• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Only finished P.1 , but I already have my theory :

This wasn't an actual screw up ., but a delibert stunt to gain internet fame .

Hand chamber a round to the vicinity of the chamber . Without loosing the round , and slowly raise thw muzzle straight up

Gravity should hold ctg within firing pin reach , and provide enough resistance to at l east sometimes set off the primer
    The unsupported csse then seperates , leaving the base behind expanded into the bolt carrier as seen in the pic .

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Only finished P.1 , but I already have my theory :

This wasn't an actual screw up ., but a delibert stunt to gain internet fame .

Hand chamber a round to the vicinity of the chamber . Without loosing the round , and slowly raise thw muzzle straight up

Gravity should hold ctg within firing pin reach , and provide enough resistance to at l east sometimes set off the primer
    The unsupported csse then seperates , leaving the base behind expanded into the bolt carrier as seen in the pic .
    The bolded above is the exactly my point.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    While I haven't seen the rest of the gun or actually tried this trick live (in some other suckers gun of course) let me toss this into the MDS piranha tank:

Cam pin is in, this keeps the firing pin relatively centered. The firing pin retainer is clearly in or the pin would have fallen out the back of the carrier.

I just stripped a carrier and tried picking up a round (carrier only, no firing pin, it's MY gun!). The round ended up out of the mag, in the chamber, when I retracted the bolt carrier. If I let it go back in, let the bolt forward, and muzzle up the gun, loaded round ends up in the carrier center bore on retraction.

Since you guys have me thinking, View attachment 411980
    Here's the bolt carrier as assembled by this idiot cam pin in the forward position.

View attachment 411981
    Here's the carrier installed in the rifle the way the idiot did it.

View attachment 411983
    Just for you guys, I took a piece of cleaned/annealed/sized/trimmed/chamfered/deburred PMC brass out of my stash. I took a spent primer, removed the anvil, drove the cup flat with a punch, pushed the anvil back in, and seated it in the case. I then colored the primer with a red sharpie. I placed the case in the chamber and let the bolt fly with the bolt release. You can see the firing pin impression on the primer and the transfer of red pigment on the firing pin tip.

You are all welcome. My beer got warm, my pizza needs to be nuked again and I risked my firing pin bending or breaking. But at least now we all know.

And somebody clean this gun. It's dirty.

Post pizza edit to add: if you look at the OP picture, you will see that there is unburnt powder all over the carrier. The case failed at relatively low pressure, based on this observation. I'd bet that the gun wasn't failed and that if he put it together correctly the next time it works.
    You don't have nearly enough red anodized parts on that AR for this to be an accurate representation of AR poors tomfoolery.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    You don't have nearly enough red anodized parts on that AR for this to be an accurate representation of AR poors tomfoolery.
    Sorry. I'm behind the times. I'll try to do better on my future projects.

I built that upper, starting with cutting down, threading, crowning the barrel and then upsizing the gas port a LONG time ago. It has a fixed front sight and no free float front end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom