• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    So the only way this could have happened is if the idiot had a chambered round removed his BCG and removed the bolt and put the Bolt Carrier back in on an already chambered round
    Nope. It will chamber. From the magazine. I did that test without the firing pin because of the live rounds I was using. The m16 is a push feed system. The extractor is not in control of the round until the bolt is fully in battery. This necessitates the feedway be as conducive as possible to smooth travel. If you doubt this, take any quality built (most factory gus don't count) m16 upper and hold the muzzle down with the reciprocating components removed. Drop a live round in the back. Bet it ends up in the chamber. Dump it back out. Repeat if you like. Now, strip your bolt and firing pin from your carrier. Install the carrier in the upper. Reassemble onto the lower. Insert a mag. Rip the charging handle and let it fly. It will chamber. If you REALLY want to, do it the way the guy in the OP pic did. In your rifle, not mine.

it's a rifle I spent a lot of time building. I don't want to do what this dipshit did with a live round. A cut down 20" FN barrel reduced to 16", I upsized the gas port and reinstalled the FSB to make a true dissipator. Some other things done in the upper like cleaning up the barrel extension for slicker feeding. On a postie lower, it's a Singer sewing machine. On a semi lower with a Jewell trigger, it's almost as fast.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Nope. It will chamber. From the magazine. I did that test without the firing pin because of the live rounds I was using. The m16 is a push feed system. The extractor is not in control of the round until the bolt is fully in battery. This necessitates the feedway be as conducive as possible to smooth travel. If you doubt this, take any quality built (most factory gus don't count) m16 upper and hold the muzzle down with the reciprocating components removed. Drop a live round in the back. Bet it ends up in the chamber. Dump it back out. Repeat if you like. Now, strip your bolt and firing pin from your carrier. Install the carrier in the upper. Reassemble onto the lower. Insert a mag. Rip the charging handle and let it fly. It will chamber. If you REALLY want to, do it the way the guy in the OP pic did. In your rifle, not mine.

it's a rifle I spent a lot of time building. I don't want to do what this dipshit did with a live round. A cut down 20" FN barrel reduced to 16", I upsized the gas port and reinstalled the FSB to make a true dissipator. Some other things done in the upper like cleaning up the barrel extension for slicker feeding. On a postie lower, it's a Singer sewing machine. On a semi lower with a Jewell trigger, it's almost as fast.
    Yes it will but the carrier is now doing the stripping but with no bolt, the firing pin now protrudes over the round that is being stripped by about 3/4". That is the jam up position, either the round gets restricted by the protruding firing pin or the firing pin will go out of alignment and either stop the carrier from going too far forward until the carrier is pulled rearward to clear the jamb. Either way this whole thing was an intentional "malfunction"

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yes it will but the carrier is now doing the stripping but with no bolt, the firing pin now protrudes over the round that is being stripped by about 3/4". That is the jam up position, either the round gets restricted by the protruding firing pin or the firing pin will go out of alignment and either stop the carrier from going too far forward until the carrier is pulled rearward to clear the jamb. Either way this whole thing was an intentional "malfunction"
    Can I borrow your upper? ;-)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Can I borrow your upper? ;-)
    I have no doubt it works when the firing pin is removed. The issue is with a firing pin in place it would interfere because the firing pin would be protruding over the bottom 1/3 length of the case since there is no bolt and pin would be riding the round so the most likely scenario is the carrier with pin would get jammed against the case as the case is pushed towards the chamber, the firing pin and cartridge need to occupy the same centerline in the bore with no bolt there is nothing providing the offset.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Ok, now what happens when you pull the bolt back and try again? Firing pin presses the round into the chamber and bang.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Ok, now what happens when you pull the bolt back and try again? Firing pin presses the round into the chamber and bang.
    Exactly. Which I said above, but you also run risk of double feeding since normal practice is pulling the BCG all the way rearward. So for this situation to most likely to happen a person has to want it to happen.

I have modified one of the drawings above ilusstrating how the firing pin would interfer with chambering with no bolt and the carrier being the chamb
    Modified.jpg
    ering device.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    This thread reminds me of the dude on gixxer.com that put NOS energy drink into the bike's fuel tank, looking for a horsepower gain. The thread launched like a freakin Sidewinder missile and hilarity ensued. Poor OP probably never got on the Internet again. lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I guess the poor schlub didn't notice he had about a 2.5' long spare part left over.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Exactly. Which I said above, but you also run risk of double feeding since normal practice is pulling the BCG all the way rearward. So for this situation to most likely to happen a person has to want it to happen.

I have modified one of the drawings above ilusstrating how the firing pin would interfer with chambering with no bolt and the carrier being the chamb View attachment 412049 ering device.

The only thing I could think of, is that the operator chambered the round and it’s possible the pin deflected as you described. If the operator then pulled back the charging handle and released the BCG again, this time the pin would have been roughly centered upon closing with the round mostly chambered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The only thing I could think of, is that the operator chambered the round and it’s possible the pin deflected as you described. If the operator then pulled back the charging handle and released the BCG again, this time the pin would have been roughly centered upon closing with the round mostly chambered.

My first thought was, he was having trouble chambering a round, so he manually dropped a round into the chamber, then dropped the bolt(carrier) and fired.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Those bolts are slippery and go flying all over the place, maybe he forgot what it was and didn't think it was necessary?
    What, you've never done an engine replacement and had 6 bolts, 3 nuts, 8 washers and other parts unknown left over at the end only to have the engine run perfectly? :D

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    What, you've never done an engine replacement and had 6 bolts, 3 nuts, 8 washers and other parts unknown left over at the end only to have the engine run perfectly? :D
    Knew a guy who got one running and had some piston rings left over. He had to do that job twice.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I give this a 3% chance of working. I want to see the missing shoulder with the BCG sized hole in it. I"m sure it was a 45 cal shroom size hole.
    Same chance as NOS drink increasing power in a gixxer

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Knew a guy who got one running and had some piston rings left over. He had to do that job twice.

Lol, we learn the hard way sometimes. In my teenage years when I didn’t know any better, I was too cheap to replace cam bearings after an engine repair. They “Looked Fine”. That lasted about 3 weeks.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Lol, we learn the hard way sometimes. In my teenage years when I didn’t know any better, I was too cheap to replace cam bearings after an engine repair. They “Looked Fine”. That lasted about 3 weeks.

Yeah. But this guy was working in a shop. Haha. Boy the boss was pissed.

I'm pretty specific in my work orders. There's a reason.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

yes you are correct. But again first mistake a BCG was installed without a bolt, 2nd mistake not investigating the jam, 3rd mistake ttying again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom