• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Here we go...

http://www.pulitzer.org/archives/6299

Seems the thrust of it is "privilege kills"

This part is eerie...
    While some inner city teens are forced to learn survival skills to get by, many suburban kids are growing up "weaker and crippled, without the ability to cope" with any sort of emotional pain, Brody said. It's the same reason why rashes of teen suicides have often struck in white, opulent parts of town, he added.

And here's the magic tie-in to the article in the OP:

They are teased, get angry and crave bloody recognition in order to push aside the feelings that they are society's losers.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I was wondering what this article had to do with fudging.

There are 15 million kids in the US in 9th-12th grade in the US. If 200k kids are carrying knives, clubs, (and air guns or firearms) into schools, that's 1.5%, sounds on the low side to me.

Anytime you take a number and gross it up to a country the size of the US, it's "staggering"!! There are 50,000 people who die in the US every single week (2.5 million per year). That means the entire population of Baltimore dies in 3 months. Staggering! we are losing entire cities every quarter!

Actually, if there are 15 million kids in high school, and 10% of them carry a weapon of some kind, think of how low the violence rate really is compared to the millions of kids carrying knifes.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    This was part of the OP's point... the exaggeration of "data" into a "newstrionic fit" (new term).

(she's still new to doing the forum thing... I'll remind her to try and keep checking on her threads)

Last edited:

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    "Bullying victims are sneaking hundreds of thousands of firearms, knives and clubs into U.S. high schools"

99,999 clubs and one gun = 100,000 clubs and guns.

"Specifically, bullied students who have endured four types of aggressive clashes at school — 1 )being verbally tormented, 2)sustaining a physical assault, 3)suffering personal property theft or damage, and 4)cutting school due to safety concerns"
    (emphasis added)

So cutting school is being subjected to aggressive clashes?

How can one even consider taking something like this seriously with this sort of nonsense? Unless, of course, it says what you wish it to say. Then it is a "study".

duallyjams

Sep 28, 2008
    Deale Md
    1,2,4, all happen to me in high school, I carried a knife every day ( it was allowed back then ) I never pulled it to use against anyone.
    My nephew was bullied a lot worst then I was, I helped him with as much advise that I could give on how to deal with it, he became a Marine and served in Afghanistan and now is married with a son and in the reserve.
    Everyone has a choice on how to deal with life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom