• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    OkieDokie,
    I posted this over on ARFCOM, but I thought I'd post it here since more information is more betterer..So I remember hearing about troubles with the Gen4. Have these issues been resolved or are they still prevalent? Other than the backstraps are there any benefits to the Gen4 over Gen3? I'm looking at getting a G34, but I'm not sure which generation to go for.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I heard plenty about the troubles with the Gen4's before I purchased one. After handling both the Gen 3 and Gen 4, I like the grip better on the 4 because my hands sweat a lot. After over 1,000 rounds of various ammo (no steel) I haven't had a single failure.

My opinion, get the one that fits you better. You can't go wrong with either one and the voice of owners who aren't happy always seems to be exaggerated on the internet. Not as many people are posting how great the Gen4's are even when they haven't had any problems. I haven't had a single problem and this is my first post about my Gen4 19.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    G17 Gen 4 purchased last fall. No problems, GTG. I like the fact it comes with 3 mags, the enhanced mag release and I like the grip texture better than the Gen 3.

YMMV. Hold both and see what you like better. No bugs with the current models and Glock will make it right if, for some reason, you got a hold of a dealers NOS.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It really depends.

Sometimes you get one that works great...other times you get one that has issues. From what I have gathered you will see less issues with the 3rd gen.

I have no issues with my 3rd gen Glock 19 and purchased is about a year ago. It fits my hand perfectly and the grip is great.

I chose the 3rd gen because it is a proven platform. I don't see any reason to have a dual spring setup. I have used both and don't feel a difference. You also have more options with spare parts for the 3rd gen.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have g34 gen 4 . No issues at all. Bought the beginning of the year and prolly 2k plus rounds through it.

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    The Gen 4's had a recall on the recoil spring assembly for all Gen4s sold before July 22, 2011. I got the RSA replaced in my Glock 17, but my 22 did not have the problem. I don't think the 26's and 27's needed the replacement. Call 1-877-745-8523 with your serial number and model number and they will tell you if it should be replaced.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have two gen 4's and both work flawlessly. just bought another one but haven't shot it yet. would not have bought this if I had any doubts.

backstraps aren't a big deal to me, but the "stippling" on the gen 4's gives me a way better grip than the smoother grips on the prior versions. i'm not good enough to tell if the dual recoil spring is better than the prior versions. grip is my only reason for the gen 4s.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    I believe most of the issues of the earlier Gen 4's have been "resolved". Meaning, the issues aren't resulting in failures as they once were. However, I still would not say the reliability and consistency of the Gen4's are up to par with the Gen3's. But that's just my personal opinion.

johny357

Sep 7, 2009
    I have around 500 through my 21 Gen 4 with no malfunctions. Although, it does fling brass straight back into my face with target ammo.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They still have BTF Issues but so do some Gen 3's. The difference is I can acquire parts and Barrels for Gen 3's from a broader source of places than Gen 4's. Some Glock Fanboys will deny it though. I own 3 glocks (Gen 3's) but I can admit their shortcomings.

Gen 4's have different internals too so be aware of that.

The Gen 4 Recoil System is a downgrade IMHO. It also is not a Suppressor friendly IMHO compared to Gen 1-3's

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    Just bought a G19 Gen 4 but will have to get back to you in a few months when I can actually have. Maryland Blows

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I had issues with my G19 Gen4. Brass all over the place. FTEs. Etc. Sent to back to Glock, they found nothing. Sent it back again and asked for a replacement and they sent me one. Waiting to get my replacement G19 back from the FFL. I'll let you know.

FWIW, my buddy has a G19 Gen4 and has the same problems. I told him to send it back.

As others have said...some Gen4s run flawless. But just like anything in life, you will always have a few lemons. But Glock has been good about service...so I can't complain.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    My g19 gen 4 has been great. I like it so much I bought another one (its been in jail for 3 weeks so far). Only 3k ish through it though.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    They still have BTF Issues but so do some Gen 3's. The difference is I can acquire parts and Barrels for Gen 3's from a broader source of places than Gen 4's. Some Glock Fanboys will deny it though. I own 3 glocks (Gen 3's) but I can admit their shortcomings.

Gen 4's have different internals too so be aware of that.

The Gen 4 Recoil System is a downgrade IMHO. It also is not a Suppressor friendly IMHO compared to Gen 1-3's

Cool thanks for the input. Are none of the internals compatible between Gen3 and 4? What about the gen4 recoil system is a downgrade?
    Thanks

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Cool thanks for the input. Are none of the internals compatible between Gen3 and 4? What about the gen4 recoil system is a downgrade?
    Thanks

Trigger and Trigger Bar is the same if my memory serves me right on Gen3 and 4. I cant recall if the locking block, or Slide Stop is different but the FCG Pack is different.

The recoil assemblies still self destruct (Not as often) and they just wont run as well with a can as the std Gen 1-3 recoil assembly in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom