• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Just came in after 5 weeks on backorder.

Its a small version of a traditional Scandinavian forest axe. 3 1/4", 2lb head, 19" handle.

20160603_193610.jpg

Gränfors Bruk is a small 30 person forge in Sweden. Each one is custom crafted by a blacksmith, who strikes their initials into the head of each one.

20160603_193919.jpg

Came already sharpened with a mirror finish. It is certainly the nicest axe I have ever owned. Intend to use it as a backpack/camping axe, and keep in in my truck in between.

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Beautiful axe. I bought the same one a couple years ago. Absolutely love mine for camping and yard work.

Did you use anything on the handle to seal it ?

I used SLIP EWL on the head - I love that on all my hand woodworking tools.

sgi_va

Jan 11, 2016
    Just came in after 5 weeks on backorder.

Its a small version of a traditional Scandinavian forest axe. 3 1/4", 2lb head, 19" handle.

View attachment 178970

Gränfors Bruk is a small 30 person forge in Sweden. Each one is custom crafted by a blacksmith, who strikes their initials into the head of each one.

View attachment 178971

Came already sharpened with a mirror finish. It is certainly the nicest axe I have ever owned. Intend to use it as a backpack/camping axe, and keep in in my truck in between.
    Couldn't stop myself from posting mine... this is Russian/German version for the everyday ax :)
    f9e8ddff0f2ce3a0c24021ab58e5b320.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Gransfors Bruks makes good stuff. I have the small forest axe and the smaller hatchet. The hatchet is razor sharp and I had to get stitched up after not being careful with it. I also have one of their mauls and used it to split quite a few logs after the tree was cut down in the yard. I really like forged axes.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Did you use anything on the handle to seal it ?

I used SLIP EWL on the head - I love that on all my hand woodworking tools.

I used a few coats of linseed oil when I first got it and a coat every now and then between uses.

For the head, I use CRC penetrating oil on a rag or the CLP from my gun cabinet if I run out of the CRC stuff. I've never had a rust issue with that axe.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Can I ax how much this implement costs?

Shipping costs from Scandinavia must be a pretty penny.

Prices have fallen in recent years. Currently $223 and free Prime shipping from Amazon.

I have a Gransfors Bruk Scandinavian Forest Axe, American Felling Axe, and Hunter's Axe - love them all.

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Can I ax how much this implement costs?

Shipping costs from Scandinavia must be a pretty penny.

Got it from Lee Valley tools - MSRP of $115 plus shipping. Ordered 1st of May.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,44728,45794,20129&p=20129

For whatever reason, they don't show up high in google results. But I get almost all my fine woodworking tools from these guys. I know that the imports are rationed - some sites were backordered to August - but Lee Valley is a premiere retailer in this space and must be getting a good allocation.

Everywhere else I looked that claimed in stock or ebay was $200+

Right now Lee Valley is offering free shipping with $40+ orders.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Man that's cool.

I don't know why exactly, but I love tools that are at the height of their design and perfection.

A couple years ago I bought a very similar 'small axe', just to have and admire it. I hope I never have to use it, but in some one in a million chance it could save a life.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    Got it from Lee Valley tools - MSRP of $115 plus shipping. Ordered 1st of May.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,44728,45794,20129&p=20129

For whatever reason, they don't show up high in google results. But I get almost all my fine woodworking tools from these guys. I know that the imports are rationed - some sites were backordered to August - but Lee Valley is a premiere retailer in this space and must be getting a good allocation.

Everywhere else I looked that claimed in stock or ebay was $200+

Right now Lee Valley is offering free shipping with $40+ orders.

:thumbsup:Thanks for sharing - those are awesome prices!

I'll definitely keep them in mind next time I'm in the market.

Noticed they don't carry the entire lineup (e.g., my American Felling Axe). It's a monster, model #434-2, 4.8lb head with the 35.5" curved handle. There are actually three models of this axe (2 head weights and 3 handle lengths/shapes). I always research Gränsfors Bruks directly before purchasing online. Many sites are off on the specs or nomenclature in some small way. Lee Valley appears to be dead-nuts accurate.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    What I love about MDShooters is that I'm continually learning about cool stuff I absolutely must have that I never knew existed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom