Future .308 Rifle: MA-TEN build or LMT MWSE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    So what does an Mega end up running at the end of the day, and is it as sexy as a M1A? I'll concede that it is probably more accurate.

That probably depends on if you were born before or after 1960. :lol2: :D

I always noticed the old guys at the range loved my M1A.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Don't forget that during the 1st quarter of next year there is going to be another player in this market. Street price on the Colt SP901 looks to be 2k.

Attachments

• Colt-SP901-L-E_W.jpg
      Colt-SP901-L-E_W.jpg
      13.8 KB · Views: 278

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    That probably depends on if you were born before or after 1960. :lol2: :D

I always noticed the old guys at the range loved my M1A.

What's not to love about it??? The M1A is every bit as sexy if not more than the AR-10.

Still the OP is looking for an AR-10, and a pretty nice one at that... I think I'd want the Mega.

Attachments

• DSCN1346.jpg
      DSCN1346.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 271
    • DSC_0566.jpg
      DSC_0566.jpg
      133 KB · Views: 279

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I really like the top pic, but it's kind of like stuffing grandma in a prom dress. Except she can still dance. :lol: :lol2: :lol2:

What kind of scope is that?

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    So this thread and a discussion with the co that just did the billet lower buy for us has me working on a 308 lower buy from Head Down Products. They are offering us a good deal if we can get 50 pcs for an order. just throwing it out there.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Does that rifle exist ? Has anyone ever shot it ? How can it 'smoke' pre built AR10's ? What is the standard ? 1/2 MOA ? Wouldn't a factory Noveske be at least as accurate or a LMT with a 5R barrel ?

Hey Jeep!

Not knocking the LMT at all. I ordered one, remember. :) Plus, I'd buy a pre-built anyday. (Larue, GAP, LMT) But, it's 3:46am and my insomnia is finally losing its battle tonight. Ha! So, I'll add to the this thread later today.

But, here's thread thread from Clandestine:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1310545&postcount=14

I've found other threads on the web, but I'll need to dig'em up.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I remembered you ordered one, I'm shocked it still isn't in !

There are too many quality options out there to be assembling your own AR10 pattern rifle. They are not as plug and play as their 5.56 cousin, there isn't a standard that all manufactures follow (it's getting closer though). Atleast with a factory rifle you have the backing of the manufacturer if you have issues.

The accuracy from the OBR, MWS & GAP is well known, as is their dependablity. Why gamble on some parts gun listed on a forum ?

The Colt may be another quality option, but that decision is a long way off. They need to get it to market and people need to start getting a lot of rounds down range before it can be counted with the ones listed above.

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    Don't forget that during the 1st quarter of next year there is going to be another player in this market. Street price on the Colt SP901 looks to be 2k.

I didn't realize this one was so close to actual production. Still, as tempting as that option is, I'd rather not be an early adopter. Plus, the probability of seeing one on the market for any reasonable price is minimal (see ACR, SCAR, etc.).

The GAP-10, OBR, etc. also look like reasonable alternatives. I wanted to set the budget at about $2500 before optics, but I suppose I could save up a little longer if necessary.

I already have an M1A Loaded with a JAE stock on the way (a purchase I made almost half a year ago, back when I had money :sad20:), but I may end up selling it to finance this project.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hey Jeep!

Not knocking the LMT at all. I ordered one, remember. :) Plus, I'd buy a pre-built anyday. (Larue, GAP, LMT) But, it's 3:46am and my insomnia is finally losing its battle tonight. Ha! So, I'll add to the this thread later today.

But, here's thread thread from Clandestine:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1310545&postcount=14

I've found other threads on the web, but I'll need to dig'em up.

My parts list will run with the factory guns all day and outshoot most as well.
    1/2 MOA with the right ammo is hard to beat on an autoloader.

Ive built and worked on enough 308 AR's to know what works and what dont. Ive also worked on all the awesome .308 from LMT, Knights, Armalite, LWRC that dont run reliably or can barely hold MOA.

If you buy a Pre Built I say get a GA Precision or LaRue. The new Colt looks promising since it will accept 5.56 uppers but it is Colt so who knows how they will jack it up with some stupid proprietary crap or safety.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If it's all about .308 accuracy in a semi-auto package, it's hard to beat the FNAR Heavy. Yes, it's a PITA ass to strip and clean, but it's accurate.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    My parts list will run with the factory guns all day and outshoot most as well.
    1/2 MOA with the right ammo is hard to beat on an autoloader.

Ive built and worked on enough 308 AR's to know what works and what dont. Ive also worked on all the awesome .308 from LMT, Knights, Armalite, LWRC that dont run reliably or can barely hold MOA.

If you buy a Pre Built I say get a GA Precision or LaRue. The new Colt looks promising since it will accept 5.56 uppers but it is Colt so who knows how they will jack it up with some stupid proprietary crap or safety.
    Is there an actual working model of this gun?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So not a gun you own or personally shoot, only second hand information.

No, I don't personally own one, but I build, repair, customize, and shoot them. I have hands on experience with countless units. Besides a few examples you and your friends have what first hand experience do you have fixing troublesome Sr25/Ar10 based guns. I know what I know from experience ,not reading m4c.net.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    So now an opinion about accuracy and reliably come from behind a work bench not behind the gun on a live range. Guess I've wasted money on buying guns and shooting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom