• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    im looking around for a safe too.

i really really want a sturdy, the quality is leaps and bounds higher than everything else, if i ever go on vacation or something and leave the house for a while, i would feel so much more secure if i had a sturdy, working with steel myself often i know that i could get into an average 12 guage safe probably pretty fast if i wanted to.

but its a lot of money to spend.

i would have to spendbasically $3k with them to get a safe to fit all my stuff and and it wouldnt even have fireproofing, and it would already be full from day 1 so i'd already be looking out for another soon after.

meanwhile i could buy 2 steelwaters for the same price, and even though its not great fireproofing there would atleast be some.

i keep going back and forth, a safe is better than none, but a quality safe could mean real security whereas a cheaper one might just be giving me a false sense of security.

plus im trying to figure out where id put it. if i had the space the real solution would be for me to build a secure room, and buy a vault door from sturdy, then i could fit hundreds of guns,display them all nicely and maybe even have space to do my cleaning/building/reloading and restoration work in there, and have spent only around 2500 to do it too.

argh

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    has anyone heard from THompsons in Frederick lately? I called and left a VM roughly a week ago and no answer back. Couldn't find their location the other day - not sure if they've moved or are winding down the business....

I'm thinking of a Sturdy, but want someone else to put it where it's going in the house and bolt it to the slab. Figured a local company would be best - but only if there is a local company...

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    has anyone heard from THompsons in Frederick lately? I called and left a VM roughly a week ago and no answer back. Couldn't find their location the other day - not sure if they've moved or are winding down the business....

I'm thinking of a Sturdy, but want someone else to put it where it's going in the house and bolt it to the slab. Figured a local company would be best - but only if there is a local company...

Someone posted awhile back that Thompsons was going out of business but others have said it wasnt so who knows.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    DID - thanks. maybe they're getting rid of the retail sale piece and just doing service work. The phone number listed for them still works and took a message - could be they are just busy or on vacation. I'll give them another shot.

If they are no longer in business - does anyone know of another lock/safe smith in the Frederick area who sells safes or will move a sturdy safe once it is delivered? Thompsons is the only company I think of for this work in the Frederick area and bringing someone up from MontCo or out from Baltimore will add to cost...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you never leave the house, you don't need a safe.

You won't need to trim your fingernails either, however you'll need kleenex boxes to wear as shoes and some bottles to store your urine in.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    has anyone heard from THompsons in Frederick lately? I called and left a VM roughly a week ago and no answer back. Couldn't find their location the other day - not sure if they've moved or are winding down the business.

He was still in business about 2 months ago. He's a one man shop now.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    When you compare prices for delivery, be aware that most prices are "to the curb" or at most "to the end of the driveway". If you expect the delivery people to move the safe inside and up any steps you had better be clear about that from the git-go. Also, don't expect to slip the delivery guy a few bucks for the added move. He is probably just a truck driver and doesn't have the equipment. Also, whether it's a safe or anything else, if it's being shipped "freight" also be sure that it is being delivered by a truck with a lift gate (unless you have a loading dock or fork lift).

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    You building or buying?

If building you can maybe stick it in a false wall/closet etc.

I have my cabinet and safes in a false wall/closet.
    I like the false wall in the closet. Thinking about an addition to my house putting a walk-in closet off the master bedroom. I've been doing woodworking for about 15 years now, building furniture and I really like the gun hiding places you can build right into the furniture. Lots of designs for that stuff on the internet. Even designs for bookshelves that open out as a door to hiding places. Looking at doing this for the entry into my walkin closet with other false panels with the closet.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    When you compare prices for delivery, be aware that most prices are "to the curb" or at most "to the end of the driveway". If you expect the delivery people to move the safe inside and up any steps you had better be clear about that from the git-go. Also, don't expect to slip the delivery guy a few bucks for the added move. He is probably just a truck driver and doesn't have the equipment. Also, whether it's a safe or anything else, if it's being shipped "freight" also be sure that it is being delivered by a truck with a lift gate (unless you have a loading dock or fork lift).

Correct!

I have found that slipping him $10-$20, WILL get it at least in the garage - if you have one. At least that way, you can have it in a safe location until you can get the safe movers out to depallet it and put it in it's final location. Otherwise it either sits where the driver puts it until the movers get there, or you pay them by the hour to wait for the truck (which is NEVER on time!).

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

You need a 4 wheel appliance mover and some willing friends with strong backs.

You can rent the appliance movers for about $20 - $30/day so no need to buy.

If you're setting the safe on a concrete floor then you'll need a hammer drill to set your lags bolts.

http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/p/m...ssional-appliance-hand-truck-1200-lb-capacity

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    You need a 4 wheel appliance mover and some willing friends with strong backs.

You can rent the appliance movers for about $20 - $30/day so no need to buy.

If you're setting the safe on a concrete floor then you'll need a hammer drill to set your lags bolts.

http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/p/m...ssional-appliance-hand-truck-1200-lb-capacity

I'm not asking any of my friends to help me move a safe or I suspect they wouldn't be my friends for very much longer. I'll just pay to get it installed in the house.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I'm not asking any of my friends to help me move a safe or I suspect they wouldn't be my friends for very much longer. I'll just pay to get it installed in the house.

BEER, BBQ OR BULLETS

Quench their thirst and feed them or take them to the range to play with your toys usually works to motivate people.

Think of it like an Amish barn raising. just be sure to be available when one of your friends gets a safe.

Just make sure that the safe will fit through all the doorways and that the flooring can support not just the safe but a fully loaded safe so no time is wasted or 2nd moves required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom