Gray Bill ("Police Officer Recruitment and Retention Act of 2023") Increases Number of MPD Officers

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Former MPD Chief Lanier warned the DC Council in 2010 that if MPD staffing fell below 3,800 officers, it would be "trouble".

“I saw this coming,” Lanier said on Thursday, adding she had “sounded the alarm” to the D.C. government two years ago about the dangers of falling below her hard line.

MPD is at 3,386 officers now.

Interesting to read the whole interview. No concealed carry, 103 murders was a problem and the department was accused of targeting gay pedophiles....

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Interesting to read the whole interview. No concealed carry, 103 murders was a problem and the department was accused of targeting gay pedophiles....
    Yeah. Pretty amazing stuff.

I'll bet she's glad it's someone else's problem now.

She's currently enjoying her gig as head of security for the National Football League:

Lanier earned about $253,000 a year, and will receive an annual pension of at least $165,000 in addition to her NFL salary.

Here's a write-up of what her current role entails: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...f-cathy-lanier-will-do-as-nfl-security-chief/

Last edited:

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I think he is saying the actual number of officers fit for duty is 3100. The difference is made up by people with no-show jobs, folks on suspension or out on disability.
    No sir! That’s all of the guns that are assigned. That means there’s only approximately 3,100 sworn members. Their inflated numbers sometimes include cadets, which have zero police powers. They’ve also been known to county civilian employees. The sick and lame, still have guns assigned to them. They may not be in possession of them, but they are assigned one. This number includes all rank and file. The recruited have guns assigned to them, but, they don’t yet have arrest powers. Nor have they actually passed the academy yet.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Yeah. Pretty amazing stuff.

I'll bet she's glad it's someone else's problem now.

She's currently enjoying her gig as head of security for the National Football League:

Lanier earned about $253,000 a year, and will receive an annual pension of at least $165,000 in addition to her NFL salary.

Here's a write-up of what her current role entails: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...f-cathy-lanier-will-do-as-nfl-security-chief/

Oh, smartest person in the police chief business. Marched through the ranks until she was chief, managed not to get fired and jumped to a sweet industry gig at the right moment. She is 55, a good paycheck and a pension.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Oh, smartest person in the police chief business. Marched through the ranks until she was chief, managed not to get fired and jumped to a sweet industry gig at the right moment. She is 55, a good paycheck and a pension.
    I'm not familiar on where other Chiefs have wound up, but it's probably hard to top where Chief Lanier landed.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Only 3,100 guns are assigned? Are they passed-off between shifts?

They don't have funds to purchase additional guns?

The standard-issue service weapon for MPD officers is the Glock 17 or Glock 19. Officers at the rank of lieutenant or above are authorized to carry the Glock 26.[65] Investigators and Detectives are authorized to carry the Glock 19.

The Emergency Response Team uses the SIG Sauer P226 9x19mm as the sidearm instead of the standard issue Glock pistols carried by other units and officers in the agency.
    [66]

Interesting write-up here comparing department-issued firearms: https://www.tactical-life.com/guns/handguns/largest-departments-police-sidearms/
    They have a butt load of money, they also have Gen V Glocks. FYI: ERT went away from Sigs, about 10-12 years ago. They all carry Glocks now. But they also have fully automatic m-4’s. The amount of weapons, has never been a problem there. They were probably the first department in the Nation, to issue Glocks. I actually have a Gen 1 marked MPDC on the slide, and MY issued Gen 2, that I bought. Having hands to issue them, is the problem. I retired the day I could. That city is just toxic. No amount of money would’ve enticed me to stay. There are many people just resigning. Being a cop these days, is not conducive to a healthy you or a healthy bank account. Too much to risk, and no-one to stand up for them. Everyone just wants to vilify police. They may have a silent majority of supporters, but, they’re just that; silent.

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    No sir! That’s all of the guns that are assigned. That means there’s only approximately 3,100 sworn members. Their inflated numbers sometimes include cadets, which have zero police powers. They’ve also been known to county civilian employees. The sick and lame, still have guns assigned to them. They may not be in possession of them, but they are assigned one. This number includes all rank and file. The recruited have guns assigned to them, but, they don’t yet have arrest powers. Nor have they actually passed the academy yet.
    Not sure what the Academy size/support staff is currently, but Chief Lanier commented on it in the interview (March 2012):

The total staff level of police officers in the city is 3,830, D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said on WTOP’s “Ask the Chief” on Thursday. At least 100 of these are currently in the police academy, with 40 more to support the academy, which drops the total on-street officers below her hard line of 3,800.

So you're probably right about that figure for the present day force.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Not sure what the Academy size/support staff is currently, but Chief Lanier commented on it in the interview (March 2012):

The total staff level of police officers in the city is 3,830, D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said on WTOP’s “Ask the Chief” on Thursday. At least 100 of these are currently in the police academy, with 40 more to support the academy, which drops the total on-street officers below her hard line of 3,800.

So you're probably right about that figure for the present day force.
    And just remember, she was the biggest liar of them all! She constantly lied about crime stats and staffing. When I was in SOD, we’d get “redeployed” every 6 weeks or so, to the hotspots. We were counted twice. Once for SOD and once for patrol. I will say this though, when she found out that other command officials were counting civilians, cadets and recruits, she did get pissed. She was lied to, too. Again, this is information from an extremely reliable source.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    So the number of people on duty is even lower. What's the disability rate at MPD, 6% ?
    That’s hard to say, with moral in the toilet, anyone out with injury or illness, are surely not in a rush to get back. You also have to realize, MPDC is very top heavy. Those officials aren’t out answering calls.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    They have a butt load of money, they also have Gen V Glocks. FYI: ERT went away from Sigs, about 10-12 years ago. They all carry Glocks now. But they also have fully automatic m-4’s. The amount of weapons, has never been a problem there. They were probably the first department in the Nation, to issue Glocks. I actually have a Gen 1 marked MPDC on the slide, and MY issued Gen 2. Having hands to issue them, is the problem. I retired the day I could. That city, as is other cities, is just toxic. No amount of money would’ve enticed me to stay. There are many people just resigning. Being a cop these days, is not conducive to a healthy you or a healthy bank account. Too much to risk, and no-one to stand up for them. Everyone just wants to vilify police. They may have a silent majority of supporters, but, they’re just that; silent.
    Very interesting info. Thank you for your service.

Was ERT happy about making that switch from Sigs? How did they wind up with Sigs in the first place?

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Very interesting info. Thank you for your service.

Was ERT happy about making that switch from Sigs?
    Thank you! I’m still serving, just in a much better location, away from that Hell hole :D
    As far as them switching to Glocks, I don’t remember them bitching, too much….

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    And just remember, she was the biggest liar of them all! She constantly lied about crime stats and staffing. When I was in SOD, we’d get “redeployed” every 6 weeks or so, to the hotspots. We were counted twice. Once for SOD and once for patrol. I will say this though, when she found out that other command officials were counting civilians, cadets and recruits, she did get pissed. She was lied to, too. Again, this is information from an extremely reliable source.
    What would she do to lie about crime stats? Were reports being up/downgraded, etc?

Sounds like musical chairs of lying was going on... including her.

You do have to hand it to her though for running the gauntlet and making it out pretty unscathed.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Thank you! I’m still serving, just in a much better location, away from that Hell hole :D
    As far as them switching to Glocks, I don’t remember them bitching, too much….
    Sure sounds like it!

Glock has a way of coming in and negotiating deals...

I'm curious: What ammo did/do you all train with/carry on MPD? (Speer Lawman/Gold Dot, etc.....)

EDIT to Add: I found this --> https://www.tactical-life.com/firearm-news/police-news/law-enforcement-ammo/

Accurate?

This article was linked on the page as well: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...y-marks/4223a020-9769-44c7-a3b6-5e1d16e9a8b9/

Wow.

Old-School Mark

My pronouns: Me, Myself and I.
    Jan 23, 2023
    Silver Spring
    If Whitlow's original location was still open, I'd be willing to strap on a gun, pin on a badge, and become a MPD lawman

Fresh roasted turkey every day, and only miniature bottles behind the bar

Those were the days
    Thank you for that trip down memory lane Grease!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom