Future .308 Rifle: MA-TEN build or LMT MWSE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So now an opinion about accuracy and reliably come from behind a work bench not behind the gun on a live range. Guess I've wasted money on buying guns and shooting them.

I test fire the guns I work on and customize, some on the range some just for function depending on the work.

I convery what I see often, dont see often, what works, what dosent, what I like. You dont like me and thats fine but your dislike of me wont silence me, chase me off, or keep me from trying to help people make informed decisions.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Low round count test firing isn't a way to judge a gun.

That's like renting a pistol and shooting 50 rounds then saying how great it is because it never jams. Not exactly a true representation of the guns over all performance. Spending a year and a few thousand rounds evaluating a gun and then an opinion is warranted.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Low round count test firing isn't a way to judge a gun.

That's like renting a pistol and shooting 50 rounds then saying how great it is because it never jams. Not exactly a true representation of the guns over all performance. Spending a year and a few thousand rounds evaluating a gun and then an opinion is warranted.

I shoot alot and so do the people I do work for. Like I said what I do cant be learned by reading the internet. Try and marginalize my knowledge, experience, and abilities all you want but my expertise is broader then you like to think. Besides doing I.T. work for my primary employer, I am involved in a weapon program (Private Military Contractor). Ive been gunsmithng for a decade now. I can list my skills in detail in you like.

The guns I service that are social use weapons do get extensively shot by the end users. You really think the people I do work for dont take carbine classes or use them in 360 degree hostile scenarios? When or if they fail I hear about it.

I can go at this all day and night if you like but your not going to bait me like you buddy TZOID tried, and always lost at.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    If you ever find yourself in White Marsh Arms for some reason, ask Jaime about mine. He about shit himself when he saw what it was capable of with Prvi 168. I think he did shit himself when the POI shift was less then 1/2" when I put the suppressor on.

If you ever want to test drive one let me know.

Think I know you...kinda. anyway, Jamie has one at the store with a 16 inch Chrome, I was going to buy it till I realized it wasn't a 20 inch stainless like I had asked him to get before. Turns out I can't realy swing that kinda cash at the moment so I'm grabbing the cqb from him next week. A buddy of mine has the mws with a 20 inch stainless and it shoots my m1a load sub moa all day long. They are wonderous weapons in my mind. Heavy bitch though

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    So the fact is, you do not own the gun in question.

You are offering second hand information as your opinion.

You are making a claim that you built AR10 pattern rifles for a PMC that has taken them into a hostile environment and that is where your claim of accuracy and reliably is coming from.

Just trying to get the facts stright.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So the fact is, you do not own the gun in question.

Nope, I dont personally own a LMT .308. I have worked on more than I can count though. Same goes for SR25's and other SR25/AR10 type weapons.

You are offering second hand information as your opinion.

Nope, Im offering my personal preferences based on what I have worked on and shot. If my work was bad they would have complained or returned.

You are making a claim that you built AR10 pattern rifles for a PMC that has taken them into a hostile environment and that is where your claim of accuracy and reliably is coming from.

I used the PMC comment and Gunsmithing experience to relate my first hand experience. Perhaps I should have worded is better so you wouldnt have a chance to try and change what I meant. The PMC's in question dont use AR10/SR25's. Again it was an example to show when I opine Im not regurgitating something I read from someone else, or am relaying from a single example in my collection. The guys I have do work for do on various platforms do use them in classes and training (The MEGA build list to be specific).

I have not tested them all side by side on the same day, but with factory loads such as Black Hills, Gold Match, Hornady,....the MEGA with a Noveske Barrel groups on par with a LMT, LaRue, Armalite, GAP, DPMS, ect....and often outshoot them. With the minor tweaks I do to the feed ramps and various areas they are also easier on the brass so the owner can have less work reworking the brass from damage. My .308 triggers feel better, and the actions are smoother. These tweaks can be done to any other .308 ar and are not something exclusive to the list I made up.

To some these things matter, to some it gives them an advantage, to some it dont. I put that info out there for people to consider and make a decision they are well equipped with info to make. No hard feelings if they dont pick my list or ask me a question.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Well now I'm curious, you claim to have worked on more LMT's then you can count. What did you do to a rifle that is still under warranty? What do you do better then LMT ?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well now I'm curious, you claim to have worked on more LMT's then you can count. What did you do to a rifle that is still under warranty? What do you do better then LMT ?

I dont do anything better than LMT. I offer a personal touch, thats all. I can only say that ones that need some TLC, occasionaly end up in front of me, just like any other high end weapon, some need some tweaking. I also see high end guns from Colt, Daniel Defense, FN, Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, SIG, HK, Knights, CZ, ect.... I dont claim to do anything better than they do either, I just fix or tune them when its needed.

For the LMT's it was Triggers that needed smoothing up, Feed Ramps causing feed issues on certain Projectiles. Rough areas eating up the Brass (Tough for Reloading), such as the Feed Ramps, Extractor, Locking Lugs, Magazines, Carriers, Ejection Port, and so forth. 2 Had accuracy issues but it could have been end users induced, the crowns were jacked, a quick recorwn, trigger smoothing and they were back in business knocking out ragged holes.

Mailing guns back isnt something many have the stomach for, its why they bring them to local shops with good reps, wether it be a Pistol, Revolver, Bolt Action, Carbine, Collectible, ect...to local smiths instead of using warranty work. Rugers, Glocks, Smith and Wessons, Tauruses, pretty much every quality manufacturer offers good warranties but the one I have experience with simply use a trusted smith to iron out details. I cant blame owners not wanting to ships guns considering the amount of trouble it is when your not a FFL. I have had my personal guns stolen when shipped and many shippers simply make it difficult.

Jack Gordon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2011
    Places Unknown
    I dont do anything better than LMT. I offer a personal touch, thats all. I can only say that ones that need some TLC, occasionaly end up in front of me, just like any other high end weapon, some need some tweaking. I also see high end guns from Colt, Daniel Defense, FN, Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, SIG, HK, Knights, CZ, ect.... I dont claim to do anything better than they do either, I just fix or tune them when its needed.

For the LMT's it was Triggers that needed smoothing up, Feed Ramps causing feed issues on certain Projectiles. Rough areas eating up the Brass (Tough for Reloading), such as the Feed Ramps, Extractor, Locking Lugs, Magazines, Carriers, Ejection Port, and so forth. 2 Had accuracy issues but it could have been end users induced, the crowns were jacked, a quick recorwn, trigger smoothing and they were back in business knocking out ragged holes.

Mailing guns back isnt something many have the stomach for, its why they bring them to local shops with good reps, wether it be a Pistol, Revolver, Bolt Action, Carbine, Collectible, ect...to local smiths instead of using warranty work. Rugers, Glocks, Smith and Wessons, Tauruses, pretty much every quality manufacturer offers good warranties but the one I have experience with simply use a trusted smith to iron out details. I cant blame owners not wanting to ships guns considering the amount of trouble it is when your not a FFL. I have had my personal guns stolen when shipped and many shippers simply make it difficult.

Remember when you send a gun back to a manufacturer, do YOU know who is working on it. The answer is no. It may be the seasoned vet, but it also may be a rookies first day. Chad works on all my stuff and I know and trust him. He will make it right I know he will. Hell, he will even pull you in the back of that gay chocolate factory and show you how and why he's doing what he's doing. Will colt or lmt or lwrc do that? The answer is no. People that don't know as much as another get jealous easily and that seems like that's whats happening here. Don't take chad the wrong way, he only tries to be informative. He will tell me things I don't wanna hear too, sometimes late at night and i have a hard time getting to bed. But in the end he is always trying to help, don't get your feelings hurt.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Remember when you send a gun back to a manufacturer, do YOU know who is working on it. The answer is no. It may be the seasoned vet, but it also may be a rookies first day. Chad works on all my stuff and I know and trust him. He will make it right I know he will. Hell, he will even pull you in the back of that gay chocolate factory and show you how and why he's doing what he's doing. Will colt or lmt or lwrc do that? The answer is no. People that don't know as much as another get jealous easily and that seems like that's whats happening here. Don't take chad the wrong way, he only tries to be informative. He will tell me things I don't wanna hear too, sometimes late at night and i have a hard time getting to bed. But in the end he is always trying to help, don't get your feelings hurt.

Do you know me ? I've seen his work, I'm unimpressed. This isn't the first time you've jumped in to protect you little friend.

Maybe if there was a decent smith locally I would use them for some things. Until then I'll buy quality guns and use out of state people.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    What left you unimpressed?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I know that it's not easy to do high quality work. It takes time, knowledge, and a lot of attention to detail. Chad certainly seems to have a fair bit of knowledge, I haven't seen his work though.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Do you know me ? I've seen his work, I'm unimpressed.

Name the work you have seen that so umimpressive.

Drilling and Tapping
    Scope Mounting
    Lathe Work/Barrel Contouring
    Screw Head Repair
    Milling/Sight Work
    Polishing
    Stippling/Checkering
    Barrel Installing
    Forging
    Backboring
    Honing
    Chambering/Reaming
    SLide Install
    Fitting Safeties
    Troubleshooting
    Clearing Siezed Loaded Weapons
    Knowing countless guns intimately and NOT needing Youtube or a Manual to Service/repair
    Dehorn Work
    Refinishing
    Removing Seized Parts and Scews
    Fire/Water and Rust Restoration
    Enhancements for Disabled Veterans
    Choke Tube Installation
    Custom Modifications
    Chop Jobs
    Pillar Install
    Soldering
    Welding
    Crowning
    Trigger Job
    Stock Work
    Recoil Pads
    Porting
    Tmining Break Action and Revolvers
    Threading
    Ramp Work
    Action Work
    Heat Treating
    Chamfering
    Bedding
    Floating
    Engraving
    Bead Install

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I didnt think about the personal aspect of it. Good point and thanks for the laugh about the gay. :lol2:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What left you unimpressed?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I know that it's not easy to do high quality work. It takes time, knowledge, and a lot of attention to detail. Chad certainly seems to have a fair bit of knowledge, I haven't seen his work though.

From the day I joined the forum Jeepdriver has had issues with me. It was way before I started being more colorful. Hes tries to act like I dont know what Im doing and as soon as I answer his questions he moves along to something else vague or makes an attempt to insult, and when I answer that he tries another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom