL... you don't need a 03 FFL. You can't buy handguns out of state period without having a FFL03 for C&R guns or going through a in state (your own state) dealer. Longer more detailed answers to this question are in the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.

Thank you all...Handguns are not my thing but I may buy a couple before that changes too.

1Shifter

Sep 9, 2013
    An 03 (C&R) is only for Out of State purchase. You cannot use it in Maryland to purchase a handgun. I want to say you do not need the HQL to buy a C&R pistol out of State, but, I have no certs to back up my "opinion"

Thank you sir, stay safe in this storm

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I believe one of the hql exemptions states curio or relic. But you can't purchase a modern handgun that way. And the cr handgun would have to be from out of state.

That's correct

No HQL required for in state purchases of C&R handguns. This is for everyone.

If I had a C&R, I would be sooo broke.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That's correct

No HQL required for in state purchases of C&R handguns. This is for everyone.

If I had a C&R, I would be sooo broke.
    To extend the above comment, you also don't need a C&R for purchase of C&R handguns in state. A CZ-82, P64, and the right flavor of Makarov (Soviet or A German) can all be bought via a 77R (at the trooper barracks or your LGS) with the 7-day wait. State and LGS transfer fees apply of course.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    A C&R FFL costs thirty dollars, takes a month or so to obtain, and permits the holder to purchase C&R firearms with out the intrusive nastiness imposed by the state of Maryland - so long as you purchase from someone outside the state.

They can send it directly to your door. No MD paperwork, no HQL, just like in Real America.

You also get discounts from many out-of-state establishments, who will treat you to dealer prices for ammunition etc.

The only drawback is you have to limit yourself to C&R firearms, which are either >50 years old - from back in the day when many guns were hand-fitted and assembled by craftsmen - or are on the C&R list for other reasons. (You may gather that I don't feel that these older guns are less desirable. That is in fact the case.)

1Shifter

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks again everyone, lots of good information. I've had my C&R for about 2 years but mainly stick to various versions of the Mosin.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    Please excuse my "hijack" to ask a pistol question. Cant remember how to start new posts!
    Been looking for a Kimber commander size for a while. Saw one on arms list. replied to add and got a response from "perry kimbers" in bowie MD. also got a note from armslist that this may be a phishing ad. They are not an industry partner. Anyone heard of them?
    www.perrykimbershop.co.nf
    thanks
    pablopac

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Please excuse my "hijack" to ask a pistol question. Cant remember how to start new posts!
    Been looking for a Kimber commander size for a while. Saw one on arms list. replied to add and got a response from "perry kimbers" in bowie MD. also got a note from armslist that this may be a phishing ad. They are not an industry partner. Anyone heard of them?
    www.perrykimbershop.co.nf
    thanks
    pablopac

I've never heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything. However I looked at their website and it does seem very odd to me. The picture of the store, with the sign, looks phony and if you read through some of the info something doesn't feel quite right.
    Hey they are in Bowie, drive by and pay them a visit.
    If they are legit they should probably have someone redo the website!

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    I live in carroll county, so it is a bit of a haul. I figured perhaps someone from the area may be familiar. Seems odd to have never heard of them. Been in MD all my life and shooting since I was about 6. I may wait to get one anyway. Moving to Tennessee this summer. It is a bit easier there.
    Thanks for the thought!
    pablopac

Jul 1, 2012
    Well if it's real it's real stealthy as no hits on Google-y.

Also that website ends in .co.nf which is overseas I believe
    (Not sure which country is "NF" - "newfoundland?").
    I'm not going to open the website though :)

ok, it's not a typical country domain:

.CO.NF domain : Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is .NF domain? What does it mean?
    A: Dot NF is a ccTLD (country code top level domain) of Norfolk Island, .NF ccTLD is assigned by ICANN and can be used and accessed worldwide, and DotNF is currently operated by Cocca.org.nz reliable registry system.

Q: What is CO.NF domain?
    A: CO.NF domain name zone is administered and operated by Biz.nf Hosting to provide a free domain name registration service to those Internet users who can not afford to buy a domain name.

Q: Why to register a .CO.NF domain?
    A: Well, .CO.NF extension and thus a registered domain (e.g. domain.co.nf) looks like a real paid domain name, e.g. the domain of United Kingdom (.co.uk), Austria (.co.at), India (.co.in), etc.
    However, .CO.NF domain registration is totally FREE, and one can register up to 50 free .CO.NF domains.

"Why to register" - Please to be telling to me :)

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I hope everyone is getting thru this snow storm okay. A buddy of mine is interested in getting a C&R to purchase a handgun. Does he need to have the handgun license to purchase or will the 03 suffice? I'm sure that this has probably be asked many times before but this storm is messing with my internet connection (I use a satellite provider).

Purchase of any C&R handgun is exempt from the HQL requirement. You do not need an 03 FFL to exercise this exemption.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Nope. While you will need to do the 77R and wait the requisite 7 days, a Maryland resident can purchase a C&R handgun without an HQL regardless of whether they have a C&R license or not. The HQL exemption is directed towards the firearm, not the purchaser.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    A C&R FFL costs thirty dollars, takes a month or so to obtain, and permits the holder to purchase C&R firearms with out the intrusive nastiness imposed by the state of Maryland - so long as you purchase from someone outside the state.

They can send it directly to your door. No MD paperwork, no HQL, just like in Real America.

You also get discounts from many out-of-state establishments, who will treat you to dealer prices for ammunition etc.

The only drawback is you have to limit yourself to C&R firearms, which are either >50 years old - from back in the day when many guns were hand-fitted and assembled by craftsmen - or are on the C&R list for other reasons. (You may gather that I don't feel that these older guns are less desirable. That is in fact the case.)

One other drawback is the requirement to keep books on your firearms. You do not need to log C&R firearms into your books that were owned previous to your acquisition of an 03 FFL, but you must log any firearms you acquire after receiving your 03 FFL AND you must log in and out any firearm you sell that is a C&R when it is sold after receiving your 03 FFL

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Since people are repeating things in the above post link or saying things that are incorrect because they did not read the above post, I'll copy it below.
    Again, this information has been vetted by many members of this forum for correctness

This has been reviewed by the forum members several times in other posts so I'm putting it here:

For Handguns:

Handgun must be on the MD handgun roster (or be older than 1985)
    Unless specifically banned by MD or Federal laws (automatic pistol), a C&R handgun typically passes the 1985 date rule and does not need to be on the handgun roster.

Buying a C&R handgun from outside MD seller by a C&R holder in MD (buyer has C&R).
    Buyer is a C&R holder and also an FFL03 (which is which is what C&R holder is). They can receive shipments of C&R items which are not deemed to be illegal within the state. Seller must be willing to deal with C&R holders in MD (some don't). Seller ships C&R item to C&R holder. No MSP form needed as transfer is not done within the state. C&R holder logs item in his/her log book. You need Seller's C&R or FFL number or name/address per log book requirements. No Waiting period. YOU are the FFL doing an interstate transfer per BATFE rules and as long as you follow the rules, you are fully compliant here. If you are out of state, you may do the transfer there in their shop or at a show. You should have your Drivers license and an unsigned copy of your C&R and sign it there. Some Shops, dealers, FFLs etc may not accept this method due to policy or ignorance of the law, That is their discretion. you can not force them to accept your FFL03. FFL03 was CREATED for this purpose. Interstate purchasing of C&R items. It was created before the internet where people went out of state to purchase C&R items at shows and estate sales. You are operating within the law when doing this.

Buying a new handgun (or any used NON C&R) in MD from FFL
    Buyer needs an HQL and show it to FFL to start the transfer.(FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a new (or any used NON C&R) handgun from outside of MD
    Buyer must have it shipped to an FFL and buyer must to show that FFL your HQL to start the tranfer process. FFL will charge you a fee to do this. Set it up with them prior to sale/shipping. Handgun stays with FFL during waiting period. (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a new (or any used NON C&R) handgun from anyone individual (not FFL)
    Seller needs to bring it to an FFL to do the transfer or an MSP barracks at which time the buyer must show his HQL. Transfer can happen after 7 days if FFL agrees to it (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)(If using MSP barracs, seller decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a C&R handgun from an FFL within MD,
    Buyer need not have a C&R and there is a check box on the MSP form for C&R, Buyer need not have HQL. Buyer holding a C&R in this case has no bearing on the transfer. (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a C&R handgun from an individual within MD,
    Buyer need not have C&R, Buyer and seller go to either an FFL or MSP barracks to do the transfer. There is a check box on the MSP form for C&R, Buyer need not have HQL. MSP is $10 FFL will charge you a fee to do this. Set it up with seller prior to sale. (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)(If using MSP barracs, seller decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a C&R handgun from outside MD by a non-C&R holder.
    Buyer must have it shipped to MD FFL, there is a check box on the MSP form for C&R, Buyer need not have HQL. Buyer Need not have a C&R. FFL will charge you a fee to do this. Set it up with them prior to sale/shipping. (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)

NOTE: If you need to go through an FFL to purchase or xfer a C&R, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW THE LAW!!!!
    Confirm the procedure as stated here with them and verify they know the law BEFORE you do any sort of transfer.
    Don't just list their FFL on a purchases without calling and talking to them. If you need to find a C&R knowledgeable FFL, just ask here in a post with your location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom