• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Trigger and Trigger Bar is the same if my memory serves me right on Gen3 and 4. I cant recall if the locking block, or Slide Stop is different but the FCG Pack is different.

The recoil assemblies still self destruct (Not as often) and they just wont run as well with a can as the std Gen 1-3 recoil assembly in my experience.

Cool, thanks for the info. I own a Gen3 19 and it's great. Is it safe to assume that if a gen3 fits me, I won't really need anything other than the "standard" grip and not need the interchangable backstraps? Otherwise I could just get a Gen3 and put in an extended mag release and be good? Other than the backstraps, is there anything (good) a Gen4 can do that a Gen3 can't?

mazinger

Feb 11, 2013
    Columbia
    i own both gens. the g4 had some serious BTF issues in the beginning. after trying out bunch of remedies, it now functions perfectly with an Apex extractor, oem loaded bearing w/o LCI & oem plunger spring. i honestly think now that all i needed to remedy the BTF issue is to swap out the loaded bearing to the one w/o LCI.

the g3 has been perfect since day 1.

i definitely prefer the grip & the finish of my g4. it's easier to rack the slide on the g4 but recoil seems no different to me. i'm happy with both.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    I had my fair share of Gen4 problem, but still loves it. My Gen3 however, ran flawlessly, most of the failure on my Gen3 was due to the shooter.

Things to look for - very unlikely it will happen if you buy new Gen4 now.

First batch of Gen4 - shipped with bad dual recoil spring, was made by 3rd party and was not build to glock standard. It was replaced by glock. I believe the correct spring is 0-2-4 for G17, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Trigger bar notch - earlier model of Gen4 has a notch on the tip of trigger bar, it creates contact with the slide and cause additional friction - it will show a abraision on the slide and made your trigger felt heavier. It also came with a smooth trigger face, rather than serration trigger face.

The newer batch of gen4 is shipped with a frame that will accept glock made beavertail. It will click into place so it will not have play. Mine however was the earlier glock so the beavertail had a play in it, which felt insecure like it can snap off......

Glock is not super friendly on surpressor, gas will come out all over the place since the parts tolrence is low. It works, but will spread lube all over you

Now, the spring was an error, but the other items are inperfections IMO, not flaws! The Gen4 would still function beautifully but it left room to improve. I believe the Gen4 was made in 2012 and on had corrected all that (maybe off for a few months). If you buy one thats made now, it will be just fine!

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    considering it has been 3 years since the gen 4's came out it might be helpful if people post their 3 letter serial prefix so we can track what guns are working and what guns have issues . for ex. MUL=g17, feb 2009

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom