• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Sweet. That looks mighty fine.

Are you planning to sell these with no mag? I was looking around the other night on the web to see if I could find a decent 20 and the only one I could find was a promag all-plastic one.

http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/ak-a17.htm

It looks like everything else is either 10 or 30.

The problem with anything like that is that American mags have been highly problematic. The only ones I have been that are decent are the NEW US Palm mags. Promags, tapco, and the 1st Gen Us Palms are not steel reinforced. The lips, the knob on the front, and the flat piece on the back need to be reinforced, otherwise that will not work long. Thats why the surplus ones are so popular. For instance:

"Due to the interface of rifle and magazine in the Kalashnikov platforms, and the leverage that critical points must withstand, we knew we couldn’t leave well-enough alone with the AK MOE before we even started designing. Also currently in development, and arriving on the heels of the AK MOE, is the next release in the PMAG AK lineup, which will be a 7.62x39 magazine with a little more “Bulgarian” in it, featuring solid steel reinforcements at lockup points. "

Thats the Magpul press release. Even before the 1st Gens hit the market they're plugging steel reinforced Mags that are "currently in development".

Our rifles will come with Trashco mags however I do not recommend them. It would just raise the cost too much to the customer to use the surplus plus we would have to plug the 30s. That in and of itself would be tragic and I cannot bring myself to do such a thing.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Our rifles will come with Trashco mags however I do not recommend them. It would just raise the cost too much to the customer to use the surplus plus we would have to plug the 30s. That in and of itself would be tragic and I cannot bring myself to do such a thing.

No problem. I kind of figured that I would have to hunt up some surplus mags elsewhere when the only thing I could find on the web were those plastic 20s. I was just hoping there might be something out there that I didn't know about.

When I come in to pay for this, I will want to talk to you about what I should be looking for in terms of 74 surplus mags for it. I don't know whether all of them are fine or whether I should steer clear of certain countries' output. I know there are some differences between Bulgarian receivers, Romanian receivers etc, but I have no idea whether those differences mean some surplus 5.45 magazines aren't going to work well in a Bulgarian receiver.

By all means, please do not mangle a perfectly good 30 on my account, that is an abomination. I will go for a drive once I know what I am supposed to be looking for.

FWIW, I am sort of surprised there are no decent 20s in 5.45 out there - I can see people wanting them just so the mag doesn't ride quite as high when they are shooting off a bench. I guess the Russians don't need no stinkin' benches - they only shoot offhand like real men. :party29:

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    All surplus mags should work. Some are better than others. I like the East German bakelikes most but Bulgarian and Polish work just as well. Russians are mostly for collecting.

Top row left to right
    Bulgarian black, East German orange bakelite, Polish steel

Lower row
    Bulgarian brown, Russian Plum, Polish poly black

Attachments

• DSCN0452.JPG
      DSCN0452.JPG
      105 KB · Views: 115
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics