• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brown Cow

Feb 4, 2011
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    Just got home from FreeState, and my experience was much better than I expected. Great guys working there, and they couldn't be nicer. Lanes have lots of options for you targets. I will go as long as the doors stay open.

Last edited:

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Tzoid I too had drywall dust falling on me I was like what the heck was that....
    I too am excited about this place.... I will tell you why.
    I really don't care about the facility as much as I do the atmosphere. I walked in nervous at first b/c there was no signage and I didn't want to have guns walking into a daycare or something. So I fixed that by giving them a RED MDS flag to hang in the window (problem solved) I sat and talked with the owner and a few of the employees for almost 30 min all of which made me feel at home like we where sitting on the sofa drinking beers. Not once did they speak to me like they where better or they where doing me a favor like most shops in the area.

Hell these guys might even make me buy a gun local.....
    They are an FFL, Range, will transfer, soon to be Class 3, and best of all treated me well.

These guys will get all my money for a local shop if they keep up how they have started...

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Tzoid I too had drywall dust falling on me I was like what the heck was that....
    I really don't care about the facility as much as I do the atmosphere. I walked in nervous at first b/c there was no signage and I didn't want to have guns walking into a daycare or something. So I fixed that by giving them a RED MDS flag to hang in the window (problem solved) I sat and talked with the owner and a few of the employees all of which made me feel at home like we where sitting on the sofa drinking beers. Not once did they speak to me like they where better or they where doing me a favor like most shops in the area. Hell these guys might even make me buy a gun local.....
    These guys will get all my money for a local shop if they keep up how they have started...

:party29: :thumbsup:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    7.62x39; 7.62x54 or 7.62x51?

When I was there on Sunday they were letting some shooters try 7.62X39 (I think). The staff was in a 'shake down' mode seeing what the range could handle.

I would call and ask as the were determining a lot of range issues that day (full-auto burst rate, calibers, etc).

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    this is not a personal attack.

I would NEVER want to go to am indoor 25 yard range where people were shooting 7.62x61/54r/51/39 ( maybe even 5.56 ).

there are plenty of outdoor ranges in the area to shoot 50-100 yards ( and longer ).

25 yards is great for pistol, and maybe some pistol caliber carbine.. =)

bring on the attack.. but this is my opinion..

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.

I would NEVER want to go to am indoor 25 yard range where people were shooting 7.62x61/54r/51/39 ( maybe even 5.56 ).

there are plenty of outdoor ranges in the area to shoot 50-100 yards ( and longer ).

No attack but why?? is there danger with shooting the .223/5.56 inside?
    I didn't see an issue today. Now .308 I'd lose my ears even with plugs.
    And I can see their equipment getting damaged over the long term with higher cal

bmoremarine

POLICE OFFICER / SemperFi
    Mar 19, 2011
    Baltimore, MD

I agree but this is suppose to be state of the art setup, they said its rated for .50bmg, but of course I am sure it would take alot of wear and would have to maintained at a higher rate. When I talked they were allowing 7.62x39 and maybe .308, but I would ask first. They were kinda doing a "stress" test to see how the range equipment actually stands up to real world situations.

They are a great group of guys and I am super excited with what they plan on offering in the future.:thumbsup: I wish them well and I will be going there to shoot quite often.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Did you see the large room to the left?
    He said they where still deciding what to do with it.
    ie: airsoft arena etc....
    I mentioned in the mean time they could have a small gun show there as it's over 5000 square feet of room. This is a great place for a meet and greet etc....

Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena
    I think they may need to make that extra room into another range.I think this range will out grow the space already setup. Maybe have a pistol/.22 rifle side and a large rifle/shotgun side. That 12ga that Brian was shooting was LOUD.

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    I really don't care about the facility as much as I do the atmosphere. I walked in nervous at first b/c there was no signage and I didn't want to have guns walking into a daycare or something. So I fixed that by giving them a RED MDS flag to hang in the window (problem solved) I sat and talked with the owner and a few of the employees for almost 30 min all of which made me feel at home like we where sitting on the sofa drinking beers. Not once did they speak to me like they where better or they where doing me a favor like most shops in the area.

Hell these guys might even make me buy a gun local.....
    They are an FFL, Range, will transfer, soon to be Class 3, and best of all treated me well.

:party29: completely agree. Also it was nice meeting you today.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    These folks have a Huge investment so I would hope they are doing their best to provide a warm welcome. MD Shooters Forum provides "Free" Advertisement for Industry Partners and A new Range in Baltimore County is a good thing for the shooting community as well as the businessman smart enough to do it right.

I frankly would be shocked if anyone posted anything negative about the Staff and how they treated us that made a visit.

I have concerns about some of the policies that have been posted in the other thread about what will be allowed. Drawing from a holster is a big one for me. I will not be shooting at this range unless I know exactly what that means. I will not subject myself to someone shooting near me without some formal training. Negligent discharge and someone’s dead....NOT ME :rolleyes:

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    20) Shooters wanting to practice holster draw (strong side belt holsters only) must first be FreeState Holster Draw Certified and notify the RSO. You MUST remove the shooting table from the shooting booth, stay within the shooting booth, and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. Shoulder holsters or cross-draw holsters may not be used unless authorized by the Range Officer.

This... From FreeStates webpage.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Great Place to Shoot

I just got back from shooting my new 4th gen Glock 22 at Freestate and I love the place. The facility is nice with electronic controlled target runners and the people couldn't have been friendlier. They appear to be fully operational with the range, bathrooms, and target sales. It looks like this will be a great facility when the deli/snack bar and classrooms are finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom