Greek (or any other) good restaurant in Wheaton/Silver Spring?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Alright,
    So we're going to the Butterfly Garden in Wheaton tomorrow. Any good (kid friendly) Greek restaurants in that area? Heck, anything as long as it's not asian would be great.

Thanks

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Alright,
    So we're going to the Butterfly Garden in Wheaton tomorrow. Any good (kid friendly) Greek restaurants in that area? Heck, anything as long as it's not asian would be great.

Thanks

In Wheaton
    Kid friendly--Try Desse for Ethopian, Irene's III for Salvadorian, Los Choros for Mexican/Salvadorian, Nicks (lunch only)

Not kid friendly but great Christiana's for Italian

Near Wheaton
    Ambrosia on Randolph @ Rockville Pike has the best Greek in the area

Down toward DTSS there is a bunch of stuff

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    In Wheaton
    Kid friendly--Try Desse for Ethopian, Irene's III for Salvadorian, Los Choros for Mexican/Salvadorian, Nicks (lunch only)

Not kid friendly but great Christiana's for Italian

Near Wheaton
    Ambrosia on Randolph @ Rockville Pike has the best Greek in the area

Down toward DTSS there is a bunch of stuff

+1

In DTSS there are several kid friendly places -- Lebanese Taverna, Great Eggspectations, Fuddruckers, Potbelly... lot of chains but some of the less lousy type. How old are the kids and what kind of food do they like?

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    +1 for Ambrosia. They now have two locations after the original location on Rockville Pike was recycled. One is near Atlantic Gun and across the street from Ranger Surplus on Hungerford Dr (same as RT355) and the other near Randolph & RT355(Rockville Pike)

I have been eating there since 1978.....it's the real deal.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    +1 for Ambrosia. They now have two locations after the original location on Rockville Pike was recycled. One is near Atlantic Gun and across the street from Ranger Surplus on Hungerford Dr (same as RT355) and the other near Randolph & RT355(Rockville Pike)

I have been eating there since 1978.....it's the real deal.

When the original Ambrosia was kicked out of the Halpine location by the new mall the owners split....one opened the Ambrosia Grille up on Hungerford, the other waited a bit and opened Ambrosia on Randolph.

As a side note one of the original founders opened The Greek Grille in Vienna which is just as good...

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Yeah..I thought something was different between the two locations.....the one on Randolph is the best of the two IMHO.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yeah..I thought something was different between the two locations.....the one on Randolph is the best of the two IMHO.

Of the two original owners, one was the cook and the other ran the place. The guy who cooks ( Pete) is in the Randolph location. Side note for a greek place they make a good crab cake.

Also down Rockville Pike as far as greek there is Mykonos Grill

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    +1

In DTSS there are several kid friendly places -- Lebanese Taverna, Great Eggspectations, Fuddruckers, Potbelly... lot of chains but some of the less lousy type. How old are the kids and what kind of food do they like?

There is a fountain there for the kids to play in as well. There is always a BIG kids scene going on. I think all the corporate crap there sucks, but I typically go mom and pop if I can. Lebanese Taverna is great as is Moby Dick's. Just down Georgia about 2 blocks is the Big Greek Cafe. Very casual - order at the counter. Great food. Great value. They usually have a daily special of lamb chops or the equivalent for right around $10. And they are good. Owner is super friendly and kicks down free stuff to regulars.

If you are in to Vietnamese, the Lotus Cafe, right before the metro tracks going south on Georgia is awesome and has a great outdoor patio.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Of the two original owners, one was the cook and the other ran the place. The guy who cooks ( Pete) is in the Randolph location. Side note for a greek place they make a good crab cake.

Also down Rockville Pike as far as greek there is Mykonos Grill

Mykonos Grill is really good, near Congressional Plaza. My family dines there a couple times a year and it's always excellent.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    +1 for Mykonos. It might be kind of pricey depending on your budget, but it's very good.

And why would you say not Asian? The Asian restaurants (particularly the Thai ones) are the best restaurants in Wheaton. Go eat at Ruan Thai, and I dare you not to like it.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    As soon as Barnaby's closed the dining scene in Wheaton pretty much curled over and died. The only place I ever go to in Wheaton is The Royal Mile Pub and on occasion the VFW. There are decent places in DTSS but the yuppies mixed with the ghetto wanna be thugs usually manages to keep me away. The only greek place in the area that I would recommend is Ambrosia, as others have already mentioned. I usually go to Greek Island Grill in Cloverley. The food is OK but not really worth a recommendation.

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    No way! I work as a server at Cava Capitol Hill, and I was working last night. Small world.

We were a 6 top on the left side of the restaurant, right as you walk in. We were there for about 3 hours. I was the big bearded dude.

dswanmd

Feb 23, 2010
    Haha, thats too funny, I had the front of the restaurant (outside) and the high top tables next to the bar which was unbelievably slow because of the heat and mugginess outside. Sam, the blonde chick waited on your table then. I literally probably bumped into your chair or filled your water at some point. Small world. Well I'm glad you seemed to enjoy everything. :thumbsup:

dswanmd

Feb 23, 2010
    angler said:
    We had a great time. Those $6 Calvados Sidecars were awesome......

Yeah martini night is always good. The calvados sidecar is the best martini on the menu IMHO.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    There was a writeup of a new Greek place in Silver Spring on Georgia Ave. Haven't been there yet; it's right near the Radio Shack, 82xx GA Ave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom