• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Welp, I hit that small gun show down in Dale City this weekend, and this followed me home. Eddystone M1917, 1334XXX, barrel dated 11-18. I had all but given up finding one for a decent price, but at $495 I am happy with this purchase. I won't get to take it out to the range for a few weeks, but in the meantime it gets to sit in my safe and look pretty, right where it belongs :D

Attachments

• 2013-08-05 18.51.38.jpg
      2013-08-05 18.51.38.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 364

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    They can be great shooters. Ours is quite accurate and I have competed with it in the C&R matches at AGC. The front sight was off and had to be pushed left to center the point of impact. The rear sight aperture is rather large so practice centering the front sight in the rear aperture.

My best ever group of 3 was 1" at 200 yards. I may have just gotten lucky. :innocent0

Here's the thread I started just after I got it and was helped a LOT by the folks on this forum:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=58339

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    They can be great shooters. Ours is quite accurate and I have competed with it in the C&R matches at AGC. The front sight was off and had to be pushed left to center the point of impact. The rear sight aperture is rather large so practice centering the front sight in the rear aperture.

My best ever group of 3 was 1" at 200 yards. I may have just gotten lucky. :innocent0

Here's the thread I started just after I got it and was helped a LOT by the folks on this forum:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=58339

VERY nice. Thanks for the link; how did you go about adjusting the front sight for windage? Did you buy a tool for it or just go with the wooden dowl and hammer method?

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I grew up near Eddystone back in PA. It's nice to see a bit of history being appreciated! For $495 I would say you did quite well!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    There's a reason why the British Pattern 14 was a favorite of British snipers even though the P14 was relegated to 2nd line duty during WWI. And why Remington still offered the sporterized US Model 1917 as the Model 30 well after the war was over. It's a great design. You're gonna love it at the range!

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    VERY nice. Thanks for the link; how did you go about adjusting the front sight for windage? Did you buy a tool for it or just go with the wooden dowl and hammer method?

I got a SKS sight alignment tool at Howard County Gun show for $10.00 and had a gunsmith mill off the end of the threaded bolt so it is small enough to push the sight blade. I then used Loctite to secure the blade in place.

Attachments

• IMG_2061S.jpg
      IMG_2061S.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 199
    Last edited:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Here's the real armorer's tool for pushing the front sight on a 1917:

Attachments

• EddystoneSightTool2S.jpg
      EddystoneSightTool2S.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 183

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Does the tool remain on the barrel to sight-in or remove it before shooting?

I used mine to push the sight and then removed it. I think recoil would have thrown it off anyway and possibly damaged the sight base and/or shroud.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Seem to remember seeing armorers kits for the Model 1917 out in the market some years ago along with some sighting kits from countries that used the Model 1917 and Pattern 14 rifles like Greece and Denmark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom