• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I started with a Lee Classic Turret Press and it's still my only press. My 308 match ammo is all still done one at a time but I crank out handgun ammo as fast as it will let me. I started doing the same thing with .223 too.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm going to preface this post with the fact that I own and use a Lee Turret Press, a Lyman Crusher, and a Dillon 550.

There's a big difference between reloading pistol brass and the full size cartridges the OP wants to reload. Resizing a 7.62x54R takes a lot of grunt, and I stopped trying with the Lee Turret Press I have. Same with resizing 30-06 and 7mm Mauser. I don't think the Lee Turret Press is sturdy enough to take a steady diet of resizing those bigger cartridges. For bullet seating and such, it's fine. That's why, after 25+ years of reloading, the Lyman Crusher is still on my bench. After breaking an aluminum press while resizing 7mm-08 brass, I want a big, steel single-stage press for this duty.

Which turret press are you referring to, my Classic Cast Turret press is pretty darn beefy, and with doobie using the word Classic in his post I'd have to assume he's talking the same press. Now as for the regular turret from Lee I wouldn't give that one a second look when looking for a press. I'm not big on the aluminum either, and the way it discharges spent primers looks cumbersome also.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Which turret press are you referring to, my Classic Cast Turret press is pretty darn beefy, and with doobie using the word Classic in his post I'd have to assume he's talking the same press. Now as for the regular turret from Lee I wouldn't give that one a second look when looking for a press. I'm not big on the aluminum either, and the way it discharges spent primers looks cumbersome also.

I have the 4-hole turret press. It is not steel. And it dumps the empty primers into itself, so I have to take it off the bench to vacuum them up :rolleyes: But half the dead primers end up on the floor. It is currently relegated to seating bullets for .223 and reloading my cowboy action rounds. I resize all rifle brass, including .223, in my big Lyman. Oh, and I have to use the Lyman to seat all of my 30 caliber bullets as they don't quite fit in the Lee. All straight wall pistol ammunition is going through the Dillon. Since the OP is loading the longer milsurp rounds, the turret press, in my opinion, isn't a good choice.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have the 4-hole turret press. It is not steel. And it dumps the empty primers into itself, so I have to take it off the bench to vacuum them up :rolleyes: But half the dead primers end up on the floor. It is currently relegated to seating bullets for .223 and reloading my cowboy action rounds. I resize all rifle brass, including .223, in my big Lyman. Oh, and I have to use the Lyman to seat all of my 30 caliber bullets as they don't quite fit in the Lee. All straight wall pistol ammunition is going through the Dillon. Since the OP is loading the longer milsurp rounds, the turret press, in my opinion, isn't a good choice.

I have the 4 hole classic cast iron press, it dumps the primers in a tube through the middle of the ram, holds several hundred spent primers, no need to vacuum anything, just put can under the tube and remove cap and primers fall into can. I do all my 30 cal; 300 win mag, 308, 30-06, on it with no problem, and I would not see where the OP would have any problem with his milsurp. But that's for him to decide, I'm just saying to not over look the classic cast turret, but don't mistake the regular 4 hole turret with the classic cast turret as I wouldn't attempt to use the latter, no comparison between the two except for using the same turrets. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom