• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonK

Oct 10, 2015
    Indian Head, MD
    Received from my mum today. 12 GA, 1896 model F. Bannerman Manufacturer, who bought the patent from Spencer Arms Company for this 'repeating' shotgun. What info I could find shows that it would have been built between 1890-1907. My mom remembers her father taking it out for quail hunting back in the 40's/50's. Last time I heard it fired was in the 80's (and that was in the house, interesting story I can't repeat at the moment, and no it doesn't involve any injuries to anyone), believe it may have been taken out once or twice since I moved out in '90. Amazingly it survived factory 'modern' loads (Federal field loads #8, mom still had some shells) . This poor lady (the shotgun, not my mom...) has probably sat in the back of a closet for the pass 20 years or so, hence it's current state. Mechanically she appears fine, the action appears to work and can cycle shells on through, only appears to be missing one screw (one of two on left side panel that appears to keep the left action bar). I have not tried to disassemble it any way, just wiped the exterior down with some Hoppe's before putting in safe for the night.

I don't plan on firing it, but I do want to prevent any further rusting and clean her up enough to show some of that Damascus steel if possible. This is not to be sold (while I'm alive at least) so am not really concerned about resell value BUT want to save any patina possible and 'character' and original parts, but not sure if that's possible to do while taking care of the rust. Any suggestions on a good course of action to preserve her would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PhotoFrame_20153626001279.jpg
      PhotoFrame_20153626001279.jpg
      37.3 KB · Views: 315

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Disassemble. Electrolysis. Lube, preserve. Reassemble.

Agreed. I wouldn't do too much to it in the mode of heavy scrubbing or restoration.

I ended up with a 12ga from both of my grandfathers when they passed. One is an Ithaca 37 that is like 4 feet long, and the other is a Remington 10 that is the same. I wiped them both down and turns out they were both in decent shape. I wouldn't have the heart to restore them.

RonK

Oct 10, 2015
    Indian Head, MD
    Plan on breaking her down later today and rub her down with rags and patches, and documenting all the pieces, and put her back in the 'safe'. Going to research the electrolysis a bit more and will do some test runs if going that route.
    Making a journal of sorts right now for her with bits of information I can find and add any stories I can dig up such as the below my mom relayed to me this morning on messenger.

"... Has sentimental value for me as it is one of the few things I have from my Dad, and only thing I actually remember him using. That is the gun he used when he took Aunt Sandy and me along on a pheasant hunting expedition and used us as dogs to flush the pheasants out. :) (Imagine that violated one of your gun safety rules. ;) )... "

Was I wrong for pointing out that good hunting dogs ARE expensive? :innocent0

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's great to receive firearms with a family history. I have my Great Grandfather's Batavia Leader damascus sxs and my Grandfather's Savage Fox sxs hanging on the wall.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    When I inherited my Grandfathers Remington model 10 I wanted to get the barrel cut down to replicate the 10R riot model. I decided against it and found a complete front end for sale on eBay and jumped on it.

I now have the factory shotgun my Grandfather owned with an extra complete 20" barreled front end I can swap to when I shoot it. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Feb 28, 2013
    When I inherited my Grandfathers Remington model 10 I wanted to get the barrel cut down to replicate the 10R riot model. I decided against it and found a complete front end for sale on eBay and jumped on it.

I now have the factory shotgun my Grandfather owned with an extra complete 20" barreled front end I can swap to when I shoot it. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Good call on decidin' against that one. That would be a prime candidate for the C&R bubbification thread.:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom