• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Hello,
    I am going to jump into reloading soon and try and reload some of my milsurp rifle rounds, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54r 303 British etc. to save on sourcing these rounds and the cost per round that I am paying. I have never reloaded before and would like to ask a few questions to help me start the process. I have read the stickys and they were a huge help but I have a few questions regarding purchasing a press. I believe I want a progressive press to get started. I like the amount of rounds per hour that they can produce if performed correctly as opposed to the single stage press. Would it be best to try and find a used set up or buy a complete stater set? I saw a Lee Anniversary Kit for a pretty good price but I also thought that maybe someone on MDS has a press they wants to upgrade and sell theirs first. I would like to get into reloading as cost effective as possible.
    Any thoughts, comments and advice would be great.
    Thanks!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Howdy.

***Not what you want to hear alert.***

You won't need an automated/progressive press for military rifle rounds. Unless you shoot them every week and go through thousands of rounds per year. Which is uber-rare for milsurps.

An RCBS Rock Chucker would be perfect for your application. You can reload a lot of rifle ammo on a single stage press. You'll likely produce more rounds in an hour or two than you'd shoot in a range session.

Also. Being new to reloading, it's important to learn the process. The learning and the discipline is much more intimate with a single stage.

Good luck and have fun.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I think that you should start out with a single stage press and get a progressive or turret later if you are loading that many rounds. Progressive presses are not as strong because the turret overhangs the ram and can have problems full length resizing large rifle cases. I do heavy resizing on a Lee classic cast (excellent and inexpensive press) and all other large volume operations on a progressive. I clean my brass after resizing/depriming so two presses works out pretty well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Get a single stage press, that Lee Anniversary kit is decent enough for starters. There's probably a ton of folks here who can show you the ropes if you're interested.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Wait! What?

Someone is actually taking the advice given without questioning it. This has to be an MDS first.

I'll be right back. NOPE! Not raining cats and dogs.

Very wise choice, OP. All I can add is buy a really good, GREEN..., reloading manual and read it.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I still use the Lee hand press that was gifted to me a number of years ago. It's easy to use, fun, and I see no need to change. :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I know I'm late to the response party but a lee turret press can be used in single stage fashion and gives you a bit of room to grow after you understand the process and get good at it. (and swapping calibers is as easy as buying more turrets and setting them up ahead of time!)

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I know I'm late to the response party but a lee turret press can be used in single stage fashion and gives you a bit of room to grow after you understand the process and get good at it. (and swapping calibers is as easy as buying more turrets and setting them up ahead of time!)

I have a Lee Turret press in the classifieds right now. For a new reloader just make me an offer!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    A single stage press is perfectly fine for the milsurp rounds you list. i would also recommend only neck-sizing the cases - especially with 303B. Chambers in old milsurp rifles are usually generous. Full length sizing the cases every reload will wear the cases out much more quickly. When you only neck size it's best to dedicate the cases to the rifle they were fireformed in.

With the $'s you save on going with a single stage press, get yourself a couple of Lee molds, sizing dies and a casting pot. Casting your own CB's to shoot in milsurp rifles is easy.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• CB Reloads Capture.jpg
      CB Reloads Capture.jpg
      89.3 KB · Views: 196

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    And the ABC's of Reloading book was a really helpful read for me as well. I highly recommend it. It's not that expensive, and it is more informative than Youtube video's.

Reloading books/manuals are your friend, no need to cheap out here.

I used a single stage Orange Crush Lyman for 30 years, got a Lee Turret which sped things up for handgun loads. Then I got a Dillon 550.

It didn't actually translate into the advertised speed, because in the Orange Crush days I had primed, so the forward move of the handle is strange to me and I forget. Anyway I agree that single stage or turret is more suited to your needs.

Blue Koolaid drinkers go easy on me. In a couple more thousand rounds, I might be as fast as you guys.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I take an opposite position on this issue...and I don't drink koolaid. Use what works for ya...:thumbsup: There is nothing inherently wrong with starting with a progressive press. For the first 50 rounds or so just run one round at a time through the press...as a multiposition single stage if you will. Purchasing a press up to the task of loading rifle rounds...you will give away no consistency nor accuracy with the rounds listed, OP - caveat given to bench rest or high precision requirements, then much is on the loading details and technique. Competitive shooters have been using that blue press (not a plug for them) for years...not much leverage working against that large ram. That is with rounds like 308 and 30-06. I've loaded 223 on a progressive which shoots under one inch at 100 yards. Just haven't gotten around to the bigger calibers yet...The 45 ACP shell plate will suffice for those two rounds...but I will use the progressive.

As a matter of fact, the blue press company even sells a "single stage" press based on their progressive design. It is readily upgradesble to full progressive operation. Looking back, if progressive presses would have been available 35 years ago, I would have started with one.

True, while you may not be shooting in a volume 'needing' a progressive press, the single stage would keep initial costs down. If you plan on shooting pistol a good bit in the future or start shooting a great deal of rifle (223/5.56, 300 BO, 308/7.62x51), you will want a progressive.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I still use the Lee hand press that was gifted to me a number of years ago. It's easy to use, fun, and I see no need to change. :)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

+1 on the Lee hand press. I've been using mine about 5 years now. Slow, yet simple and easy to use anywhere. It produces excellent reloads.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I just started reloading about 3-4 years ago. Started off with a used Rock ChuckerII single stage press and very shortly after a LEE Classic Turret that I bought from someone here on MDS. I started loading 357 magnum, then went to 223 Rem, 45 ACP, 9mm, 40 S&W. I almost always use the turret press. My way of thinking is that it offers the best of both worlds...and seems much faster to reload since I can install the dies in the turret plate, adjust them, and go to town instead of having to size cases, and then remove and replace die to seat bullets (single stage). Nothing wrong with single stage...I use it for trying to make accurate rifle ammo. But for plinking ammo, the turret is the one I use.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Sure learn on a single stage press, good way to hard to mess up and teaches you the fundamentals. I wouldn't jump into a 1050 but a 550 or 650 makes a great 2nd press of you are going really reload a large ,number of rounds.. I love my 650 and once I get it set up for particular round it really rolls. Just finished rolling 1000 9mm a few weeks ago, took me about 2 hours. Really depends on your needs but the progressive requires more attention to task especially when reloading pistol rounds. Welcome to reloading!

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Check out Youtube. There are a lot of videos available. It's almost like having someone show you.

The videos serve two purposes. 1. They provide instruction, sometimes detailed instruction. They can be rewound.
    2. If some of those yahoos can reload, so can you!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I just started reloading about 3-4 years ago. Started off with a used Rock ChuckerII single stage press and very shortly after a LEE Classic Turret that I bought from someone here on MDS. I started loading 357 magnum, then went to 223 Rem, 45 ACP, 9mm, 40 S&W. I almost always use the turret press. My way of thinking is that it offers the best of both worlds...and seems much faster to reload since I can install the dies in the turret plate, adjust them, and go to town instead of having to size cases, and then remove and replace die to seat bullets (single stage). Nothing wrong with single stage...I use it for trying to make accurate rifle ammo. But for plinking ammo, the turret is the one I use.

My go to press also, I've got a single stage I started with and now it's for sizing cast bullets, making 300BO cases and whatnot.
    Set those dies in a turret and changing calibers is a snap.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to preface this post with the fact that I own and use a Lee Turret Press, a Lyman Crusher, and a Dillon 550.

There's a big difference between reloading pistol brass and the full size cartridges the OP wants to reload. Resizing a 7.62x54R takes a lot of grunt, and I stopped trying with the Lee Turret Press I have. Same with resizing 30-06 and 7mm Mauser. I don't think the Lee Turret Press is sturdy enough to take a steady diet of resizing those bigger cartridges. For bullet seating and such, it's fine. That's why, after 25+ years of reloading, the Lyman Crusher is still on my bench. After breaking an aluminum press while resizing 7mm-08 brass, I want a big, steel single-stage press for this duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom