Good Shotgun for Getting into Trap/Skeet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetNavyHD

Dec 7, 2008
    North East, MD
    I don't mean to invite myself, but if we can get together for some chootin' I'd be interested. I have a cheap semi and have shot about 50 rounds at some clays, just starting out, and could use some pointers if you may have a place in mind.

Not sure where Colora is but yes I know plenty of ranges to do some shooting and would be glad to have you join for some clays. Send PM with contact info

RetNavyHD

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    Thanks for the help guys. So, I'll shift my search to 20 gauge. I was mainly looking at Remington because they seem to be very versatile. I'll also try to take damifinowfish up on his offer and shoot a couple.

Andy

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Thanks for the help guys. So, I'll shift my search to 20 gauge. I was mainly looking at Remington because they seem to be very versatile. I'll also try to take damifinowfish up on his offer and shoot a couple.

Andy

How big is your 14 yo? We rented a 20 g O/U for my daughter today (she's 5'5" 120 lbs) and she hated it. While it was lighter than the 12 g she'd used before, it kicked harder and seemed to whip around too much.

I tried it and hated it. It felt like a toy to me...

I'd look for a 12g w/a 28" or 30" barrel and use lighter loads...

Jamie

peafarmer

Dec 23, 2011
    Annapolis
    He's 5'5", 135 lbs. I guess we're really going to have to put a few in his hands. I was sort of itching to buy one, though. Patience is a virtue....

Andy

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I shoot my 870 with no cheater-chokes. Basic barrel and I've outshot guy with expensive over unders.

That's always a good feeling, but at the same time it really makes no difference to me. The shotgun don't make the man, nor does good luck. :lol2:

I shot a round of 16 yard singles trap with a 70 year old 24" barrel 20 gauge bolt action single shot, and broke every bird with the cheapest factory ammo I could find. It's a shame since I wasn't using my primary shotgun, my first and only in trap, but I don't really shoot trap all that much. I was just on my mental game that night and probably couldn't do it again.

I do use "cheater chokes" as taking +50 yard shots is very hard to do with a skeet choke. :D

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    He's 5'5", 135 lbs. I guess we're really going to have to put a few in his hands. I was sort of itching to buy one, though. Patience is a virtue....

Andy

My club runs a strong Jr's program. I am usually able to fit most juniors with a shot gun. They will be able to hit a bird by the end of the day or we did not do our job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom