• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    My wife shot a glock 23 and loved it, I do not really care for the 40 S$W round much. I already have 2 92 FS (m9 stock and custom 92SF) handguns and all the reloading stuff for the 9mm so I am thinking about getting the glock 19.
    The other day I was looking at both the 19 and 23 and they look to be just the same but the caliber, This got me thinking that this may be I can get a 19 and then just buy a 23 slide, barrel and magazines and be able to switch back and forth.

Does anyone know If i can just switch out the slide and barrel and be good to go. I have done this with the 92FS and made it into a 96.

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    all you need is to buy a 23 and a lone wolf conversion barrel and the mags. I have done that with my 22 and 27. both shoot well and I have had no failures with over 1500 rounds of cheap Federal through them

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Conversly, you can buy a 19, and get the 40S&W conversion barrel from Lone Wolf as well. The two share the same frame. Personally, I see no need for the 40 S&W if you have a 19, it's fine just as it is. I don't think you'll actually swap the barrel that often in real life.

-Jim

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Conversly, you can buy a 19, and get the 40S&W conversion barrel from Lone Wolf as well. The two share the same frame. Personally, I see no need for the 40 S&W if you have a 19, it's fine just as it is. I don't think you'll actually swap the barrel that often in real life.

-Jim

It only works moving down a caliber. The 40 barrel doesn't fit in a 9mm slide.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The 23 is more expensive to feed. I have a 23, and feel that I probably should have gotten a 19.

jake12

May 18, 2010

-Jim

Not sure that it works that way as the .40 has a larger bore than the 9. I am running a 9 mm conversion on my G23 gen 4 and love it.

I've actually shot more 9 than .40 through it without any issues. I regularly use it for idpa and training classes.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Not sure that it works that way as the .40 has a larger bore than the 9. I am running a 9 mm conversion on my G23 gen 4 and love it.

I've actually shot more 9 than .40 through it without any issues. I regularly use it for idpa and training classes.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

It's the hole in the face of the slide that makes a 40 barrel not work in a 9mm slide.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I heard the 23 has an unsupported head and leaves a slight bulge in the brass, requiring a special die to remove the bulge before reloading
    Is this true for the 19?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I heard the 23 has an unsupported head and leaves a slight bulge in the brass, requiring a special die to remove the bulge before reloading
    Is this true for the 19?

Dunno if it is true for the 19, but the chamber in the 23 is NOT fully supported. Do not shoot +P or unknown reloads in it, or you run the risk of a kaboom.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Get the 19... Screw the 23

This is likely the most reliable combat handgun ever made. It is correct in proportion, balance, weight and controllability.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Since the glock has fixed sights does anyone know what bullet weight and velocity it is set for and what range?

What is the best place to find a 19 and parts for it?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    It only works moving down a caliber. The 40 barrel doesn't fit in a 9mm slide.
    Right you are, thanks for the correction.

So, you'd have to get the slide to go along with the barrel to go from 9mm to 40.

My recommendation of forgetting the .40 still stands though.

-Jim

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Get the 19... Screw the 23

This is likely the most reliable combat handgun ever made. It is correct in proportion, balance, weight and controllability.

Agree completely. If she liked the 23, she'll love the quicker followups, reduced recoil, and cheaper practice ammo.

Since the glock has fixed sights does anyone know what bullet weight and velocity it is set for and what range?

The best thing to do with the standard glock sights is throw them away. Pick up a set of warren-sevigny's, defoors, or several others and move on.

Check with MS's Industry partners first. I'm sure they can handle whatever you need, locally.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Get the 19! Not a big fan of the .40 round and for your intended purpose the 19 will do just fine.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

Aimsurplus has a good sale goin on Glocks.. comes with extra mags.

I think the 19 ( or most 9mm pistols) is factory zeroed at 25 yards. using 115-125 grain FMJ.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Get the 19! Not a big fan of the .40 round and for your intended purpose the 19 will do just fine.

Agreed!

since shot placement beats bigger caliber anyday..the 19 with its mild recoil will be easier to shoot, faster to follow-up with. It will also feed cheap steel cased ammo all day. That makes practice a bit more affordable.

If I had a choice of of just owning one handgun.. The Glock 19 and Glock 34 are tied for first choice. Its just..that good:)

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Get the 19! You, and your wife, will love it! There's a reason why its arguably the most popular Glock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom