• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I do not go to B'more nor vacation in md since I'm not allowed to protect my family in this state. I spend as little here as possible and will leave as soon as possible mainly because I can not defend my family here.

I'm sure I'm a minority in this "progressive" state but not among the people here. Allowing for CCW would not make the libtards leave but would allow us to defend ourselves and possibly increase money spent here and retirees staying in this state.

CCW has NOT hurt FL nor any other state I can think of when it come to tourist dollars. However, not being allowed to carry has in my opinion.

I have many friends and family who will NOT come to md due to it's draconian guns laws, and I don't blame them.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Some Asst AG in the AG office wrote an opinion that seems to conclude the only recourse is a change in the statute.Of course that came straight from Frosh's mouth. Many here have postulated all that's really necessary is for Hogan to grow a pair.

I'm in that camp.

The Delegate that requested that opinion (forget the name offhand) is now apostate to the .orgs, I believe.

Hogan 'understands' 2A... but it's never seemed a 'priority'.

Has he made positive changes? Sure. But he's not done all he COULD do, probably for fear of floor fights in the GA.

IMO, he needs to decide about his presence on the pot. Move EVERYTHING forward, or risk being primaried.

To the room...

2017 is, as I've said since 2013, will be critical. It will require the 2A Community to coalesce as never before, and build on this year's momentum. Thing is (again, as I've said for years), this has GOT to be a 12-month fight, starting yesterday.

VCDL, RMGO, CTCarry, ILCarry (even OCT), do better than we do (in many areas) for one reason alone... continuity.

It doesn't have to be full in-their-face belligerence. But it won't work at all, looking to a few to handle this in a specified timeframe.

Ask the leaders of your club, LGS, range, etc. about stepping up to help the larger .orgs, and do just that little bit more to turn up the heat.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The Delegate that requested that opinion (forget the name offhand) is now apostate to the .orgs, I believe.

Hogan 'understands' 2A... but it's never seemed a 'priority'.

Has he made positive changes? Sure.

But he's not done all he COULD do, probably for fear of floor fights in the GA.

IMO, he needs to decide about his presence on the pot. Move EVERYTHING forward, or risk being primaried.

Primarying a Republican Governor in Maryland who is enjoying a 70%+ approval rate would be utter insanity on the part of the whatever the hell constitutes the "GOP" in Maryland.

Ridiculous.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Primarying a Republican Governor in Maryland who is enjoying a 70%+ approval rate would be utter insanity on the part of the whatever the hell constitutes the "GOP" in Maryland.

Ridiculous.

This,× 1,000,000

I have never been convinced by the wave-the-magic-wand gubernatorial power to change G&S. We did not get tax cuts because the GA was dicking around with felon rights and other irrelevancies. And, tax cuts are more popular than gun rights. The GA spent a lot of hot air on the terror watch list, campus gun bans, and stopping HPRB appointments.

Just keeping a finger in the dyke is a full time job.

The people that need to be ousted are M&M and Zirkin. Not for guns so much as prioritizing felons over the middle class. No matter how convinced Hogan is, he only has limited tools.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Hogan has options. Yes, we would like to see self-defense recognized as G&S by the MSP, but a simple order to follow the law of "may issue" regarding restrictions would be a positive move and show some support, but he won't even consider that much.

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    This,× 1,000,000

I have never been convinced by the wave-the-magic-wand gubernatorial power to change G&S. We did not get tax cuts because the GA was dicking around with felon rights and other irrelevancies. And, tax cuts are more popular than gun rights. The GA spent a lot of hot air on the terror watch list, campus gun bans, and stopping HPRB appointments.

Just keeping a finger in the dyke is a full time job.

The people that need to be ousted are M&M and Zirkin. Not for guns so much as prioritizing felons over the middle class. No matter how convinced Hogan is, he only has limited tools.

This. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I've read here that most Facebook posts from people on here about 2A get deleted by staff and don't stay on for very long. I made a simple reply last week and it's still up there. In a post about changes being made by the Governor on May 2nd I replied "How about concealed carry permits for law abiding citizens?"

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    I've read here that most Facebook posts from people on here about 2A get deleted by staff and don't stay on for very long. I made a simple reply last week and it's still up there. In a post about changes being made by the Governor on May 2nd I replied "How about concealed carry permits for law abiding citizens?"

I believe one of mine was deleted. Thread shows 18 comments and only about 10 are showing.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hogan's pages have taken a position that we need to change the GA, and this is true. They seem to think there is nothing else Hogan can do.
    I know you're a clever guy from your other posts, so I'm not sure why you believe this narrative. Hogan is a politician, and a surprisingly good one for his previous lack of experience. If he does not personally care about gun rights - and I think this is the only sane conclusion to reach now - shifting blame from the governor's office to the GA is just a political stratagem.

And if it's just a political move, it doesn't matter how much you "try to change his mind". He's not going to change his mind with further education, because his position isn't based on ignorance, it's based on politics. Unless you can figure out a way to make it politically worth his while to move on helping gun owners, you may as well be talking to a wall.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Oh I understand completely. The difference is I see we have two choices. Give up and be cynical or push forward and see what we can do. After all, what does it hurt to try?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Some Asst AG in the AG office wrote an opinion that seems to conclude the only recourse is a change in the statute.Of course that came straight from Frosh's mouth. Many here have postulated all that's really necessary is for Hogan to grow a pair.

I'm in that camp.

Overlooked by our side in that AAG letter, was the specific inclusion of "reasonable precaution against apprehended danger" into the law, the language attempts prior to its inclusion, and who requested "reasonable precaution" to be inserted (a gun owner group).

reasonable precaution had a specific meaning, and long history when it was recycled into the carry law in 1972. MSP is currently pretending it doesnt have that meaning, they have just "made up" a new meaning for the phrase. to back that up, they point to 2 court cases, one of which admits they made it up, and the other of which cannot even quote the phrase correctly (calling it "apprehended fear", which is something completely different).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Oh I understand completely. The difference is I see we have two choices. Give up and be cynical or push forward and see what we can do. After all, what does it hurt to try?
    Are we pushing forward? We've made the mistake of confusing action with progress repeatedly on this forum.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Ok. Trying to push forward, trying to move forward, trying to do something

Whatever semantics you want. I'd rather keep trying while we have a Republican, even a moderate one, than just give up and be bitter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    Are we pushing forward? We've made the mistake of confusing action with progress repeatedly on this forum.

Good point. I can be counted among the cynics. I see lots of action but not much progress. Same thing I have seen for the last 45 years. People celebrating no action by the MGA as progress is lost on me, as I suspect it is lost on others.

I don't fault those taking action, wish them well and applaud their efforts but believe they to will one day be counted as cynics.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Good point. I can be counted among the cynics. I see lots of action but not much progress. Same thing I have seen for the last 45 years. People celebrating no action by the MGA as progress is lost on me, as I suspect it is lost on others.

I don't fault those taking action, wish them well and applaud their efforts but believe they to will one day be counted as cynics.
    Yup......

Lots of us have been confused by how not LOSING ground is a "win".

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Yup......

Lots of us have been confused by how not LOSING ground is a "win".

It's actually easily explained.

Both chambers of the MGA have veto-proof majorities and are run by gun grabbing politicians who, while not particularly sharp as regards 2A, are excellent politicians. Their influence, campaign cash and ability to control assignments (and to some extent, "career" progress) can buy a lot of votes from the lemmings who are much more interested in re-election and/or a favor than they are in doing what's right.

For much of recent memory (O'Malley and Glendening), Maryland's Governor has been an equally rabid grabber, one of whom was trying to shine up his liberal agenda for a run at the presidency. With all those factors in consideration, it's easy to see how "not losing" is a pretty considerable feat. We could have Ted Nugent in the Governor's mansion, and while things would certainly be different in some respects, the MGA would still be highly motivated to defeat any and all efforts to improve firearm laws in Maryland. How much political capital could even Ted Nugent expect to have if his entire agenda is knee capped by veto overrides at every single turn?

There's no doubt it's frustrating as hell, and it's easy to be pithy and sarcastic about "winning at not losing," but facts are stubborn things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom