• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe the deer are moving between 9 & 11 because of the late risers driving them. I’m in the group of be in your stand an hour before shooting time.
    Me too. Beyond that though, unless you are still hunting them, if you are getting in to the woods and setting up as they are starting to move around, you are more likely to have “missed” them if you are setting up on a travel corridor, or bump them as they are moving if you know where they are bedding and you are setting up nearby, or you bump them well before dawn and they’ve had a chance to settle down a couple of hours later.

I say whatever works for you. Most of my success has been on my small rural residential property. Only been hunting it 4 seasons and 8 seasons of hunting total for me. Low 20s for number of deer between all those seasons.

I’ve killed two does mid-day. I’ve had and flubbed opportunities on a couple of nice bucks still hunting mid-day in greenridge. And bumped a large number of deer that I had no chance on unless I wanted to shoot them on the run, mid-day. And I’ve passed on a few deer mid-day.

About 70% of the deer I’ve killed have been in a late afternoon/evening sit (after 4pm) with most of those probably within an hour of sunset.

The 30% I’ve killed in the morning, about half were before sunrise. The other half were after sunrise and before 9am.

Now a bit of that is timing. Since I work from home the last few years and I can hunt my back/side yard, I sometimes get out there the moment I am done with work. I am not getting out there real early to hunt for an hour before starting work. So my time in the woods or the stand. Is less equally split. I probably have as many hours just doing 3pm to half an hour past sunset (or longer if I am treed in the dark by a bunch of deer I didn’t want to shoot who won’t leave) as I do pre-dawn till I kill a deer in the morning plus all day sits.

When I am out hunting public land. 75% have been late day harvests, 15% morning harvests, 10% mid-day harvests.

Just based on game camera photos, through my property, late summer through late October it is almost all early morning and evening movement. Very little between 8am and 5pm. November it is still heavier in early morning and evening, but a lot more daytime movement. Mid December through early February it is generally morning or at night. Though more daytime movement than early summer and early fall. Evening movement is rare. Like I might get some deer through before 8:30am in late December 6 days a week, 3-4 days a week someone(s) will come through after 8:30am and before 3pm, maybe twice a week someone comes through after 3pm and before last light. And 6-7 days a week deer coming through from around 7pm till 1am.

So for the morning around my property, it isn’t worthless to get in my stand at 8am, but 50/50 I’ve already missed the deer that are coming through or I’ll be busted because they bedded down nearby or if they are walking through as I am getting in my stand. A few times I’ve gotten in my stand 30-40 minutes before first light to find a deer bedded down 60-70yds away once it gets light enough to see. So far I’ve been busted zero times (that I have heard or seen) getting in my stand half an hour before first shooting light.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I hear ya there, Mr Clown.

I used to say I knew my friend's Harford county farm well enough, that I could almost predict the deer showing up. In the evening, first I would hear the geese fly over, then I would see a fox. NEXT the deer would begin to appear.

I still remember sitting at the edge of where the field is lined by some woods on all sides. This one fox came up within 40-50 feet of me sitting on the ground.
    Other than seeing or shooting deer, that is my next most favorite thing about sitting in my stand on my property. We have a lot of foxes in my area. Usually I’ll see at least a couple. I’ve had them walk right under my stand and look up and do that “ruh rooh Shaggy!” Expression and run off.

But yeah. After 4 seasons, I’ve got my property pretty well figured out. I generally know when during the season and with what weather the deer are likely showing. Always surprises for sure. Sometimes happy ones. I also know during the time of day which direction the deer are likely to be coming from (less right there).

As Ed and a couple of others have said, I am out there to enjoy nature too. Can’t always get that as I am in a neighborhood. Sometimes it’s my neighbors’ mowers droning most of the day in the early season or my neighbor leaf blowing his acre back yard 100yds away for two hours in the late afternoon as I figure he is chasing every deer for a mile away (often enough he’ll stop at 4pm and at 5pm deer start flitting into the woods in visual range).

It isn’t heaven per se, but much if it is mine. And it is the woods, which I love. And I still get to hear and see the birds, fox, raccoon and possum sometimes, deer many days. Sometimes a treat like a heron walking the creek looking for frogs and fish. It’s a lot nicer than sitting in my house sleeping in, watching TV, or arguing on the internet.

And if the goal is to harvest a deer, the fewer hours you are in the woods, the less likely you are to do that no matter how you slice it. If I am on public land, I stay in the woods all day with only a few exceptions. I usually still hunting during the day, so sometimes that takes me by my car and I might sit for 10-15 minutes while I drink some water, eat a snack/lunch, and rest my back. Or if I am moving between locations and need to drive. Some public land a spot can just get lousy with hunters and no point in staying. Or I know some spots are more likely to get deer in the morning and some more likely to get deer in the evening. Then it’s still hunt back to the car and relocate.

The only time I am not hunting is if I am in my car or it’s not legal (time/safety zone). Otherwise I still hunt my way wherever the heck I go. I know a few guys where, it’s lunchtime. So they are just walking out. Even guys who have busted deer doing that many times. One of the two deer I shot mid day way still hunting my way out of the woods towards my car because my hunting buddy was calling it a day and I was going to relocate for an evening sit. Not a chance if I’d just grabbed my muzzleloader and pack and walked out.

If I am at my property, well I am about 50yds from my stand. If I need to pee, I just water the woods but if I need to take a crap, I am waiting as long as I can and then I am going inside to use one of of man’s best creations. A toilet. Public land, not doing that. Also if on my property I will generally head in somewhere around 10 or 11am for a short bit. Usually about 30 minutes. Stretch my legs a little since I was probably in my stand starting around 6-7am. Maybe clean the kitchen a bit so my wife can’t try to claim I did nothing but sleep in a tree all day. Grab an early lunch and toss a snack bar or two in my pocket for the late afternoon and freshen up my coffee thermos. Also for the late afternoon. Not always, but usually I do that for an all day sit on my property. Based on the MkI eyeball and game cameras in 4 years and probably 15-20 all day sits where I’ve done that I’ve missed deer 3 times that I can remember. One was bedded for hours and I didn’t notice it 60 away and it bolted when I started getting out of my stand (it didn’t when I stood to pee twice earlier in the morning). Once so busted a doe getting back in my stand. And a last time I had a couple does on my game camera that passed by in that half hour I was inside.

Last edited:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Not able to hunt these days because of health issues, but in the old days during deer season I would be in the woods at least an hour before daylight, and stayed in my ground blind until dusk. The only time I left early was after shooting a buck.
    Being properly prepared with everything needed to keep warm, dry, hydrated, and energized took a lot of planning, but rewarded me with a nice buck most years.
    Sometimes, other hunters coming into the woods after daylight would push deer and result in an early morning harvest for me.
    Most of my bucks were taken before 11:00 A.M.
    Weather plays a big role in deer movement. Some days they move a lot, some days they don't.
    Know the area, and hunt accordingly. Private land is nothing like public land when it comes to hunting.
    What did you typically bring with you to stay comfortable in terms of food, drink and anything else? If you don't mind sharing...how did you deal with nature calling on such a long sit?

A few years ago I started going to bed at 9-10pm waking up at 5am 365 days/year so that I could do my favorite things every day (exercising and hunting/fishing) without fail and without feeling tired. Obviously there is some variation to the bed time side and occasionally I don't get up on time if I had to work late or something, but I've found that life schedule rhythm helps me enjoy my time a lot more. There is nothing more spectacular than watching the woods wake up. So if I'm taking time away from family/work to go deer hunting, you can bet I'll be in the stand and quiet 30min or more before shooting time. I shot my best Maryland buck 3 years ago on Halloween morning at 8am. I've found the absolute best thing I can do to help me stay still and on stand as long as possible is to bring a book to read.

I agree with the others that there are no hard and fast rules. I also go deer hunting in particular for the serenity and quiet it affords me as much as the excitement and great food I get from shooting deer. Weather, time of year/daylight times, rut status, and more affects their movement. I sure have never killed one sitting on the couch or at the office, so I'd rather just be up early and ready to go. That said, if I had to choose between being in the stand at 8-11 or 11-2 during the rut, I'd go for the midday shift most of the time. Early season, I want to be on stand at dawn for sure.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    This would explain why when I try to get in an early morning hunt and get home midmorning to do chores and whatnot I'm greeted by half a dozen deer in my yard after seeing zero during the hunt.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Alot depends on the area you hunt and the pressure it gets etc. I've pretty much hunted either a Christmas tree farm or ag farms. 75% of my hunts are typically evening hunts (last 2-3 hours of daylight) so I catch deer coming out to feed in the fields, etc. I keep a log of all my hunts/harvest, etc. Of the 44 deer I've harvested, 18 were in the morning. 13 of those were between 9-11am (3 a little after 7am, and 2 from 11am-noon). Of the 26 that were harvested in the evening I'd bet 90% of them were shot in the last 1/2 hr to hr of daylight. When I do a morning hunt I try and get setup during the "gray" light period, but I usually don't see to much action it seems like until 8:30 or so.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    What did you typically bring with you to stay comfortable in terms of food, drink and anything else? If you don't mind sharing...how did you deal with nature calling on such a long sit?

A few years ago I started going to bed at 9-10pm waking up at 5am 365 days/year so that I could do my favorite things every day (exercising and hunting/fishing) without fail and without feeling tired. Obviously there is some variation to the bed time side and occasionally I don't get up on time if I had to work late or something, but I've found that life schedule rhythm helps me enjoy my time a lot more. There is nothing more spectacular than watching the woods wake up. So if I'm taking time away from family/work to go deer hunting, you can bet I'll be in the stand and quiet 30min or more before shooting time. I shot my best Maryland buck 3 years ago on Halloween morning at 8am. I've found the absolute best thing I can do to help me stay still and on stand as long as possible is to bring a book to read.

I agree with the others that there are no hard and fast rules. I also go deer hunting in particular for the serenity and quiet it affords me as much as the excitement and great food I get from shooting deer. Weather, time of year/daylight times, rut status, and more affects their movement. I sure have never killed one sitting on the couch or at the office, so I'd rather just be up early and ready to go. That said, if I had to choose between being in the stand at 8-11 or 11-2 during the rut, I'd go for the midday shift most of the time. Early season, I want to be on stand at dawn for sure.
    My backpack contained a thermos of coffee, some canned juices, a couple of sandwiches, a Sterno stove, canned soup or stew, WWII mess kit, toilet paper, extra socks, a poncho, a seater heater, hand warmers, and everything needed to prepare a deer for dragging. Many times, a couple of calls and a set of rattling antlers could also be found in there.

On several occasions, it seemed like deer walked in to see what was cooking.

On private land in W. Va., my ground blind would be set up weeks before using natural items from the forest floor. It would be large enough for me to comfortable move around without making noise and all leaf litter removed. Sometimes I would build it enclosed, but most times just a barrier high enough for me to sit and see all around.

Urinating into a small hole dug into the lowest point of the blind worked for me. It drained away quickly and the hole could be used all day. Throwing a little fresh dirt in after use kept the odor down. If I needed to do more, a short walk was in order and another hole needed to be dug and well covered after use.

Use of attractants in the area seemed to be helpful at covering any scents that I left, too.

Never needed a book. Watching and listening to life in the woods kept my attention and never got boring.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The only time I would worry about getting in the woods too early is when and if I had to walk through was the field where the deer I was hunting fed in. That, I would try to avoid.

During the rut, the bucks will usually bed down just before first light and get back on their feet around 9 am. Unless your plan is to still hunt, that would be a foolish time to be bumbling through the woods to your stand or blind IMO.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The only time I would worry about getting in the woods too early is when and if I had to walk through was the field where the deer I was hunting fed in. That, I would try to avoid.

During the rut, the bucks will usually bed down just before first light and get back on their feet around 9 am. Unless your plan is to still hunt, that would be a foolish time to be bumbling through the woods to your stand or blind IMO.
    I'm always in my stand 30 minute before sunrise and 30 minutes after so I can shoot the whole day. That's the way our group has always hunted. Some of the guys will get down around 11 for lunch/bathroom and get back in the stand around 2 for the dusk movement. Honestly they do keep to a pattern in movement when they aren't being shot at, then it's a free for all. There are 4 farms next to the one I hunt on. Some of the other places will do a push to move the deer which changes their normal routine. It really all depends. Different strokes for different folks. 8-9 is usually pretty active where I am, then dead from 11-2 then picks up after that. I have seen a ton of deer come out just before dark to graze in the fields. Those are the worst, if you have to track it in the dark es no bueno.

UNCLE PAULY

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Aug 5, 2013
    Spent 25 + years deer hunting in a private hunting club on Md eastern shore with 9 properties totaling 3000 acres.

First few years I would get into the woods by 5:00 am and staying all day until sunset. Could hear deer while dark but gun wasn’t loaded until legal sunrise. Even at sunrise in the thick woods it might be difficult to see clearly enough to safely shoot. The deers I took were between 10:00 and 1:00.

By the the last five year’s hunting in this club, my closest friends and I would wait until 3:00 pm before going out to hunt. Limiting our time to under 3 hours we still have plenty of deers to pick and choose from. We joked, calling ourselves gentlemen hunters.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I've never heard a squirrel in the dark...
    A few years back, I was on the hike in about 1.5 hours before dawn. Stopped to spray nature's business on a tree but was looking away at first (my wife hunted at the time and I recall she was asking a question). Looked forward and there was a flying squirrel about a foot above my head on the trunk I was urinating on. I never heard it, but the awkwardness between the squirrel and me was apparent for the next 30 seconds or so until I started stepping back up the trail.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm always in my stand 30 minute before sunrise and 30 minutes after so I can shoot the whole day. That's the way our group has always hunted. Some of the guys will get down around 11 for lunch/bathroom and get back in the stand around 2 for the dusk movement. Honestly they do keep to a pattern in movement when they aren't being shot at, then it's a free for all. There are 4 farms next to the one I hunt on. Some of the other places will do a push to move the deer which changes their normal routine. It really all depends. Different strokes for different folks. 8-9 is usually pretty active where I am, then dead from 11-2 then picks up after that. I have seen a ton of deer come out just before dark to graze in the fields. Those are the worst, if you have to track it in the dark es no bueno.
    That's pretty much me too. As far as bathroom breaks go, piss is piss. Deer don't care. I once had to come down(99% of my hunting is from my climber) for an emergency dump. I came down, walked across a small back field I was hunting the edge of for evening rut action, ducked inside a little pine thicket and did my business. A little later, three does and a 2 year old buck chased around that field and all finally settled into grazing on the orchard grass... 5 yards down wind of where an hour before, I had relieved myself. They couldn't have cared less.

I'm usually there for the duration, dark to dark. Often times, on my old farm, I would move from my morning set to a more evening appropriate set. That's climbing down one tree(usually around 11 am), stalking to another tree, and straight back up until nightfall. I always pack a lunch and snacks. I will take combat naps throughout the day.

I am not big on pushing deer. I don't want the deer know I am in the woods, ever. On my "old farm", I was the only one hunting it. I tried to keep the deer to their normal routines. Sometimes, contact is unavoidable and I would try and keep it as low impact as possible. Sneak in and sneak out.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    The woods are often the only place I can get in some quality sleep. The snoring that occurs at hunt camp is epic, even with earplugs.

I am often first one up, throw a few logs in the fireplace and start the coffee. If feeling nice, Ill start breakfast.

Heading into the pitch black, bear infested woods of SW VA is a sensory thrill. Settling into place and hearing the various sounds and watching the sunlight show up is awesome.

Around 10 I'll get antsy and start walking, as Outrider said, face into the wind. Often will stand on top of a cut off stump, silently watching for movement. There was a recent select cut on the property so plenty of spots to do that.

If I know it will be a full day hunt, I'll bring a small hammock and saw some logs. Wake up around 2 or 3 and walk til an hour or so before dusk. I'll then sit still over a field or a good funnel.

Can't wait!

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Most of the deer I shoot are at first light on this property. Another, 10a-1p. Another it was 2:30p til dark

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    A piss bottle, 4 peanut style chewy bars, a water/Gatorade, and some gummies is all I need for an all day sit. in the woods 1 hour before light on some places but down to one spot and it has more activity in the evenings so now a days I pretty much go in mid day ish and sit till dark.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A piss bottle, 4 peanut style chewy bars, a water/Gatorade, and some gummies is all I need for an all day sit. in the woods 1 hour before light on some places but down to one spot and it has more activity in the evenings so now a days I pretty much go in mid day ish and sit till dark.
    Really, you don't need a piss bottle. Deer don't care. :)

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Really, you don't need a piss bottle. Deer don't care. :)
    Last winter I had to go real bad. The only thing that cared was the dude hunting the adjacent property who had no idea I was there until he heard the stream hitting the leaves. I shot a deer 15 minutes later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom