• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I can only imagine this was the mentality back in the 60's when the "aluminum" rifles came about. Back in the 90's I had one of the State Arms AR50 uppers. You would think that if any round would punish the lower, this would be the one. I shot over 100 rounds and I did not have any issues with the aluminum lower I used. As a matter of fact, I still own that lower and it now has a 16" pencil barrel on it. Talk about going to the extremes. I own a few poly lowers and will eventually build one into a complete rifle. I'll have no issues with this lower and it will shoot as well as anything else I own.

I promise...

It was the same way with carbon fiber when it first came out. Nobody wanted a "plastic" bike. Now, everybody wants a plastic bike and plastic components. Not only that, but carbon fiber is used by Ferrari in car frames. Guessing it is used by some of the other high end vehicle manufacturers too.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It was the same way with carbon fiber when it first came out. Nobody wanted a "plastic" bike. Now, everybody wants a plastic bike and plastic components. Not only that, but carbon fiber is used by Ferrari in car frames. Guessing it is used by some of the other high end vehicle manufacturers too.

Agreed. People inherently do not like change. Every read, "Who Moved My Cheese"?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a poly lower that cracked. At the rear take down pin.
    I think in my case it was because either the take down pins were drilled wrong or it was just a tight fit and I forced the pins in. Currently working on getting a replacement.
    Happened after about 40-60 rounds I think. Did not notice till I took it home and was cleaning.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have a poly lower that cracked. At the rear take down pin.
    I think in my case it was because either the take down pins were drilled wrong or it was just a tight fit and I forced the pins in. Currently working on getting a replacement.
    Happened after about 40-60 rounds I think. Did not notice till I took it home and was cleaning.

That sucks. Did the take down pin move easily or was it difficult to get in and out? Sorry for your issues. Hopefully, you will have the replacement and your troubles will be behind you.

Good Luck!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That sucks. Did the take down pin move easily or was it difficult to get in and out? Sorry for your issues. Hopefully, you will have the replacement and your troubles will be behind you.

Good Luck!
    It was very difficult to push rear pin in. That is what I think the issue was, the stress cracked it.

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Just ordered a second complete lower kit. Will build out then decide on upper configuration. OMG one addiction to another LOL. But Wife will keep me in check.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The pull of building another AR will always be there, crying out to be fulfilled.

Yeah, I am sitting here wondering just how many lowers a person needs. I think I have crossed the line from obsession to insanity, but what the hell. Whatever I get involved with, I am obsessive about it. I hate mowing the grass and other yard maintenance, but I obsess about doing a great job and having the best tools to get the job done.

Of course, I still sit here and ask myself, why more than one lower when ever single upper can be fired with a single lower? Maybe different stock configurations for long range setups versus an SBR. Carbine length buffer spring versus rifle length?

What do you think, a dozen lowers enough? Anybody ever post a poll on this one?

Maybe a couple steel, some aluminum, and some poly rolled into the group, so how about 15?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yeah, I am sitting here wondering just how many lowers a person needs. I think I have crossed the line from obsession to insanity, but what the hell. Whatever I get involved with, I am obsessive about it. I hate mowing the grass and other yard maintenance, but I obsess about doing a great job and having the best tools to get the job done.

Of course, I still sit here and ask myself, why more than one lower when ever single upper can be fired with a single lower? Maybe different stock configurations for long range setups versus an SBR. Carbine length buffer spring versus rifle length?

Maybe a couple steel, some aluminum, and some poly rolled into the group, so how about 15?

That would all depend on how many rifles you already have? With a dozen AR15 style rifles, I would say 10-12 lowers would be a good number.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Gear hound :innocent0

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gear hound :innocent0

I have issues. I have 2 pro level chainsaws. One a 50cc saw. The other a 90cc saw. Think I've talked myself into a pro level 70cc saw and a pro level 30cc saw. Have to have a backup for the backup, and the exact tool for the job. Don't want a 36" bar when cutting through a 24" trunk and the 18" bar on the 50cc saw will not do on a 24" trunk either. Plus, who wants to change out bars and chains? lol

I apply the same concept to guns, bikes, hunting gear, fishing gear, tools, etc. I have issues.

You should see the log splitter I am going to attempt to put together this spring. Might have to get into the firewood business once it is up and running. That is if I have any extra time on my hands.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

You can never have too many lowers to finish. So many possibilities and so many applications. I have purpose built all of my AR's, so I don't have half of a rifle laying around. All of my lowers have different stocks, different triggers, etc... It truly is Barbie for men.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You should see the log splitter I am going to attempt to put together this spring. Might have to get into the firewood business once it is up and running. That is if I have any extra time on my hands.

Unless it's one of these, you're wasting your time.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    In a zombie apocalypse or a total break down of government you need one lower for every upper you have. And it must not fail

UrgentFury

Lead Connoisseur
    Apr 5, 2015
    42.915758,-78.72248
    Interesting... I have 2 anodized lowers now and I think I screwed one up. I have read so many conflicting reports on the use of polymer lowers that it's near impossible to draw a concensus.

For $35 I'd be willing to give it a try though. JM is around $100 though, and at that price I would rather use 7075.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom