Gray Bill ("Police Officer Recruitment and Retention Act of 2023") Increases Number of MPD Officers

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    20k is for MOCO, the DC bribe is 1yr salary to stay on for 5.

:outta her

Speaking for myself, if I had confidence in my leadership money would be secondary.

If I had no confidence, no amount of money would be adequate.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sure sounds like it!

Glock has a way of coming in and negotiating deals...

I'm curious: What ammo did/do you all train with/carry on MPD? (Speer Lawman/Gold Dot, etc.....)

Initially , and for a long time afterward , MPD used 124 Hydra Shok ( std pressure) . Likewise MTPD , for as long as 9mm was standard , possibly also when 9mm was optionally grandfathered . ( When MTPD went .40 , all the new hires were issued .40 , but existing ofc had option of switching , or staying with their 9mm . Plenty stuck with 9mm . When MTPD switched from P22x to the plastic Sig , the new ones were all .40 .)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They have a butt load of money, they also have Gen V Glocks. FYI: ERT went away from Sigs, about 10-12 years ago. They all carry Glocks now. But they also have fully automatic m-4’s. The amount of weapons, has never been a problem there. They were probably the first department in the Nation, to issue Glocks. I actually have a Gen 1 marked MPDC on the slide, and MY issued Gen 2, that I bought. Having hands to issue them, is the problem. I retired the day I could. That city is just toxic. No amount of money would’ve enticed me to stay. There are many people just resigning. Being a cop these days, is not conducive to a healthy you or a healthy bank account. Too much to risk, and no-one to stand up for them. Everyone just wants to vilify police. They may have a silent majority of supporters, but, they’re just that; silent.
    Just looking at numbers, at last count DC has 55.1 officers per 10K(3,700 at the time), more than double Houston, Las Vegas, Dallas, LA, Denver, and more than most every other major city in the country, average of 500K+ cities is 20.1/10K. As you say, It doesn't look like there is a problem with the NUMBER of officers, but a massive problem with the city leadership that should be supporting them. Doesn't matter how many police you have if they aren't allowed to do anything, and are hated for taking the job. The crime stats seem to bear out you can have less than half the number of police provided they are paid and trained well, supported by leadership, and have the tools and policies in place to allow them to actually make a difference.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    What would she do to lie about crime stats? Were reports being up/downgraded, etc?

Sounds like musical chairs of lying was going on... including her.

You do have to hand it to her though for running the gauntlet and making it out pretty unscathed.
    Where and when, declassification. etc. Someone could be shot in D.C. and go to P.G. and die. Shooting occurs at the end of the month, the person dies days later, in the next month. Felonies turned into misdemeanors, all the time. ie; Robbery becomes theft. Etc.
    Sure sounds like it!

Glock has a way of coming in and negotiating deals...

I'm curious: What ammo did/do you all train with/carry on MPD? (Speer Lawman/Gold Dot, etc.....)

EDIT to Add: I found this --> https://www.tactical-life.com/firearm-news/police-news/law-enforcement-ammo/

Accurate?

This article was linked on the page as well: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...y-marks/4223a020-9769-44c7-a3b6-5e1d16e9a8b9/

Wow.
    Winchester T +p
    Thank you for that trip down memory lane Grease!
    Lol! You’re welcome
    Initially , and for a long time afterward , MPD used 124 Hydra Shok ( std pressure) . Likewise MTPD , for as long as 9mm was standard , possibly also when 9mm was optionally grandfathered . ( When MTPD went .40 , all the new hires were issued .40 , but existing ofc had option of switching , or staying with their 9mm . Plenty stuck with 9mm . When MTPD switched from P22x to the plastic Sig , the new ones were all .40 .)
    Funny how D.C. led the way, in so many ways. When everyone was switching to 40 cal D.C. stayed the course. Now, 9mm is the go to round, again.
    Just looking at numbers, at last count DC has 55.1 officers per 10K(3,700 at the time), more than double Houston, Las Vegas, Dallas, LA, Denver, and more than most every other major city in the country, average of 500K+ cities is 20.1/10K. As you say, It doesn't look like there is a problem with the NUMBER of officers, but a massive problem with the city leadership that should be supporting them. Doesn't matter how many police you have if they aren't allowed to do anything, and are hated for taking the job. The crime stats seem to bear out you can have less than half the number of police provided they are paid and trained well, supported by leadership, and have the tools and policies in place to allow them to actually make a difference.
    You forget about the 1.2 million commuters and visitors, each day. Now run the math.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    20k is for MOCO, the DC bribe is 1yr salary to stay on for 5.

:outta her

Speaking for myself, if I had confidence in my leadership money would be secondary.

If I had no confidence, no amount of money would be adequate.
    $20,000 hiring bonus is for DC as well:

Qualified applicants will be eligible to receive this incentive in addition to existing benefits, such as the $6,000 housing stipend. The bonus will be paid in two installments: $10,000 will be paid as an initial hiring bonus and the remainder will be paid upon successful completion of the police academy. The starting salary at MPD is currently $60,199, which means that with the new bonus, first-year officers will be eligible to earn more than $80,000.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Las Vegas would also have a divergence in permanent residents vs number of warm bodies present on any specific day .

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    3,100 doesn't include the few dozen wooden guns issued after desk pops every year.
    That many? Haven’t heard about one recently.

Then again…

1677197085325.png

Puts on flame suit…

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Appreciate the info. Was always curious about this.

Do they use Winchester White Box for training?

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Where and when, declassification. etc. Someone could be shot in D.C. and go to P.G. and die. Shooting occurs at the end of the month, the person dies days later, in the next month. Felonies turned into misdemeanors, all the time. ie; Robbery becomes theft. Etc.

Winchester T +p

Lol! You’re welcome

Funny how D.C. led the way, in so many ways. When everyone was switching to 40 cal D.C. stayed the course. Now, 9mm is the go to round, again.

You forget about the 1.2 million commuters and visitors, each day. Now run the math.
    Figures. Nobody wants to be without a chair when the music stops. You think it’s happening more or less now than before?

What do people think of the Winchester T +P round?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Figures. Nobody wants to be without a chair when the music stops. You think it’s happening more or less now than before?

What do people think of the Winchester T +P round?
    It was ok. It was a big step up from the Hydra-shock's. Or so we thought.... The Department I'm with now, uses Federal HST. From what I've seen, these are are far superior

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    It was ok. It was a big step up from the Hydra-shock's. Or so we thought.... The Department I'm with now, uses Federal HST. From what I've seen, these are are far superior
    Interesting!

Did some reading on this:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Interesting!

Did some reading on this:

I still have a bunch of it. From when they gave it out to the off-duty carrier's, such as me. Like I said; "or so we thought". Referring to the +P. The Federal ammo, on a whole, seems to more reliably expand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom