• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The woods are often the only place I can get in some quality sleep. The snoring that occurs at hunt camp is epic, even with earplugs.

I am often first one up, throw a few logs in the fireplace and start the coffee. If feeling nice, Ill start breakfast.

Heading into the pitch black, bear infested woods of SW VA is a sensory thrill. Settling into place and hearing the various sounds and watching the sunlight show up is awesome.

Around 10 I'll get antsy and start walking, as Outrider said, face into the wind. Often will stand on top of a cut off stump, silently watching for movement. There was a recent select cut on the property so plenty of spots to do that.

If I know it will be a full day hunt, I'll bring a small hammock and saw some logs. Wake up around 2 or 3 and walk til an hour or so before dusk. I'll then sit still over a field or a good funnel.

Can't wait!
    I loved spot and stalk hunting. With either bow or gun. It's been years since I've had enough property to do that. It does require a good bit of property to where you don't end up running your herds off your property for the season.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I think a lot of timing has to do with your particular area. My property is a transition zone and I can almost set a timer on the deer most of the year. If I'm not in an hour before sunrise, I'm bumping deer.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I loved spot and stalk hunting. With either bow or gun. It's been years since I've had enough property to do that. It does require a good bit of property to where you don't end up running your herds off your property for the season.
    I do as well, I do it often on public, but only on weekdays when there are few hunters in the area. Should add mostly during gun season. Bow season I try to stay put, but sometimes just gotta stretch the legs some.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The deer definitely don't care about peeing. I've watched them grazing grass under my stand 30 minutes after I peed on it.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    There is that. Lol.
    That's when you have to put your faith in your harness and lean way out. Hahaha!
    Hahaha, yea in a ladder no problem but in my climber I’ll pass after a couple wobbly whoa moments, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom