• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which should I get first?

• Total voters

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Not trying to spark a giant debate, but just curious. I think I'll get something in 5.56 eventually, but just don't have the desire for an ar. Dont really plan on going wild with aftermarket nonsense, but might do an optic due to poor eyesight.

I hear a lot of positives for the mini, and people talking of building galils, and both interest me.

I'll probably get both eventually, but how about some votes for which first?

Maybe worth mentioning, but I usually shoot a saiga, which I'll be converting soon, so perhaps something could be said for familiar manual of arms...

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Not trying to spark a giant debate, but just curious. I think I'll get something in 5.56 eventually, but just don't have the desire for an ar. Dont really plan on going wild with aftermarket nonsense, but might do an optic due to poor eyesight.

I hear a lot of positives for the mini, and people talking of building galils, and both interest me.

Maybe worth mentioning, but I usually shoot a saiga, which I'll be converting soon, so perhaps something could be said for familiar manual of arms...

I have had alot of Saiga and loved them the cheap route is a Mini around 600 bucks the expensive route would be a galil SAR kit from apex made on a cnc warrior receiver made by tangalil I wanted a micro for a long time but the parts kit alone was as much as 3-4 saiga's lol

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Ive never messed with a Galil but I have a few Minis and love them , never had a problem out of them and they eat any ammo Ive put in them .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm one of those Galil builders. Let me give you my opinion.

Building a Galil properly is expensive. The parts kit is $300, the receiver is $400, a barrel worth using is ~$175, Tapco G2 for $25, and build costs will run you $300-$500 (FYI, Tenngalil is nearer to the top of that scale). This route is probably going to run you closer to $1400, and even more if you care about working night sights, AR adapter, lightening cuts, engraving, or want a different handguard. Want an SAR or an ARM? You're probably going to run straight to $1800-$2000 by the end of the project. Now, mind you, you're going to have one of the best built Galils on earth, better in most respects than the IMI originals. But this is not the cheap route. It's a lot cheaper to go with a Golani and then send it to TennGalil for fixing, but at the end of the day, it's still a Golani, it still has a mediocre barrel and a questionable receiver.

You mentioned optics. The optic situation on Galils is not great. The PRI scope mount sits real high. The FAB Defense handguard sits far forward and is plastic/polymer, but most people find it tough enough for serious use. And, of course, there's the MI rail, which is aluminum but more expensive. I am not mounting an optic to my Galil SAR.

Now, Mini-14s... I know that Lou was selling nice Mini-14s for like $450. Buy one of those, slap a Troy chassis on it (the complete one with sights), and you've got a pretty sexy weapons system for ~$1100. It also gives you a full rail to mount optics up on. IMHO, for the "I must have a piston in my AR" crowd, it's worth a look. The magazine situation is less than optimal, though; no super-cheap pmags for it.

To be perfectly honest, though, if you need optics and 5.56, I'd stick with an AR-15. It's cheaper, and in many ways, better. Sure, it's a cliche... but there's a reason so many people own them.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I'm one of those Galil builders. Let me give you my opinion.

Building a Galil properly is expensive. The parts kit is $300, the receiver is $400, a barrel worth using is ~$175, Tapco G2 for $25, and build costs will run you $300-$500 (FYI, Tenngalil is nearer to the top of that scale). This route is probably going to run you closer to $1400, and even more if you care about working night sights, AR adapter, lightening cuts, engraving, or want a different handguard. Want an SAR or an ARM? You're probably going to run straight to $1800-$2000 by the end of the project. Now, mind you, you're going to have one of the best built Galils on earth, better in most respects than the IMI originals. But this is not the cheap route. It's a lot cheaper to go with a Golani and then send it to TennGalil for fixing, but at the end of the day, it's still a Golani, it still has a mediocre barrel and a questionable receiver.

Oh goodness... Well, I suppose I'll be waiting until post med school for that galil...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    MINI-14.

I love my mini. Very rugged and reliable. Simple operation and disassembly. Ruger made in the US quality. The only possible downside would be the proprietary mags, which are expensive and look deceivingly like AR mags.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    MINI-14.

I love my mini. Very rugged and reliable. Simple operation and disassembly. Ruger made in the US quality. The only possible downside would be the proprietary mags, which are expensive and look deceivingly like AR mags.

I have a old smoked / clear Ramline Mag that works in both the Mini and AR . I have a weekend project of taking a file to a Magpul and see what happens , At worst Ill be out $15 at best Ill have some 30s that will work in a Mini .

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    i dont know anything about the galil, but i bought my b-i-l a mini for his birthday last year and he LOVES it. it came out to $715 out the door for the black synthetic stock one. only thing is that mags are sickly expensive, and i dont know how the optics systems work for it. i think i recall scarcqb saying that minis kill scopes, but youll have to ask someone more knowledgeable than me about that

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    i dont know anything about the galil, but i bought my b-i-l a mini for his birthday last year and he LOVES it. it came out to $715 out the door for the black synthetic stock one. only thing is that mags are sickly expensive, and i dont know how the optics systems work for it. i think i recall scarcqb saying that minis kill scopes, but youll have to ask someone more knowledgeable than me about that

Ultimak makes a scout mount for the Mini14 that may be the ticket for mounting something like an Aimpoint.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I feel Galils are the best in the AK series. Originals are expensive. I purchased this 372 30 years ago for $716. It shoots great.

Last edited:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Although I voted mini 14, what I would have voted is Mini-30 in 7.62x39. That seems to be the best of both worlds. It's not regulated and it fires 7.62x39.

M

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    there was a used mini at the timonuim show on saturday. i think it was $499.00. had some scope on it with the crappy side scope mount. i am not sure of what shop was selling it. they were to the left of shooter discounts.

my vote is for the mini.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Like erwos, I also have a Galil in the process of being built. His numbers are right on, other than Tenngalil quoted me about $700 for the build due to some extras I wanted (Hebrew markings, pinned flash surpressor, moly coated, ect.). I'd have to lean toward the Galil due to its combat history, and proven reliability under extreme conditions. The Mini-14 seems like a nice gun (Never owned one), but I'll take combat proven any day (And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that coolness factor plays into this decision as well).

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    Or, just to throw this out, how about a saiga in 556 and work on that a little?

A great way to go if you are on a budget! It works out of the box for less than $500, and you can modify as your time / budget allow. Once converted and with a bullet guide, you can run 30 - 35 rnd milspec mags. Different guns can be finicky with the milsurp mags - some will run with galil steel, some won't, some will run great with orlites, some won't, etc. I got my s223 before i got an AR, and it's been dead-nuts reliable, and pretty damn accurate.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    A great way to go if you are on a budget! It works out of the box for less than $500, and you can modify as your time / budget allow. Once converted and with a bullet guide, you can run 30 - 35 rnd milspec mags. Different guns can be finicky with the milsurp mags - some will run with galil steel, some won't, some will run great with orlites, some won't, etc. I got my s223 before i got an AR, and it's been dead-nuts reliable, and pretty damn accurate.

So, they have to take galil mags? Could one be made to take ar mags?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom