• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nats Fan

Feb 19, 2009
    I just purchased a used p229. I was looking over the handgun and noticed the hammer does not rest all the way down but seems to rest in a " half way position" when decocked. It seems to rest in a slot.

Is this normal for the Sig as a safety device?

Thanks for your help or advise.......

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Can we get a pic from your camera phone? That would help. One man's "half way" position is another man's 10% position.

On my P229, the hammer does not rest flush with the back of the slide. But I definitely wouldn't say it's half way down.

Def need sum pix.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Yes, when decocked the hammer should stop prior to getting close to the firing pin. This is it's natural resting point, when you pull the trigger inertia carries it past it's resting point to hit the firing pin, then it springs back to it's resting point (or gets recocked by the slide moving). Totally normal. With the gun UNLOADED, use the decocker and try to push the hammer forward, you shouldn't be able to. Then try pulling the trigger and with the trigger held back ride the hammer down, note that you can push it past the point it wants to settle at when the trigger is pulled.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Yes, when decocked the hammer should stop prior to getting close to the firing pin. This is it's natural resting point, when you pull the trigger inertia carries it past it's resting point to hit the firing pin, then it springs back to it's resting point (or gets recocked by the slide moving). Totally normal. With the gun UNLOADED, use the decocker and try to push the hammer forward, you shouldn't be able to. Then try pulling the trigger and with the trigger held back ride the hammer down, note that you can push it past the point it wants to settle at when the trigger is pulled.

what he said.. :thumbsup:

Nats Fan

Feb 19, 2009
    De-cocker P229

Thanks for the information. You know it seems the space between the hammer and the slide as described would be a collection point for dust, dirt, etc.?

Just a thought, but relieved to know it is all OK

Thanks again

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Yes, it is normal as others said.

SIG engineered a "safety intercept notch" (really a metal wedge) to physically block a decocked hammer from hitting the firing pin. When you pull the trigger, the trigger bar pushes the notch out of the way so the hammer can spring all the way forward and hit the firing pin.

The safety intercept notch gets set back in that spot whenever the decocker is used (if I am visualizing it right). That is why SIG says to ONLY use the decocker and not to "thumb" down the hammer while pulling the trigger as a means of returning to double-action mode.

The key to keeping dust out of there is to practice dry fire at home, or shoot at the range :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yes, it is normal as others said.

SIG engineered a "safety intercept notch" (really a metal wedge) to physically block a decocked hammer from hitting the firing pin. When you pull the trigger, the trigger bar pushes the notch out of the way so the hammer can spring all the way forward and hit the firing pin.

The safety intercept notch gets set back in that spot whenever the decocker is used (if I am visualizing it right). That is why SIG says to ONLY use the decocker and not to "thumb" down the hammer while pulling the trigger as a means of returning to double-action mode.
    Yep, the position the OP is describing is where my P226R DAK hammer naturally rests. Always wondered why it was like that, and now I know! :)

Nats Fan

Feb 19, 2009
    Took the P229 to the range today and all is good plus I hit the target a few times. I took a look at the P226 I own and YUP same "notch" just never realized the space. Now I get it.

Many thanks to all who chimed in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom