• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    I have been looking into getting a nice bolt action .308. I have seen two I like. One was a Savage model 10 and the other was a Rem. 700 model aac(?), it had a threaded barrel. I don't want change stocks, just add a scope and shoot. I think they both had heavy 20 inch barrels. I saw the Savage at the gun show nib and was listed at 699.00 and iirc the rem. was right around 650.00
    which would be the better buy? the Rem may have been closer to 700.00

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I just got a Ruger American Rifle in .308

First impressions on my site

cockrum.net/shooting.html

Didnt make it to the range yet.

Chris

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I have a rem700 and love it. I too have a 20" heavy barrel and recently took a long range class that was outstanding thru cvt. good luck with your purchase.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    I have and love my tikka t3 lite - 308. It's accurate, light and has the absolute smoothest action. Trigger is crisp too. I paid about 600 for the lite, but they also have a varmint and tactical version. If I'm not mistaken, Tikka is a subsidiary of Sako and imported by Beretta.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    Chek out the Savage Hog Hunter and Scout Rifle. Both are great right out of the box. Justin did a great write up on the Hog Hunter under my IP section. The scout has the accu trigger and the acu stock out of the box. (I have both in stock too!!)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Tikka T3 is an awesome rifle for the price.

Savage makes some very nice and accurate rifles.

Remington 700 is the 10/22 of bolt guns. Lots of accessories, parts, tuning, etc available.

I like Ruger rifles, but if you decide later you want a stock, you are more limited than the Savage or Rem.

Personally, I have a Rem 700 PS-1, that now has a Timney trigger, Manners T4A stock (mini chassis and Badger bottom metal), Vortex Viper PST 6-25x scope.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the tikka t3 lite. I think I am leaning towards the Savage 10. I just want something accurate out of the box, of course after I put nice glass on top. I shot my friends model 10 and the trigger was extra crisp.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    my advice after buying an ADL remy in .308 is to buy a model with a nicer stock....my ADL shoots awesome but stock upgrades are EXPENSIVE and i wouldve waited and bought a nicer model stock wise in the first place....

JRiddle

May 18, 2011
    Love my 700 sps tactical

Attachments

• image-3756694851.jpg
      image-3756694851.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 344

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Howa 1500 (Weatherby Vanguard). Also sold as the Mossberg 1500 and S&W 1500. 20" heavy fluted varmint barrel (also available in 24") in .308. I did swap the stock Hogue stock for a Bell and Carlson Medalist tactical, switched to a 22 oz Jard match trigger, and added the detachable magazine mod. Built it for F-class and beyond if I ever get time to play with it much.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    From personal experience, get the Model 10. It shoots sub-MOA out of the box. But, I don't think the Remmy is a bad choice either.

You are more than welcome to send a few down range if we can arrange a time and place.

If you do get the Savage, get it from HogSniper. That's where I got mine from. The service is great and the prices are hard to beat.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    my advice after buying an ADL remy in .308 is to buy a model with a nicer stock....my ADL shoots awesome but stock upgrades are EXPENSIVE and i wouldve waited and bought a nicer model stock wise in the first place....

Actually, the barrelled action of your ADL, if it's the varmint model, is the same as the 700P and the SPS models. A quality aluminum bedded stock (Bell & Carlson M40 style etc) can be had for around $250. This is leaps and bounds above the Hogue overmolded stock that Remington puts on the SPS rifles. You would actually come out ahead. And there is probably someone who wants to buy that old ADL canoe paddle stock too.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There is also the HS stock for the 700 that is used on the PSS/PS-1 models.

You can also buy them new from Stocky's.

I may be selling the one I took off my PS-1 for the Manners. Not sure yet, as my wife is getting interested, so I might pick up a cheap ADL for the barreled action and drop it into the HS. :)

Or buy a custom receiver that fits 700 stocks, put a good barrel on it, and put it into the Manners and put the stock 700 back into the HS. :)

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Both are good choices you wont regret.

I personally lean to the Savage. The stock fits me fine, love the trigger, and I bought an extra magazine for it so I can reload another 4 rounds in a snap. (As if I really need to do that in a hurry when I'm just plinking target paper.)

I preferred the feel of the Remingtons stock, but the fore end seemed to have more flex than the Savages stock, which made me wonder if it would contact the barrel when using a bipod? The Remingtons trigger was ok, but I didn't love it like the Savages. The Remingtons lack of a removable magazine isn't horrible in a precision bolt action rifle, so that wasn't a huge issue.

You said you don't want to do mods. (Neither do I, at least not yet. :) ) That said, while both have plenty of aftermarket support, the Remington is clearly better known and thus has better support. It's a recognized standard, while the Savage is still 'different' to many.

So, 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Go buy one, install glass, take it shooting, never look back. You'll be fine.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    There is also the HS stock for the 700 that is used on the PSS/PS-1 models.

You can also buy them new from Stocky's.

I may be selling the one I took off my PS-1 for the Manners. Not sure yet, as my wife is getting interested, so I might pick up a cheap ADL for the barreled action and drop it into the HS. :)

Or buy a custom receiver that fits 700 stocks, put a good barrel on it, and put it into the Manners and put the stock 700 back into the HS. :)

I might be interested in the HS stock for the 700. Really want a manners but funds are low...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom