• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larry David

Jul 1, 2013
    Carroll County
    Any significant difference in accuracy between the G34 and 17? Planned use is IDPA. I will get started in IDPA with my G21. I really like that gun. I received some great input regarding using my G21 for IDPA on the Competive Shooting forum but I may want to switch to a 9mm at some point if I find that I am at a significant disadvantage with 9mm shooters.

It looks like from the bit of research I have done on the G34 and 17 that the G17 is more readily obtainable and cheaper. If I am going to do this should I just get the G34? :confused:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I believe the G34 was designed for competition. The G17 will be easier to find, but I'd say it's buy once/ cry once here.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If your intention is for competition get the 34. It is a comp gun. That's what I did. :)

Not saying that 17 is bad. Few use it also.

mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    If your looking for a competition glock then the 34 is your choice... as evident from the 2012 IDPA National Championship Equipment Survey.

http://www272.safesecureweb.com/idpa/tj.asp?ID=364

The 34 may be a better crossover platform into other competition formats too.

If your looking for a EDC (in the 9mm caliber) that you can use in IDPA then maybe the 19 (or even the 17 if your a big guy) would be my suggestion.

Just an opinion.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    2A Sales had a G17 and G34 in stock as of Wednesday. Both nice guns. If you want it for IDPA then I would go with the G34. There's nothing the G17 can do that the G34 can't.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I love my G34. I can't attest to a Gen 4 model, but I love my Gen 3 to death. I've never shot better with another handgun.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Any significant difference in accuracy between the G34 and 17? Planned use is IDPA. I will get started in IDPA with my G21. I really like that gun. I received some great input regarding using my G21 for IDPA on the Competive Shooting forum but I may want to switch to a 9mm at some point if I find that I am at a significant disadvantage with 9mm shooters.

It looks like from the bit of research I have done on the G34 and 17 that the G17 is more readily obtainable and cheaper. If I am going to do this should I just get the G34? :confused:

****I have both the G17 and 34's in Gen 3 and 4. I prefer the G34 Gen 3 for IDPA as it seems to fit my hand better and I can do mag changes faster with it due to the shape of the mag release. As others have mentioned the G34 was built for competition and has adjustable sights, a lighter trigger, etc.. I have aftermarket triggers (basically stock parts but professionally well polished, fit, etc..) on my competition guns and this setup works for me and produces a fantastic trigger feel that is predictable and has a very clean break and recovery.

If you plan on competing just get the G34. It has a longer sight radius, cut out slide for lightness, etc.. out of the box. You can always buy a G17 or 17L slide later and swap some parts, etc.. The Glock lends itself well to customization and parts are VERY available and *much* less expensive than other platforms.

Good luck.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Ditto, having shot both I bought the G34 and LOVE it. It's my "this gun is an extension of my arm" gun. Nothing wrong with a G17, I just can't think of anything it does better than a G34.

-Jim

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    For whatever reason, I sucked shooting the G34 and finally sold it. Kept my 17, 19 & 26 and have great success shooting them.

I'm in the opposite boat, lol. I rented a 17 and hated it. It felt awful to me. It's possible it was just the rental being well worn in though. At that same range I tried a G26 and it's my second favorite handgun so far, haha. It brought me an ear to ear grin.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit

The G34 already has the trigger you would probably want to upgrade to if you bought the G17 and wanted to shoot it often, either competitively or otherwise. The extra barrel length can't hurt, either.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I started with g34 but have been using g17 lately. The 34 is gen3 and 17 is gen4 and i like the extra grippiness more. Also comes out of holster and points a little quicker.

You will most likely get rid of factory sights on either, and a lighter connector is like ten bucks, so neither should be big factors.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm in the opposite boat, lol. I rented a 17 and hated it. It felt awful to me. It's possible it was just the rental being well worn in though.
    My GF and I rented a G17 at MSAR as part of one of those Groupon deals, and she had a ton of FTL with it. After I bought my own G17, she hasn't had any problems with it. I think rental guns just get loose or something from the beating they take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom