• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Also still have to adhere to 10 round mag limit

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 7.0 II using Tapatalk

If the firearm is purchased within Maryland, OR purchased outside the state and sent to you, the 10 round limit must be adhered to. If you are outside the state, you can purchase a C&R with a > 10 round magazine. This is not different from a couple people I know who purchased a firearm out of state from an 01 FFL, took the > 10 round mags and had the 01 FFL send it to an in state FFL

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    Nope. While you will need to do the 77R and wait the requisite 7 days, a Maryland resident can purchase a C&R handgun without an HQL regardless of whether they have a C&R license or not. The HQL exemption is directed towards the firearm, not the purchaser.
    I meant for mail order to your door

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    To extend the above comment, you also don't need a C&R for purchase of C&R handguns in state. A CZ-82, P64, and the right flavor of Makarov (Soviet or A German) can all be bought via a 77R (at the trooper barracks or your LGS) with the 7-day wait. State and LGS transfer fees apply of course.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

At Scott's Gunsmithing we have sold P64s and P38's to some who do NOT have an 03 FFL nor an HQL but wanted a handgun. These have been selling and getting 'NOT DISAPPROVED'

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I meant for mail order to your door

Just trying to make sure it's clear to those who may want to take advantage. Heck you can by a C&R FN High Power with a MD compliant 10 round mag....no HQL required (sold one of those a while back as well)
    Just need to ensure it is a C&R as some aren't.

mroe21877

Nov 5, 2014
    The fact there are three pages in response to a simple honest question indicate well thought and planned laws..... Hahahahah

Jul 1, 2012
    The fact there are three pages in response to a simple honest question indicate well thought and planned laws..... Hahahahah

more like some misinformation that needs to continually be corrected...

it's only 1.5 pages for me... oh wait, you're on one of those new-fangled hi-falutin' comms devices so it's probably 5 posts per page... :) anyway ...

Melnic's post is a compendium of all you really need to know,

while SxS is patiently trying to address each individual post with the correct answers and expanding on them.

C&R got a big bennie by the exemption from the HQL so in that sense it was well thought out, thankfully.

It's actually pretty simple in the end; you just have to separate FFL-03 rules from the in-state HQL C&R rules and once that's done it's straight-forward.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

The laws are thought out, planned, and intended to be as vague, complicated, and burdensome as possible for would-be purchasers, so as to instill fear of inadvertent criminal behavior and dampen the demand for firearms, "hopefully" to eradicate them in a generation or so.

And rather than becoming less so, they tend to become more so.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Just trying to make sure it's clear to those who may want to take advantage. Heck you can by a C&R FN High Power with a MD compliant 10 round mag....no HQL required (sold one of those a while back as well)
    Just need to ensure it is a C&R as some aren't.

If it has an internal extractor it is C&R. They switched to external in 63, so the earliest ones with external extractors are also C&R. All Inglis High Powers are C&R.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    At Scott's Gunsmithing we have sold P64s and P38's to some who do NOT have an 03 FFL nor an HQL but wanted a handgun. These have been selling and getting 'NOT DISAPPROVED'
    Have Scott finish the minor fix on my CZ-82, and you might have another to put in your display. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    One other drawback is the requirement to keep books on your firearms. You do not need to log C&R firearms into your books that were owned previous to your acquisition of an 03 FFL, but you must log any firearms you acquire after receiving your 03 FFL AND you must log in and out any firearm you sell that is a C&R when it is sold after receiving your 03 FFL

Just a small correction: You don't need to log in non-C&R (i.e., modern) guns that you purchase after you get your C&R license. You must log-in any C&R guns that you acquire, even if you don't use your license to buy them.

rauler

May 2, 2012
    If the firearm is purchased within Maryland, OR purchased outside the state and sent to you, the 10 round limit must be adhered to. If you are outside the state, you can purchase a C&R with a > 10 round magazine. This is not different from a couple people I know who purchased a firearm out of state from an 01 FFL, took the > 10 round mags and had the 01 FFL send it to an in state FFL
    I wish more FFL's were as knowledgeable as the ones you refer to in your comment, some shops around NoVa won't even sell you a magazine if you are from Md. All it takes is some reading, research, and they would expand their customer base, especially for a neighbor state. As eveybody says, it's their business.

Sent from Dorne via raven

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Just a small correction: You don't need to log in non-C&R (i.e., modern) guns that you purchase after you get your C&R license. You must log-in any C&R guns that you acquire, even if you don't use your license to buy them.

So, if I have an 03 and buy a 49 year old rifle FTF, I better get a Bill of Sale

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So, if I have an 03 and buy a 49 year old rifle FTF, I better get a Bill of Sale

You need more than a mere bill of sale...you need a name and FFL nbr or name, address and Driver License number. Of course, with proper info on the BOS, you would have what you need.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I wish more FFL's were as knowledgeable as the ones you refer to in your comment, some shops around NoVa won't even sell you a magazine if you are from Md. All it takes is some reading, research, and they would expand their customer base, especially for a neighbor state. As eveybody says, it's their business.

Sent from Dorne via raven

Unfortunately, some people are just azzes in general while others are just afraid of running afoul of a law they know nothing about. What passes me are not the latter, but those who just tell you to go change our damn law. 1. I didn't vote for anyone in favor of our laws and 2. Some of those Virginia boys better watch...if Dems from North Va. Can elect Terry McAuliffe, their situation ain't that far removed from our own here in MD. But azzes are azzes. FYI, I don't know them first hand, but there are a couple of IP S who are reportedly pretty friendly to us Marylanders

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You need more than a mere bill of sale...you need a name and FFL nbr or name, address and Driver License number. Of course, with proper info on the BOS, you would have what you need.

So, you would need EVERYTHING to make an Log Entry ... even on guns that are not yet 03 qualified. Never heard that previously.

And it would make reapplying instead of renewing completely worthless. You'd have to keep the same records, just not in a Log Book

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You are REALLY overthinking this.

The likelihood of any audit is extremely remote, unless you buy and sell a lot of guns AND tell the ATF that you do so.

Audits are scheduled for a time and place of YOUR choosing. Most audits seem to focus on stupid bureaucratic nonsense such as the exact format of your bound book, or whether or not you received all your information packets from the ATF.

No one is going to search your house. No one is going to audit your collection itself, looking for a 51 year old rifle you've owned for ten years.

If you do end up selling that 51 year old rifle, you do NOT need detailed information on where you got it ten years ago. You just write "From Private Collection" in your bound book.

You are making WAY too much of this.
    It is EXTREMELY unlikely you would ever be audited at all.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Bill of sale is always a good thing. but unless it is specifically on the C&R list, 49 is not C&R and you don't need to log it in.
    and no you don't need to show where you purchased it if it was not C&R before you sold it or purchased before you got your C&R. There is no requirement to fill in purchased information when selling C&R. Only to log purchased information if you purchased it and it was C&R.
    I have yet to have someone deny the required information for a C&R log book (to date) when purchasing a Long gun FTF in MD. I've done it call on MDS so the class of folk may be higher than most places :)
    IANAL :)

peacemaker

Sep 1, 2016
    Eastern Shore Of Maryland
    C&R Lic.

I overheard a FFL today, say that Md. just passed a law that any handgun, antique or not, as long as it uses a cartridge cannot be sold unless the buyer and seller takes it to a regular FFL and is treated as a handgun even if you got it thru the mail as a C&R or Antique. Just my $.02

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I overheard a FFL today, say that Md. just passed a law that any handgun, antique or not, as long as it uses a cartridge cannot be sold unless the buyer and seller takes it to a regular FFL and is treated as a handgun even if you got it thru the mail as a C&R or Antique. Just my $.02
    Who said that? Call them out please.

That person at the FFL or you misunderstood something.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Who said that? Call them out please.

That person at the FFL or you misunderstood something.

Correct, MD gun law is not that simple ... and there has been no change in anything in that part of MD gun law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom