• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Was me and the wife’s first time participating and we had a great time. This is a great way to train and run those guns.

Even though it to early to get up on a weekend it’s a cool event and well run.

TD

Last edited:

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    Was me and the wife’s first time participating and we had a great time. This is a great way to train and run those guns.

Even though it to early to get up on a weekend it’s a cool event and we’ll run.

TD

Glad you guys came out and had fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It seems like everybody (myself included) likes the "big" run and gun stage on the rifle range. Last time...was a LOT of running, which wore out the RO's (myself definitely included:o) who had to run it multiple times. I had an idea to include movement, but slightly less, this time around. It was going to be fairly hot. The ground was firm, so I could tractor out the other plate rack. That gave us 6 targets that didn't have to be manhandled out...and back in the heat, which seemed like a good idea. I kinda wish I had compressed it a little more because my legs are still tired. If we do it again, I'll put the plate rack next to the barrels to save us some steps. My squad had some military age "kids" who REALLY ran...almost as fast as they shot.

This is the view from the dorky camera on my head of one of our MDS members (I'll let him reveal himself). He did a great run and was a fantastic help, not just to our squad, but the event as a whole :bowdown:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Well...you can't see the targets because I didn't realize the camera had shifted. :o At least this shows one of the games we play to get the brain working a little. There are 3 red targets and 3 black targets with a blue stop plate. The card color determines the targets engaged in each string, each ending on the stop plate.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    We had a great time. Thanks to you and the RSOs.
    We always like to hear that folks had fun. We're also interested in feedback about things that weren't as much fun as they could be. We try to keep things fresh...but there's only so much we can do with the space we have.

Thanks for coming out!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Tagging this. Art, thanks for taking the time to post the videos in the OP. It has been a long time since I've done anything like these matches, and even then it was only a one time deal. I'd like to get up there one day for a match.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Tagging this. Art, thanks for taking the time to post the videos in the OP. It has been a long time since I've done anything like these matches, and even then it was only a one time deal. I'd like to get up there one day for a match.
    Come on out! As long as I'm a part of running it, this match is going to be friendly and inviting to new (or newly returning to ;) ) action shooters. Even the more complicated stages can just be done slowly and steadily. We usually have new shooters and often experienced but somewhat less able bodied shooters. I do my best not to design any traps. If there are any situations that can be a little "trappy," we discuss it in the safety brief. Finger off the trigger and muzzle downrange is pretty much the whole thing...remembering to do both when required is the trick.

We also just about always have a very simple Steel Challenge type (5 strings of 5 targets from a stationary position) stage for shooters to build their confidence.

On the other hand, experienced shooters can always just push themselves to go faster :gun3: (and they sure do!)

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    To all the shooters out there even mildly interested, this is a no pressure event with shooters of all levels. We're all there to have some fun and practice skills in a safe but semi-challenging environment. The requirements are minimal, it's relatively inexpensive ($15), and the prize is simply self improvement. Please consider coming out and I suspect you'll have an enjoyable morning.

The guy in the video always has a great time.. :gun3:

This is the view from the dorky camera on my head of one of our MDS members (I'll let him reveal himself). He did a great run and was a fantastic help, not just to our squad, but the event as a whole :bowdown:

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    How would an intermediate pistol shooter but total newbie to steel matches get into these ? Are there courses like this that can be practiced on ? How to become approved to shoot first event ? Really interested and enjoyed the videos, Thanks for posting them !

VHT4ME

Jan 7, 2021
    How would an intermediate pistol shooter but total newbie to steel matches get into these ? Are there courses like this that can be practiced on ? How to become approved to shoot first event ? Really interested and enjoyed the videos, Thanks for posting them !
    Just sign up for a practiscore.com account. You could attent a "fun shoot". No timer, no scores. But honestly I'd recommend coming to this one 1st. Art and all the RO's are great with coaching new shooters.
    More import to be safe than quick. Follow instructions, keep your finger out of the trigger guard (until ready to fire), don't break 180, maintain proper grip, and smooth trigger press.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Just sign up for a practiscore.com account. You could attent a "fun shoot". No timer, no scores. But honestly I'd recommend coming to this one 1st. Art and all the RO's are great with coaching new shooters.
    More import to be safe than quick. Follow instructions, keep your finger out of the trigger guard (until ready to fire), don't break 180, maintain proper grip, and smooth trigger press.
    Thanks !

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

It really is that simple. Check out the video in the very first post of this thread to make sure you have the minimum gear (:secret: it ain't a lot). You can create your practiscore account now (it's free, just need an email address and come up with a password). I'll post this link when registration opens one week before the next match (9/24).
    It will look different when it's actually open. You can also follow the club through practiscore. I always warn that practiscore is not as intuitive to navigate as it should be. My biggest gripe is that they do not always indicate hyperlinks by underlining them or making them blue. Sometimes, they are just words that you have to know to click on. For example, in the link I posted, the words, "View Squadding" is actually a hyperlink. You really can't tell unless you hover the cursor over it. "DPFNG Steel Challenge Shoot" on the right side of the screen is also a link (doesn't look like it though, does it?) that will take you to the main page for all of our matches. Sometimes we are organized and have all the dates lined up...maybe not all of them this time :o

Another common practiscore mistake is if you change anything about your registration (name, squad, or what division you are shooting). It is very easy to accidentally register multiple times instead of saving your changes. If you get confused, email or call the match director (that contact info will be sent to you via email when you register...I don't want to put it out here on the whole internet ;) )

If you can figure out how to get on MDS, you should be able to figure out practiscore ;)

On the day of your first match, get there around 8:30 or so to sign in, pay cash (exact change is helpful), and help set up. During the 9:00 safety brief (which, if you miss, means you can't shoot this time), whoever is giving it will ask who is new to this. Don't be shy. Raise your hand (I bet it won't be the only one). When we break into squads, tell the RO running that squad that you are new and they will make sure you aren't first to shoot. We're a friendly bunch, mostly, and, as long as you aren't cocky or a jerk to them, I bet the whole squad will help you have a safe good time. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom