• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Do you guys find any real difference in recoil? Its between those two...
    Do any of you find the recoil harder on the G19, or find one particularly easier to shoot?

Buying one wednesday, hard to find a G17, but I've found some G19s.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    You really may not see much difference when shooting them, G17 is about 2 oz. heavy fully loaded and about .5" longer than G19. I myself prefer full size Glocks for the range but i do have G27 for carry.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The G17 and 19, no, I havn't tried them both. If it's comparable to the difference between the G22 and 23, than you won't notice it enough to bother you.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've shot plenty of both models, there is little noticeable diference in sight radius or recoil, the main difference is that the G19 fits the hand a little tighter without as much grip or slide hanging outside of your grip. Either model allows a full 3 finger grip, but the G19 is the more versatile pistol especially for those with small hands, the hump on the back of the grip is also flatter making it feel like a more vertical and comfortable grip angle for those used to pistols that have a 1911ish grip angle, also being a hair bit shorter and lighter, it points a little faster, and is easier to conceal. The G17 however is a good pistol, and allows a little more room for those with larger hands where concealment is not as much of an issue, or for those who want a little more sight radius and velocity from their ammo. I personally shoot the G19 better, even though my hands are somewhat large, it just nestles right into my hands without much hanging off, and allows my support hand to cup the bottom of the mag a lttle bit with a high grip, making it easy for me to shoot fast and keep a solid hold on the pistol. To me, recoil seems actually a little less because of the better fit of the grip. If they made a G19 grip frame with a G17 length slide, it would be about perfect, a little extra weight up front, and a little longer sight radius with that nice tight fitting grip.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I only have shot the G17 it has almost no felt recoil at all

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    I have shot both. In terms of felt recoil, for me its hard to say if there is any difference. However, I shoot the G17 better then the G19 and feel that the G17 has the edge in slightly less perceived recoil. But that is me YMMV.

One thing you might consider, is that the Glock has just started producing the G17 in RTF2. You might want to look at one of those, if you can find one. They are nice, if you can get past the "gill" serrations on the the slide.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I only have shot the G17 it has almost no felt recoil at all

I would hope so, it's a 9mm for Pete's sake.

If you load some +P+ rounds there will be some snap, but not like a .44Magnum with heavy loads. 9mm ball is almost tame.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Okay, I think I'm okay with the G19. I was hesitant at first because I wanted a full size 9mm, but a G19 is almost full size. Reason is I've found a G19 and cant find any G17s. (Found one at the armory, $600....USED!) I think I'll be okay with the G19. Hell, i'll buy a G17 eventually anyway, most likely.

Scud

Nov 16, 2008
    Near Smithsburg
    I have both. It's a 9mm. Recoil is not much of an issue. I honestly would have a hard time making an analysis of recoil variations between the two. If it fits your hand well, and you like the trigger - shoot it and think about it no more.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Personally I went with the 23 (diff caliber I know)...but I don't like sub-compacts...even with the extended mag, I don't like my pinky finger resting on the mag (or open air for the regular sub mags)...I like all my fingers to be on the frame itself...but that's my and my personal preference.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Personally I went with the 23 (diff caliber I know)...but I don't like sub-compacts...even with the extended mag, I don't like my pinky finger resting on the mag (or open air for the regular sub mags)...I like all my fingers to be on the frame itself...but that's my and my personal preference.

If you carry, you end up appreciating those short grips, they are much easier to hide, and with a peirce extension, they are not that much bulkier, but allow a place for your pinkie. I have a G30 SF, and love it, it is a handful recoil wise, especially with my 230gr+p HST carry loads, but is manageable with a lot of practice. I normally carry it with the flat base 9rd mag IWB, and a 10rd mag with the peirce extension on the left side of my belt, that setup is relatively concealable, and not too heavy, but has 20 very nasty 45acp rounds on tap. Thing is, that after shooting a couple mags through that, I pick up my Dad's G19, or my M&P 9c, and they feel like a BB gun.

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    this thread is great i have wondered the difference between them from a shooting stand point because i felt non when shooting them at frostbite

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    If you carry, you end up appreciating those short grips, they are much easier to hide, and with a peirce extension, they are not that much bulkier, but allow a place for your pinkie. I have a G30 SF, and love it, it is a handful recoil wise, especially with my 230gr+p HST carry loads, but is manageable with a lot of practice. I normally carry it with the flat base 9rd mag IWB, and a 10rd mag with the peirce extension on the left side of my belt, that setup is relatively concealable, and not too heavy, but has 20 very nasty 45acp rounds on tap. Thing is, that after shooting a couple mags through that, I pick up my Dad's G19, or my M&P 9c, and they feel like a BB gun.

I'm not a small individual...so if ever do manage to get a CCW permit, I'm not too worried about it...

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I have both. It's a 9mm. Recoil is not much of an issue. I honestly would have a hard time making an analysis of recoil variations between the two. If it fits your hand well, and you like the trigger - shoot it and think about it no more.

Me too. I had my G17 for 10 years before I got my G19. I like both. Oddly, I shoot the 19 better even though I have huge hands. Whatever you can find the better deal on is the one I would get. Join the GSSG for $35 per year and get a coupon to buy 1 Glock per year for $400.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Me too. I had my G17 for 10 years before I got my G19. I like both. Oddly, I shoot the 19 better even though I have huge hands. Whatever you can find the better deal on is the one I would get. Join the GSSG for $35 per year and get a coupon to buy 1 Glock per year for $400.

What gunshops in MD accept the coupon?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

OK, Googled it and couldn't find "GSSG". Do you have a link?

Thx.

EDIT: "GSSF" - gssfonline.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom