• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    what is the ettiquite of personal gun sale at gun show?
    Can I bring my own AR, find someone interested, and find a FFL to do transfer? or is there MSP on site?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I did, it's listed there, no bite. But figure people at gun shows are looking for guns. People on here already have guns. wrong audience

Experienced people here go to gun shows... new people come here to learn about guns they want to buy... it's basically the same audience and you'll reach far fewer people at a show.

Found your ad, you're asking $800 for a used gun I can get new for $750...

I get that you've added an optic, but it's used also and goes for ~$120 new.

Maybe separate them and ask for ~$700 for the gun and ~$90 for the Romeo 5? Those prices sound like more of a bargain but you end up with almost exactly what you're asking for.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    Experienced people here go to gun shows... new people come here to learn about guns they want to buy... it's basically the same audience and you'll reach far fewer people at a show.

Found your ad, you're asking $800 for a used gun I can get new for $750...

I get that you've added an optic, but it's used also and goes for ~$120 new.

Maybe separate them and ask for ~$700 for the gun and ~$90 for the Romeo 5? Those prices sound like more of a bargain but you end up with almost exactly what you're asking for.

I am thinking of that, I can sitll return the romeo5 for $120 on amazon. I will have to "part out" if I need to but still there are 0 interest on here.
    Also $750, with + shipping + Tax + transfer @ FFL goes for $850 with 2 weeks wait for shipping. so im offering a barely used gun for with a $130 optics for $800 + $40 FFL Transfer
    like I said most people here have guns already, joined the group to find out how to mod their gun.
    there are posts in the classified dating back last year and still haven't sold yet. so doesn't seem like a lot of people here are buying from classifieds.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    People buy tons in the classifieds here. It can depend on what it is and what you are asking.

Just a few quick google searches tell me you are probably a bit high on your price. That’s just my opinion.

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I am thinking of that, I can sitll return the romeo5 for $120 on amazon. I will have to "part out" if I need to but still there are 0 interest on here.
    Also $750, with + shipping + Tax + transfer @ FFL goes for $850 with 2 weeks wait for shipping. so im offering a barely used gun for with a $130 optics for $800 + $40 FFL Transfer
    like I said most people here have guns already, joined the group to find out how to mod their gun.
    there are posts in the classified dating back last year and still haven't sold yet. so doesn't seem like a lot of people here are buying from classifieds.
    Used is used. The market here will dictate the price. Ask too much and it will sit. Ask a decent price, and it should sell.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I guess you'd be surprized to learn that most of the people at gun shows already have guns too.
    Holy crap, it's not just us?
    People buy tons in the classifieds here. It can depend on what it is and what you are asking.
    I look at the classifieds here every day and buy something there about once a month, sometimes twice. I've also sold almost everything I've ever listed there.
    Used is used. The market here will dictate the price. Ask too much and it will sit. Ask a decent price, and it should sell.
    ^^ This ^^

Used IS used.

Everybody (me too) always thinks the gun they are selling is used a lot less less, in much better condition and worth more than the other guy's used gun, but they are BOTH just used guns. Just like a car...once you drive it off the lot, it's just a used car.

If you see something just sitting in the classified for a long time, chances are it is priced too high, although some specialty things, like bongos and collector grade S&Ws, naturally move slowly, if at all.

IMO, your price expectations are too high. 65-70% of new is probably average for most used stuff in this price range, sometimes a little more, but certainly not more than what is listed online for the same new item. I too think you'd do better to return the optic and sell the rifle itself at market price.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

In the context of this thread , and the thread starter's intent , yes .

Now hypothetically at gun show might have interesting opportunities if had a sign tio the effect of :

Trade for Compact Carry Pistol
    Or

Trade for Deer Hunting Rifle

Run into somebody with a Rem 700 or Win 94 who is jonesing for an AR , and you'll both walk away happy .

Same crowd ?

Yes , a substantial overlap. . But a bit more at either extreme .

Could get people who saw a gun once when they were 8 yo , but were driving by and saw the sign , and pulled in ( with or without family/ SO ) to kill an hour .

And the highly knowledged seeker or purveyor of highly collectible / esoteric will likely be relatively higher % at gun show , than average , general interest Gun Forum .

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’d say the average knowledge of gun pricing on this site exceeds that of customers at a gun show thus you may find a buyer. But you’re hoping for a real dumb dumb. If you had never shot it you’d still have to take a hit. Being shot definitely drops it 20-40% because there is nothing special about that rifle. I do wish you luck.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo

I would 100% send back the optic. IMO, the only time an optic is a positive selling point on a gun is when it's a high price speciality optic or basically a free throw-in.

My friend was looking for a Ruger AR15 recently (but not anymore) and we priced them at about $750 new at the last Chantilly Gun Show.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I’d say the average knowledge of gun pricing on this site exceeds that of customers at a gun show thus you may find a buyer. But you’re hoping for a real dumb dumb. If you had never shot it you’d still have to take a hit. Being shot definitely drops it 20-40% because there is nothing special about that rifle. I do wish you luck.
    That does seem to work for many of the sellers at shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom