• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which should I get first?

• Total voters

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I didn't include AR because it really just didn't tickle my fancy. I'll probably get one eventually, but it's just not up there on my list compared to a lot of other guns.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I got to foddle a CAI Golani at the range this am. We shot it side by side with a Ruger AC556K ( in semi).
    Both guns performed well. Both ate Tula ammo with no hicups. The Golani was a bit heavy, it handled like an AK with better sights. I really liked the safety and the trigger was not bad. It felt like a Norinco AKM. ( smooth)and It looks GOOD.

I hate it when I read stuff like this. I'm just going to have to get me a Golani ( galil clone) sporter. I still like the mini14s.... but I like the Galil clone better than my AKM. It just made this years short list.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I got to foddle a CAI Golani at the range this am. We shot it side by side with a Ruger AC556K ( in semi).
    Both guns performed well. Both ate Tula ammo with no hicups. The Golani was a bit heavy, it handled like an AK with better sights. I really liked the safety and the trigger was not bad. It felt like a Norinco AKM. ( smooth)and It looks GOOD.

I hate it when I read stuff like this. I'm just going to have to get me a Golani ( galil clone) sporter. I still like the mini14s.... but I like the Galil clone better than my AKM. It just made this years short list.

Make sure to inspect your Golani thoroughly. Although a few were made okay a lot of them were not and have many issues like out-of-spec receivers causing tons of problems, remember it is a Century-build so hope you like your gambling odds. Also the barrels are U.S. made and not IMI so also take that into consideration if you plan on doing a lot of shooting with it in the long run.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    Please stay away from CAI Golani's. I had nothing but problems with mine, and the internet is full of negative stories about them.

I ended up buying a Springfield Armory Galil (built in Israel by IMI). The SA Galil's are less desirable to collector's, so you can get them cheaper, but performance-wise they're the real deal. There really is no comparison to an IMI Galil and a Ruger Mini-14.

Last edited:

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Or, do like I did- look for a used Golani which has already been serviced by Tenngalil. I got one two years ago w/ five 35rds mags, for the same price as regular Golani. It shot very well, although on the heavy side.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    If it is not an original IMI Galil... chances are, you are going to have issues with it.
    Genuine Galils are 3K +, you are better off with a Ruger Mini-14. Both guns use proprietary mags( You can get a Galil AR mag adapter). Ruger mags are great.. aftermarket ones tend to suck. If you can get a Ruger mini in an original Ruger side folding stock.. you will have one of the nicest looking carbine at the range.

This^

I bought one of the clones and it was a POS. Sold it at a loss to get away from it!!

I would recommend an AR. After taking Bill P's carbine course a few years ago, and was able to hit steel out to 600 yards (with optics) I knew I made the right choice.

Good Luck

Jerry

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    Or, do like I did- look for a used Golani which has already been serviced by Tenngalil.

I bought a Golani off of a friend, test fired it and everything, and I had MASSIVE problems with it after I bought it. It went back to TennGalil two times, and still wasn't "right". TennGalil could not fix it, yes, it was that bad.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    This^

I bought one of the clones and it was a POS. Sold it at a loss to get away from it!!

I would recommend an AR. After taking Bill P's carbine course a few years ago, and was able to hit steel out to 600 yards (with optics) I knew I made the right choice.

Good Luck

Jerry

Not exactly true. I bought my genuine IMI Galil for either $1500 or $1600 last year, NIB. It's a Springfield, but you can get Action Arms or Magnum Research ones for slightly over $2,000.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Not exactly true. I bought my genuine IMI Galil for either $1500 or $1600 last year, NIB. It's a Springfield, but you can get Action Arms or Magnum Research ones for slightly over $2,000.

An IMI is an original, they may have been imported by different companies, but you said the magic word 'genuine'. The previous experience I had, which made me want to buy one, was with the original IMI, which was great, the clone not so much.

Good luck

Jerry

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    An IMI is an original, they may have been imported by different companies, but you said the magic word 'genuine'. The previous experience I had, which made me want to buy one, was with the original IMI, which was great, the clone not so much.

Good luck

Jerry

Yeah, I think the Century Golani's give Galil's in general a bad reputation. The IMI built Galil's are wonderful.

IMI, now IWI, is setting up shop in the US to manufacturer and market the following guns: Tavor, ACE, Negev (for law enforcement), UZI and a few others starting in 2014, so let's keep our fingers crossed :party29:

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Yeah, I think the Century Golani's give Galil's in general a bad reputation. The IMI built Galil's are wonderful.

IMI, now IWI, is setting up shop in the US to manufacturer and market the following guns: Tavor, ACE, Negev (for law enforcement), UZI and a few others starting in 2014, so let's keep our fingers crossed :party29:

This!!!

DSCN1912.jpg

DSCN1906.jpg

http://youtu.be/N9WJkkNrdX8

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have a Golani, but have never shot it next to a Mini. Mine has been 100% out of the box, no issues, but like many Century builds it is not as nice as a factory original.

I like it, but I like ARs and even my Bulgarian 5.56 AK sidefolder better. It's a bit more accurate than the AK, but not as accurate as the AR, and a LOT heavier than either. My favorite 5.56 is probably the butt-ugly Keltech SU-16C which is incredibly light and handy, and very reliable.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Not true. There is one thing a Mini-14 does exceptionally better than an AR; function. My mini has never failed in anyway. In the 3 years I've had it, it has always gone bang. My AR on the other hand has already had a couple failures in less than 500rds. Also it doesn't need to be pampered with constant lube and cleaning like an AR. Now while the AR is better for target accuracy, in terms of combat accuracy out to 100yds I'd say they are both plenty effective.

Not to jump your shit or anything so please don't take this the wrong way...

There's something wrong with your AR or your mags or whatever ammo you're running. "A couple failures in less than 500rds" is unacceptable, abnormal and uncharacteristic of a well built AR system. You should narrow down the failures and/or have a good smith take a look at it.

I have two AR15s that I actively use. Neither has had a failure of any sort, ever since I've had them. I built both lowers, one upper was purchased new assembled and the other upper (11.5") was purchased used with heavy wear with original owner being a SWAT team or something. I've sent right around 4k rounds downrange this year between those two with the used SBR lower getting the brunt of the load. Like I said, neither has had any problems at all.

To possibly add insult to injury, I don't really believe in cleaning them much. They get oiled every 1k rounds or so with Amsoil 15w40 since it's available because my diesel truck takes it. That oil lasts a LONG LONG time in/on/around the BGC.

Get your AR looked at. No point in owning junk.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Not to jump your shit or anything so please don't take this the wrong way...

There's something wrong with your AR or your mags or whatever ammo you're running. "A couple failures in less than 500rds" is unacceptable, abnormal and uncharacteristic of a well built AR system. You should narrow down the failures and/or have a good smith take a look at it.

I have two AR15s that I actively use. Neither has had a failure of any sort, ever since I've had them. I built both lowers, one upper was purchased new assembled and the other upper (11.5") was purchased used with heavy wear with original owner being a SWAT team or something. I've sent right around 4k rounds downrange this year between those two with the used SBR lower getting the brunt of the load. Like I said, neither has had any problems at all.

To possibly add insult to injury, I don't really believe in cleaning them much. They get oiled every 1k rounds or so with Amsoil 15w40 since it's available because my diesel truck takes it. That oil lasts a LONG LONG time in/on/around the BGC.

Get your AR looked at. No point in owning junk.

I ain't stupid. I know it ain't normal and I found and fixed the problem. My hammer spring was in upside down (I put it in that way when I built the lower but it still passes basic function checks that way). While the rifle while the rifle functioned, the trigger pin walked out, causing malfunctions. My point was, the mini-14 has no such potential for pins to come out and crap. The mini is just easier to assemble and strip. Fewer little parts to fail. Since correcting the problem I've had one failure; a case got stuck half way out of the chamber after a couple quick mag dumps. My AR is now otherwise as rock solid as my Mini.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I ain't stupid. I know it ain't normal and I found and fixed the problem. My hammer spring was in upside down (I put it in that way when I built the lower but it still passes basic function checks that way). While the rifle while the rifle functioned, the trigger pin walked out, causing malfunctions. My point was, the mini-14 has no such potential for pins to come out and crap. The mini is just easier to assemble and strip. Fewer little parts to fail. Since correcting the problem I've had one failure; a case got stuck half way out of the chamber after a couple quick mag dumps. My AR is now otherwise as rock solid as my Mini.

Good to hear. :)

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly

I'd love to get me an ACE (in 7.62x39 and 5.56). Can't wait for them to move here :D.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    i voted mini 14...not much of a fan of the galil ill be honest...pretty much for the same reason i am not a fan of the older AK (even though their far sexier than the galils)...the milled receivers are just overkill...and the rifle suffers from a practical standpoint as a result.

i am also not a fan of the whole..."we want to use the AK but we dont want to be seen with it so lets make our own knock off" stuff...

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    In 1984 the Ruger Mini-14 was pitted against the Galil and a bunch of other rifles for cold weather testing by the Alaska State Troopers. The winner of the test was the Galil, with runner's up being the Valmet and FNC, here's the article: http://www.scribd.com/doc/41981935/SWAT-Extreme-Cold-Weather-Test

Now, I know this is only cold weather stuff, but I would venture a guess the Galil, or any AK pattern rifle for that matter, would do admirably in dry desert sand conditions as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom