• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Just picked up this one a few weeks ago. And I think I'm going to get rid of my gun cabinet and get another safe. I know, bad picture. It's a sentry 14 gun with combination.

Attachments

• gun safe.jpg
      gun safe.jpg
      2.4 KB · Views: 377

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    Years ago there was a red barn looking store in front of Lowe's that sold safes. I bought mine from him, and I think he's the same guy who sells safes in Waldorf, if so, he's a good guy. My safe installation was not easy (required a Bobcat), and while he gritted his teeth a few times during installation he did it. With the apparent market for safes in somd it's a shame there's not more vendors in the area.

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    I bought a 24 gun safe (not fire rated) from Buds delivered for $625. It was a Sentry and it retails at Walmart and other fine discount stores for anywhere between $700-$900 plus shipping. They seem to have some of the best prices and appear to be selling just about everything at cost plus a small markup. I guess they are doing a large volume business so they make up for it in sheer sales.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    There is a place in Waldorf (not the one already mentioned) that has a good reputation. Pay to have it delivered, regardless of who you buy it from, its worth it. :thumbsup:

It is on the left side as you go north on Rt 5 before the railroad tracks. There is a furniture store next to it. Can't remember the name tho. Something like County or Country Furniture is next to it. Between the Mc D's and Surplus stores (except they are on the opp:rolleyes:osite side of the road).

When I was looking for a safe, my wife and I stopped by Carolina Safe Co., and spoke with these nice folks.

Mr. and Mrs. Hanson (sp??) are really good people and have a LOT of different safes to choose from.

At the time, I knew absolutely NOTHING about safes, but, Mr. Hanson was very good at educating us on what was, and was not, a good product.

One tip: Buy 'more safe' than you need. If you only 'need' a 14 gun safe, buy a 28 gun safe.

Beware of 'big box store' gunsafes. The steel in them are USUALLY thinner and are easier to get into.
    Check the number of 'live' and 'dead' bolts. How many sides are these bolts??
    (Some big box store safes don't have live or dead bolts on the hinge side!)
    How thick is the door?? Not just 'total thickness'. How thick is the front 'plate' on the door???
    What kind of lock?? Dial or electronic???
    Are you concerned with "EMP"?? Will your electronic lock work after an "EMP Event"?? (Highly unlikely!)

Where are you going to put this safe??
    You MUST (in my not-so-humble opinion) secure the safe to the floor (at the very least) to prevent it from being moved, easily.
    (IF you can secure the safe to the wall behind the safe, as well as the floor, that's even better!)
    Try to place the "latch side" of the safe near a corner. Doing this will help prevent prying on this side.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for reading.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    When I was looking for a safe, my wife and I stopped by Carolina Safe Co., and spoke with these nice folks.

Mr. and Mrs. Hanson (sp??) are really good people and have a LOT of different safes to choose from.

At the time, I knew absolutely NOTHING about safes, but, Mr. Hanson was very good at educating us on what was, and was not, a good product.

One tip: Buy 'more safe' than you need. If you only 'need' a 14 gun safe, buy a 28 gun safe.

Beware of 'big box store' gunsafes. The steel in them are USUALLY thinner and are easier to get into.
    Check the number of 'live' and 'dead' bolts. How many sides are these bolts??
    (Some big box store safes don't have live or dead bolts on the hinge side!)
    How thick is the door?? Not just 'total thickness'. How thick is the front 'plate' on the door???
    What kind of lock?? Dial or electronic???
    Are you concerned with "EMP"?? Will your electronic lock work after an "EMP Event"?? (Highly unlikely!)

Where are you going to put this safe??
    You MUST (in my not-so-humble opinion) secure the safe to the floor (at the very least) to prevent it from being moved, easily.
    (IF you can secure the safe to the wall behind the safe, as well as the floor, that's even better!)
    Try to place the "latch side" of the safe near a corner. Doing this will help prevent prying on this side.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for reading.

Are you saying it's highly unlikely that I'll get an EMP "event" or unlikely that I'll be able to open it after? Honestly the only way an EMP happens is if someone drops a nuke on me and in that case I'm dead anyway.

Is it really necessary to secure it to the wall too if I lag bolt the safe to the foundation?

cyphertext69

Feb 13, 2012
    St. Mary's County
    I got this one for Christmas a few years back...http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/largeImage/index.jsp?ab=Product_PageElement_MainProductImage&LargeImageURL=http%3A//DSP.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p11391990dt.jpg

Best safe ever! Holds 48 guns and its relatively cheap :thumbsup:

I will say, it's a damn monster though. Initially, I installed it in my basement after picking it up from my local DSG store. Took 4 of us to muscle it into place.

After that, I said F-that, I got a back hoe and moved it into my garage from the basement. I will say, much easier :)

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Are you saying it's highly unlikely that I'll get an EMP "event" or unlikely that I'll be able to open it after? Honestly the only way an EMP happens is if someone drops a nuke on me and in that case I'm dead anyway.QUOTE]

Not necessarily.

From what I understand, if on is set off a couple miles up, it can effect about a 300+ mile radius. I'm no expert on them. And in fact, have lost of unanswered questions myself. But I can tell you that as soon as I get the time, I want to change mine over to a mechanical lock.

Jul 22, 2011
    If you need a quality safe, and need it delivered, Carolina Safe Company will take care of you. Mr. Hanson delivered my 900+ lb. Liberty safe up a flight of steps. He also comes highly recommended by Liberty. There are not many people nicer or more friendly than the Hansons, and not just in the sales world. I will be purchasing another safe from them soon myself.

byf43

Are you saying it's highly unlikely that I'll get an EMP "event" or unlikely that I'll be able to open it after? Honestly the only way an EMP happens is if someone drops a nuke on me and in that case I'm dead anyway.

Is it really necessary to secure it to the wall too if I lag bolt the safe to the foundation?

I'm saying that IF "We" get an "EMP Event" electronic locks CAN BE and most likely WILL BE affected.
    In an EMP event, electronics will get 'fried'. Then, IF you need to get into a safe, you'll not be able to.
    (Caps used for emphasis. Sorry!)

According to one video that I've seen, Fort Knox safes now have an option for BOTH types of locks.
    Use the electronic for 'everyday' use, and IF there's an EMP event, the mechanical lock will still work.

As for being necessary to secure a safe to a wall, as well as the floor/foundation -
    No, it's not 'necessary', but, for me, it's 'extra' security.

To me. . . if 4 bolts are good. . . . 6 are better and 8 are even better, yet!:thumbsup:

byf43

From what I understand, if one is set off a couple miles up, it can effect about a 300+ mile radius. I'm no expert on them. And in fact, have lost of unanswered questions myself. But I can tell you that as soon as I get the time, I want to change mine over to a mechanical lock.

I'm no expert, at all, but, I read a lot.

I saw a report that stated that IF an EMP event occurred in Arizona, electronics will be affected as far away as Illinois and Indiana!!

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I'm no expert, at all, but, I read a lot.

I saw a report that stated that IF an EMP event occurred in Arizona, electronics will be affected as far away as Illinois and Indiana!!

While also not an expert I'd like to see that report because I'm calling major BS on that.

byf43

While also not an expert I'd like to see that report because I'm calling major BS on that.

Saw that stuff on History Channel or Military Channel, a while back.

Now, this report did NOT say that the EMP at that distance will 'knock out' electronics, but, said that it CAN impair electronics.

Are you aware that (overhead) High Voltage cables can (and do) put out EMP???
    Overhead high voltage lines can interfere with radio communications (even FM radio!).
    How 'bout microwave ovens?? They put out EMP that CAN (and do) interfere with pacemakers.

Still. . . . I won't trust an electronic lock. It's a gamble that I'm not willing to take.

Just a quick search with Google:

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm

"The pulse can easily span continent-sized areas, and this radiation can affect systems on land, sea, and air. The first recorded EMP incident accompanied a high-altitude nuclear test over the South Pacific and resulted in power system failures as far away as Hawaii. A large device detonated at 400-500 km over Kansas would affect all of CONUS. The signal from such an event extends to the visual horizon as seen from the burst point."

Emphasis added in red boldface.
    "CONUS" = Continental United States

Here's another article:

http://www.futurescience.com/emp.html

"Although nuclear EMP was known since the earliest days of nuclear weapons testing, the magnitude of the effects of high-altitude nuclear EMP were not known until a 1962 test of a thermonuclear weapon in space called the Starfish Prime test. The Starfish Prime test knocked out some of the electrical and electronic components in Hawaii, which was 897 miles (1445 kilometers) away from the nuclear explosion. The damage was very limited compared to what it would be today because the electrical and electronic components of 1962 were much more resistant to the effects of EMP than the sensitive microelectronics of today. The magnitude of the effect of an EMP attack on the United States, or any similar advanced country, will remain unknown until one actually happens. Unless the device is very small or detonated at an insufficiently high altitude, it is likely that it would knock out the nearly the entire electrical power grid of the United States. It would destroy many other electrical and (especially) electronic devices. Larger microelectronic devices, and devices that are connected to antennas or to the power grid at the time of the pulse, would be especially vulnerable."

Again, emphasis added in red boldface.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    When I spoke to several safe dealers I got the clear impressoin that they all thought the manual dial type locks were more durable and reliable than the pushbutton electronic locks typically offered.

That alone made me decide to order both safes with manual dial locks.

The subject of EMP never came up in my discussions.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    There is a place in Waldorf (not the one already mentioned) that has a good reputation. Pay to have it delivered, regardless of who you buy it from, its worth it. :thumbsup:

I 2nd the unnamed safe store in waldorf, ( its across the street from Beacon surplus ) two snaps up for good service. :thumbsup::party29::party29:

If you want to move it yourself go to the new Dicks down there and buy one the next time they have a sale.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    I don't know much about safes, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.:)

I am also looking for a wall safe for handguns.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks polecat. I've never heard of that site but will post there, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom