• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My first Glock was a used and stippled competition gun. The second was a new one that I was going to both carry and compete with. I personally like the stippling, and the undercut trigger guard. On the second, because stippling is illegal in IDPA SSP, I put grip tape on it. Of the 2 I like the stippling best but both ways work.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    Don't be a jackass and drive the solderingiron through the grip and you will be fine. Who cares if it void the warrantey. Frame is 150 off of gunbroker or send it to cold bore or tactical textures (or something like that).

Best way is to get a woodburning kit and grind one of the bits flat. Cut across it with a dremel until you find a pattern you like. Stamp the grip while turning the iron every time you put it down.

Practice on the glock mag loaders...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why do people stipple the sides? Front and back straps are the primary contact points on the hand grip. Unless someone makes a round hand grip :-)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Why do people stipple the sides? Front and back straps are the primary contact points on the hand grip. Unless someone makes a round hand grip :-)
    Not true..

Proper grip will have your support hand (meaty part of palm) fill the gaps on the sides.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good topic.

I haven't 'stippled' or whatever its called any of my guns. I just haven't felt I needed more grip. But for those that have, good on them, whatever floats their boat, and I'm sure some have actually benefitted from it.

Generally I see this going two ways (not three). First, it's done to make the grippy parts a little more grippy, maybe even too grippy if you don't wear gloves and shoot a lot. The Second group are the cosmetic stippling, you mostly see this on the cover of magazines, and honestly some of it looks very cool, especially when done with a little cut away under the trigger and re-shaping of the grip in combination to etching or modifying the slide grooves. There's a lot of cool stuff out there, just don't know that its worth doubling (or more) the price of the gun for the effect.

The last group (third, that I don't see) are the people you are trying to make fun of. I don't think gang bangers are stippling their guns, and if they do, I doubt they are reading this thread. But some of the work is amazing, I'm a little jealous too. :)

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'm not a huge fan of permanent modifications. I like the look and feel of stippling but it isn't something I would do.

My favorite grip enhancement is a bicycle tube. A friend suggested it and I gave it a try. I didn't take it seriously at first but it works great.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not a huge fan of permanent modifications. I like the look and feel of stippling but it isn't something I would do.

My favorite grip enhancement is a bicycle tube. A friend suggested it and I gave it a try. I didn't take it seriously at first but it works great.

But you're going to say there's no way at all that it will interfere with the mag release and you will risk your life for it.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    But you're going to say there's no way at all that it will interfere with the mag release and you will risk your life for it.

Why would it interfere with the mag release? It is tight on the grip and hasn't moved. If you are dumb enough to put anything near the mag release that's your issue.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Why would it interfere with the mag release? It is tight on the grip and hasn't moved. If you are dumb enough to put anything near the mag release that's your issue.

They can walk/shift when oil or sweat seep between the grip, or it heats up from the summer.

I have seen it plenty of times.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    They can walk/shift when oil or sweat seep between the grip, or it heats up from the summer.

I have seen it plenty of times.

While I haven't experienced what you're saying (and I've used it extensively on hot summer days and while wet) I can certainly see how that can happen.

I had a hell of a time getting it on dry. I've seen recommendations to use dish soap, etc.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    While I haven't experienced what you're saying (and I've used it extensively on hot summer days and while wet) I can certainly see how that can happen.

I had a hell of a time getting it on dry. I've seen recommendations to use dish soap, etc.

The nice thing about the "dish soap" method... is that it goes on easier... and when the dish soap dries, it stays in place "ish".

The NOT so nice thing about the dish soap method is that ANY moisture allowed to get in between the tube and grip will rehydrate the dish soap and cause the tube to slip around on the grip.

The same thing goes for the "Hogue Handall" grip sleeves. Which is why I stopped using them on my Glock carry pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom