• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    We MSI members have heard nothing regarding this. It appears that Lou received a phone call from someone @ MFLDA but that is all we can confirm. There has been no word on the lawsuit (to my knowledge) at this point.

This ^^^

We have pretty much what we want from MSP regarding the backlog problem;

~no more harassing dealers to NOT release regulated guns without their lengthly background checks (though I haven't experienced this during this backlog),

~dealers can release on a timely basis without completed MSP background checks or the NICS number (provided by MSP with those completed MSP background checks),

~it will be MSP's responsibility to recover a firearm(s) from an individual if that individual turns out to be prohibited once the background check is completed,

~liability will be placed with MSP.

It's late now and I'm tired so this is all I can think of at this moment though there are a few other items that I'm missing. A dealer needs to be "on top of it" so to speak, and use discretion as to whom they release to. Personally, I don't want any guns going out to prohibited persons, so I try to keep my "senses" on alert for those that are prohibited and want to try to play the system, and yes, I do have a few applicants that WILL WAIT for the "NOT DISAPPROVED" blessing from MSP.

For clarification, this suit is NOT the suit against SB281, it is just regarding this backlog. It is not yet completed but the battle is just about over. We should know more in the not too distant future as this wraps up with the dotting of the i's and crossing of the T's.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks for all you do, Lou! I'll be heading your way once I get my DC in the mail and can make some more purchases. May also have a little sumthin'-sumthin' for MLFDA. :party29:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Seems like someone has been drinking alot of the Lou45 kool-aid :innocent0

not here at the moment, pffft.... I heard Target has a sale on My little Pony items, guess he is there now...

Not on the forum at the moment??? Well at the time of your above two quoted posts (just after 11 AM), I was on the phone with a VP of the MLFDA for twenty minutes further discussing this matter and to see if any updates were available at that time. I like you as a friend and perhaps you just happened to engage tongue before engaging brain on this one.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    So this should have went out to all ffl's in md? This is from msp, to the mdfla, then to the dealers? Sorry just trying to understand. This is the lawsuit mentioned that patrick said nothing has happened yet? Im just confused

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    This ^^^

~no more harassing dealers to NOT release regulated guns without their lengthly background checks (though I haven't experienced this during this backlog),

~dealers can release on a timely basis without completed MSP background checks or the NICS number (provided by MSP with those completed MSP background checks),

~it will be MSP's responsibility to recover a firearm(s) from an individual if that individual turns out to be prohibited once the background check is completed,

It's late now and I'm tired so this is all I can think of at this moment though there are a few other items that I'm missing. A dealer needs to be "on top of it" so to speak, and use discretion as to whom they release to. Personally, I don't want any guns going out to prohibited persons, so I try to keep my "senses" on alert for those that are prohibited and want to try to play the system, and yes, I do have a few applicants that WILL WAIT for the "NOT DISAPPROVED" blessing from MSP.

For clarification, this suit is NOT the suit against SB281, it is just regarding this backlog. It is not yet completed but the battle is just about over. We should know more in the not too distant future as this wraps up with the dotting of the i's and crossing of the T's.

Thank you for this update and the work you've been doing Lou! I assume at some point the MLFDA will come out with a formal statement that should create a level field of understanding among the FFLs. Again, thanks for your work, I look forward to visiting your shop in the future!

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    So this should have went out to all ffl's in md? This is from msp, to the mdfla, then to the dealers? Sorry just trying to understand. This is the lawsuit mentioned that patrick said nothing has happened yet? Im just confused

It's probably like a settlement outside of court. Had there been no lawsuit, this wouldn't have happened, but the MSP has decided to accept what everyone wants, and they're probably going to send some guidance to FFLs (or MLFDA will send it out) on how to handle timely releases. Nothing happened in court, which is why MSI doesn't know about it.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    It's probably like a settlement outside of court. Had there been no lawsuit, this wouldn't have happened, but the MSP has decided to accept what everyone wants, and they're probably going to send some guidance to FFLs (or MLFDA will send it out) on how to handle timely releases. Nothing happened in court, which is why MSI doesn't know about it.

Ahhhhhh now i see. Well i hope the Cop Shop follows this. I really dont have time to wait 90 days total.

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    This ^^^

U

So what discretion do you use to determine who you should release to before msp get back to you? The way they dress? How they talk? Ccw holder or not? Where they live? Or is that private info?

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    So what discretion do you use to determine who you should release to before msp get back to you? The way they dress? How they talk? Ccw holder or not? Where they live? Or is that private info?

Pants waistline height...........

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

MSI will release a statement when the details are solidified. There is a big difference between waiting until we have all the i's dotted and t's crossed before saying something and not knowing anything. ;-)

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Basically there is one more major thing we want from MSP, that is a mailing to all licensed regulated firearms dealers in MD from MSP explaining the problem and what thre dealers can legally do, such as timely releases without completed background checks, no NICS, liability factor with MSP, etc., etc..

Alot has happened with this, primarily waiting for the closing arguments (so to speak) and the dotting of the i's and crossing of the T's. I know there are a number of MD dealers that are overwhelmed with the backlog of sold regulated guns and related paperwork, and in some instances, don't have the room to safely keep the stuff and I'm (wasn't) no exception. This is one of the many reasons after careful research and consideration, I began to release without completed background checks a few weeks ago. MSP is aware of this problem and by and large, trying to cooperate with us as they know this whole jargin is one GREAT BIG CUSTERFLUCK for everybody involved.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Lou has told me gang tats are kind of a heads up. Thank god the majority of criminals are legally retarded as far as disguises.

JADCecil

May 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Just In From MSP?

IP Bollingers just posted this:
    _____
    Dealers received this today from MSP:
    "We have received requests for information from dealers regarding the release of Regulated firearms on the 8th day. These are applications in which guns are released prior to receiving a NICS number. Dealers releasing regulated firearms on the 8th day, that are on the fax program, will submit the MSP Copy of the Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm with a notice attached to each application with the following statement, “Eighth day release of a regulated firearm.” It is imperative that the written notice of an “Eighth day release” be attached, not written on the actual application to ensure that we process them correctly. "

What does this mean? If you have had a firearm here for transfer longer than 7 days, come and get 'em!
    ______

EDIT: link here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2464876#post2464876

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013

Not private info, he posted it his IP page here. Other FFLs have done similar postings such as A1 here

But to reiterate, the law says an FFL "may" release on the 8th day, not "shall release" so the final decision is still Lou's in this case. Liability issues aside, would you want it on your conscious that a gun released "on time" from your shop was then used by a mentally unstable person or a person with a big axe to grind? Its like hitting a kid who ran out in the street no where near a cross-walk. You are completely in the right by driving through doing the speed limit and waiting for police after the fact, but you still took a life.

Of course then there are FFLs who seem wholly ignorant of the law as seen here. This is why we need official word from MSP to all FFLs in MD to green light them on releasing on the 8th day. Some just can't read the law regarding the business they are in.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    IP Bollingers just posted this:
    _____
    Dealers received this today from MSP:
    "We have received requests for information from dealers regarding the release of Regulated firearms on the 8th day. These are applications in which guns are released prior to receiving a NICS number. Dealers releasing regulated firearms on the 8th day, that are on the fax program, will submit the MSP Copy of the Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm with a notice attached to each application with the following statement, “Eighth day release of a regulated firearm.” It is imperative that the written notice of an “Eighth day release” be attached, not written on the actual application to ensure that we process them correctly. "

What does this mean? If you have had a firearm here for transfer longer than 7 days, come and get 'em!
    ______

EDIT: link here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2464876#post2464876

That makes it sound like they have to attach the 8th day release warning prior to sending the initial fax application. If so, I take it to mean they are going to partition the queues so if your FFL will release in due course, they get to it when they get to it and if there is 8th day warning attach, they review it post haste?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Not on the forum at the moment??? Well at the time of your above two quoted posts (just after 11 AM), I was on the phone with a VP of the MLFDA for twenty minutes further discussing this matter and to see if any updates were available at that time. I like you as a friend and perhaps you just happened to engage tongue before engaging brain on this one.

just pulling your chain Lou. :thumbsup:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    just pulling your chain Lou. :thumbsup:

I think it may have been a little misdirected. The other person was saying they wanted a "credible" source.

We were simply noting his propensity for MLP. :D

As usual, Lou was on the cutting edge of things. Looks like MSP has notified FFL's on procedures for 8th day release this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom