• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Sorry if this is a little long, but here goes. Some of you remember that I had some issues with my neighbors letting their dogs loose in the neighborhood, and having to call animal control over and over and over. Well, things have since escalated.

So we've been having an issue with these guys riding a dirt bike in the common area of neighborhood. They have been asked several times to stop since it is a well maintained area, and it's not their property. Well it got to the point where a few of us in the neighborhood confronted them about it about a month ago, to the point where we had an off duty State Cop involved. The behavior stopped for a while until yesterday.

They were out on the bike again yesterday, doing wheelies up and down the street and tearing up the common area. At one point, the guy lost control of the bike and hit a truck, doing $2500 worth of damage. They (5 of them) all got in their car and ran from the scene. Cops were called, and the guys were found up at 7-11 about half a mile from the house. Turns out, the rider is fresh out of jail after doing 3 years for assault, and on probation. I won't bore you with the rest of that story, just skip ahead to today.

Bike is out again today as soon as I get home from work. I go out, start taking pictures and video and then call the police, not 911, just the district number and explain. Meanwhile, I'm sitting in my yard that adjoins the area they are riding waiting for the police and the guy starts coming towards me, yelling at me, asking me why I was taking pictures. I told him to show the police when they get here and asked him if he noticed the security camera's capturing it all too. He starts getting threatening and called me a "cop callin' cracka" etc etc. I tell him he better stop coming towards me, I have nothing further to say to him. He starts walking away threatening still, asking me why I called the cops, I'm a fool, etc.

Cops get there, I explain what's going on, one cop goes to talk to the guy, the other to me. He explains they can't do anything unless they see it, that the HOA should put up a fence to keep them out of the common area, etc.

I explained what has been going on the past year a half with these people, and he is like, if they threaten you, or are on your property, call 911, if they have a weapon, it's your right to defend yourself (which I thought was odd that he would say that). He starts explaining to me how to write the report, and I quote "Say the guy is 6'3 290 and you are 5'10 160 and he is threatening you with physical violence. Be very descriptive, stretch it a little if you have to, but that will get you a "peace order". I just need a police report or two of him threatening me, and I should be able to get CCW...not the way I want to have it happen, but whatever.

So anyway, I'm back and forth as to whether I did the right thing today, I am sitting here with my wife and son worried about blowback on me, but what am I supposed to do?

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Be careful. You can defend your life, but not your property.

Right, no I laughed him off today, he was obviously trying to provoke me with some of the stuff he was saying, but I just sat there and laughed it off. I mentioned to the officer that I know which one of us would be arrested if he was threatening me and I came out with a shotgun. The officer laughed and said, yeah I wouldn't recommend that, but if he has a weapon, you have a right to defend yourself.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    The best thing for you to do is use the HOA to your advantage. First post no trespassing signs. Check the law because they must be a certain distance apart, certain number of signs, etc. Then use photos and security camera footage to press charges through the HOA.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    I did have an impromptu meeting with the head of our HOA to talk about that. He is all for it and definitely on my side about the whole thing, but he is one of those people that will make me put my neck out in these situations because he talks big, but acts small. His concern is spending money on No Trespassing signs for them to "probably just be pulled out by these people."

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I did have an impromptu meeting with the head of our HOA to talk about that. He is all for it and definitely on my side about the whole thing, but he is one of those people that will make me put my neck out in these situations because he talks big, but acts small. His concern is spending money on No Trespassing signs for them to "probably just be pulled out by these people."

Even better if they pull them out, you just need to prove they were there. It won't be just his say. You will need a board vote. In fact, join the board.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    A few little updates on this whole situation:

Tuesday - Neighbor back on dirt bike, takes it out in to the street, wrecks it in the same exact spot he wrecked it on Sunday. This time there was no vehicle there, but he laid the bike down and went running back to the house. Police show up, look up the VIN, find out the bike is stolen and impound it. Cops can not go in to house without a warrant to get the kid.

Wednesday - Cops come back with warrant, in vests, guns drawn. Kid leaves the house voluntarily and is arrested. Two hours later, it appears whoever is left in the house is moving out. I talked to my neighbor, who had talked to the owner of the home. Turns out that these people are squatters, he doesn't know them, but can't do anything because "they changed the locks" ... to which our response was, BS, call the police, the sheriff will go up there with you to evict them.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Also, the State Policeman that I talked to said the reason these guys leave their pit bulls locked up on the side of the house is to prevent BGE from getting to the meter to turn off the power.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    So can you get a permit since the arrest took place because of you and now these guys know that? You are now a target for future revenge clause?

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    My actions certainly indirectly led to arrest, but I wasn't the direct cause of it. The State Trooper who's parents live across the street from me is the one who called 911 on Tuesday with an "Officer Needs Assistance" which drew the SGT. out to investigate, which has led to the events that followed.

However, it is well know that they hate me, apparently every cop that has come in to the neighborhood hears mention of me from them. So, sure, I guess I am a target for future crimes. It's the reason I have told all my neighbors that I was threatened and to please keep an eye on my wife while I'm at work.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    The problem with these guys, is that they are doing wrong, being suspicious, stealing license plates, etc...and I am the one in the wrong for calling the Police. I hate that, but that is the mentality that their leader is passing down. "This is everyone's fault but mine"

I feel I have been patient for 18 months with these people, and that I have given them every chance by trying to talk to them personally, but all I get is excuses and threats. It's to the point where I don't feel safe in my neighborhood, and I'm going to do something about it, and I have 15 other houses that agree with me (16 total houses in neighborhood).

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    My actions certainly indirectly led to arrest, but I wasn't the direct cause of it. The State Trooper who's parents live across the street from me is the one who called 911 on Tuesday with an "Officer Needs Assistance" which drew the SGT. out to investigate, which has led to the events that followed.

However, it is well know that they hate me, apparently every cop that has come in to the neighborhood hears mention of me from them. So, sure, I guess I am a target for future crimes. It's the reason I have told all my neighbors that I was threatened and to please keep an eye on my wife while I'm at work.

I would suggest you train and arm your wife (if not already done) so she can legally defend herself and children against any threats that may arise while she is at home. Of course, if she leaves the house, with current Maryland law, she is at the mercy of circumstances.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    I would suggest you train and arm your wife (if not already done) so she can legally defend herself and children against any threats that may arise while she is at home. Of course, if she leaves the house, with current Maryland law, she is at the mercy of circumstances.

Yeah, she has been shooting much, much longer than I have. She is actually the reason I ended up getting in to guns. I am not worried about her handling herself in the least, but if she's dealing with the baby in the house during the day, she may not always be as attentive as she should be.

I have trained her well on being alert and aware of surroundings when outside the house and I am impressed with how fast she picked it all up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom